Nederland 35 Port Neches-Groves 28/Final

do want to say one off topic statement.  bulldog Season ticket holder, had to wait for some time to get the ones that i have. I noticed 10-15 cops out there however I would like to applaude the Constable that walked the sideline the entire night asking the kids to move from infront of the fence.  It was nice to actually be able to watch such a great game with out having to look around all the kids standing at the fence

do want to say one off topic statement. bulldog Season ticket holder, had to wait for some time to get the ones that i have. I noticed 10-15 cops out there however I would like to applaude the Constable that walked the sideline the entire night asking the kids to move from infront of the fence. It was nice to actually be able to watch such a great game with out having to look around all the kids standing at the fence

I wonder if this was the same Constable that everyone was complaining about on FB for giving everyone parking tickets.

One of the top games ive ever covered. Great great hs game.
Quick thoughts are: PNG is in no danger. They are fine and did what 27 teams before them did. Morse and Sparks are insane combo. Yes Halfin needed way more carries in 1st half.
Seay is one of the top competitors ive ever watched. Krautz is difference maker. Ned WRs arent huge on talent but when needed they make the catches. Ned defense can give up 500 yards but its still the extra 4 yards they don't give up that matters most

They were terrible for both sides. They called 6 on PNG and 11 on ned, it seemed like a lot more

The Chronicle had it 5-35 for PNG and 11-90 on Nederland.

And I am fairly sure that at some point in the game (about 20 pages ago) there was the complaint from a PNG fan that the refs were hounding them and taking the game away. 

I guess it is all comes down to perspective and you notice your own miscues and not those of the other team. 

cant say a word about referees this game for the most part. I do question all the times our running back ran into a pile of Nederland defenders and his helmet was ripped off. Not sure there wasn't a facemask in there somewhere. Did love the play where he was hit in the secondary and the helmet flew about 15' in the air and he just put his head down run over the defender and got a few more positive yards, that was legit. Don't know if it was nerves or what but it seemed to me Morse was off target in the first half. Second half was a lot better. Another 10 seconds and we would have been in overtime. Think it was only fitting that the game ended with Sage And Morse locking up for the last play of the game.  There shouldn't be any if or woulda shoulda coulda. We didn't get the job done in the first half and didn't run the ball. No excuses. Great win by the dogs guess we have to go another  year of the streak lol.  As for our defense now I know a lil more than I did. They still need work .  I hate seeing the pooch kick on kickoffs, this game here is 100% about field position and I firmly believe that it is better to put them back deep than giving any team mid field as their starting point. Do believe this was one of the best MCM ball games I have watched ever with the exception of the lull in the first half. I thought both sides would have had atleast 28 points in the first half. And im not gonna say it was because either team has a good defense , because that is not the case at all. Both offenses didn't show me nothing in the first half, but the second half was impressive by both teams. Time to focus on  Ozen now. This one is in the books and now its on to the next chapter in the saga. Good luck to the dogs and who knows maybe we both go D2 and have a second meeting on a Neutral field not that that doesn't matter.

Helmet don't "fly off" in piles, but they fly off in the secondary. Lol . Everyone plays against the clock. How many teams can say "If we only had 10 more seconds we would have won" ? Well, helmets do come off in piles without facemask penalties and clocks run out on lots of teams. When PNG had their forgettable first half throwing the ball, Nederland scored but 7 points. When PNG had their memorable 2nd half, guess what, we both scored 28.

I don't think for one second that PNG running the ball in the first half would change anything. Bulldogs are great at adjusting. If you ran the ball more, maybe you fumble. No one knows for sure. All that matters is the final score and where the First Bum Phillips Bowl Trophy is sitting.

I wonder if this was the same Constable that everyone was complaining about on FB for giving everyone parking tickets.

that was a bad deal, i was walking passed  when he was asking that man to please move so that others could get by, and the driver and a lady in the truck were using such foul language toward him. 

I saw it on FB and could not believe he only wrote a ticket.

Dont know the guy,but spoke to us several times while he walked the sidelines, seems to be ok person

One of the top games ive ever covered. Great great hs game.
Quick thoughts are: PNG is in no danger. They are fine and did what 27 teams before them did. Morse and Sparks are insane combo. Yes Halfin needed way more carries in 1st half.
Seay is one of the top competitors ive ever watched. Krautz is difference maker. Ned WRs arent huge on talent but when needed they make the catches. Ned defense can give up 500 yards but its still the extra 4 yards they don't give up that matters most

well said, two very competitive team.  both sides did an extremely good job.  no head need to hang low about this game

Saw a piece if the replay on time warner...one day, someone is gonna be watching this game and wondering who in the heck Nederland was playing in those gray and white uniforms??? Just doesn't look like png to me.

Great game played by both sides and that's what makes this rivalry the best around, period....we are just in a phase of this thing right now where png needs to make some adjustments if they expect to beat the Dogs....my assessment is that Nederland currently just has created a "tougher" program that just has more nasty in it than png does...fancy offenses, alternate uniforms, 7 on 7 success, nice facilities and the sort are very nice, but these games come down to who can put their hand in the dirt and hit somebody in the mouth while taking some shots themselves....both teams played their guts out, Nederland just had a little more...this was another game that png could have easily won on paper, but these Nederland teams just seem to grind it out, fight like hell and refuse to be denied...congrats Dogs on another amazing win! These kids were not gonna let png be the ones to end Nederlands streak against the district and against the Indians, especially not on their field...png will be fine in district with maybe the exception if the central game...central a speed may give them fits but that will be another good one

Saw a piece if the replay on time warner...one day, someone is gonna be watching this game and wondering who in the heck Nederland was playing in those gray and white uniforms??? Just doesn't look like png to me.

Great game played by both sides and that's what makes this rivalry the best around, period....we are just in a phase of this thing right now where png needs to make some adjustments if they expect to beat the Dogs....my assessment is that Nederland currently just has created a "tougher" program that just has more nasty in it than png does...fancy offenses, alternate uniforms, 7 on 7 success, nice facilities and the sort are very nice, but these games come down to who can put their hand in the dirt and hit somebody in the mouth while taking some shots themselves....both teams played their guts out, Nederland just had a little more...this was another game that png could have easily won on paper, but these Nederland teams just seem to grind it out, fight like hell and refuse to be denied...congrats Dogs on another amazing win! These kids were not gonna let png be the ones to end Nederlands streak against the district and against the Indians, especially not on their field...png will be fine in district with maybe the exception if the central game...central a speed may give them fits but that will be another good one

I was thinking the same thing. That grey and white team sure didn't look like the PN-G Indians I know and love. Looks like those 61-year-old uniforms did as much to motivate that team as Bobby August's "Black Knights" uniforms did for the Dogs in 1992.  I hope those old grey things get thrown back on the ash heap of history, where they belong. Purple and White 4-EVER!! 

Congratulations to Nederland on their 28-game district winning streak. During the glory years of the 1970s, PN-G had a 34-game district winning streak. If Nederland wins out this year, they have a good chance next year to match, or break, our record.

I was thinking the same thing. That grey and white team sure didn't look like the PN-G Indians I know and love. Looks like those 61-year-old uniforms did as much to motivate that team as Bobby August's "Black Knights" uniforms did for the Dogs in 1992. I hope those old grey things get thrown back on the ash heap of history, where they belong. Purple and White 4-EVER!!

Congratulations to Nederland on their 28-game district winning streak. During the glory years of the 1970s, PN-G had a 34-game district winning streak. If Nederland wins out this year, they have a good chance next year to match, or break, our record.

On your website, the longest streak I see has already been brojen by Nederlands current run of 28?

I love how png fans keep repeating the "61 year old uniforms" stuff. That's not even close especially since they changed color schemes in 91 and bought uniforms a couple of years ago. That's ok, we proved that uniforms and pretty facilities don't win games! 😉😝

Read it again. Hes refering to the grey. It was 61 years ago PNG wore the grey.

Read it again. Hes refering to the grey. It was 61 years ago PNG wore the grey.

Why are people saying the Indians wore gray in 1953?  PN-G history shows the only students to wear gray was the band due to shortage of material.  Such a shame tradition is being broken.

1925:   Port Neches Common School District #16

Port Neches High School on Main Avenue

Colors: Purple and White

Mascot: Indians

First football game against Silsbee, then Nederland

1930:   Texas Interscholastic League Football

1933:   First district football championship

1936:   Indian band performed at halftime; pep squad had purple and white uniforms; Betty Ruth Wager was the first drum major

1943-1944: No marching band as a result of instrument shortage and difficulty hiring directors who were serving in armed forces; Band uniforms were gray one year due to shortage of material

What's with all the talk about the uniforms? Is it that hard to come out and say "Wow! That was a great game!". For those griping about the "lack of purple", you wouldn't have seen it anyway. We were the "away" team, meaning we would have been in the all white uniforms (my personal favorite) had we not been in grey pants and helmets. The kids love the throwback look. I prefer it with the purple jerseys (but to each his own).

And please, keep telling the PNG fans they have no idea about their school history. I'm sure that's going to go over well. Concernedfortx, notice the little bit of history you posted goes up to year 1944? We're talking about the year 1953. And I doubt any common search of PNG history is going to say "1953: The Indians wore grey pants". It's not a very significant fact (the band stuff is noted, I'm sure, to highlight the impact the war had on the school). Check out the Glory Trails video, around 13 mins starts the 1950's. At 13:16 there's a good shot of the players in their uniforms. Pants aren't dark enough to be purple, and the shirts are very obviously white and much lighter than the pants. That leads me to believe that, yes, indeed, the pants were grey! ::gasp::

Does anyone have a color photo of the 1953 State Champs so we can put this to bed?

What's with all the talk about the uniforms? Is it that hard to come out and say "Wow! That was a great game!". For those griping about the "lack of purple", you wouldn't have seen it anyway. We were the "away" team, meaning we would have been in the all white uniforms (my personal favorite) had we not been in grey pants and helmets. The kids love the throwback look. I prefer it with the purple jerseys (but to each his own).

And please, keep telling the PNG fans they have no idea about their school history. I'm sure that's going to go over well. Concernedfortx, notice the little bit of history you posted goes up to year 1944? We're talking about the year 1953. And I doubt any common search of PNG history is going to say "1953: The Indians wore grey pants". It's not a very significant fact (the band stuff is noted, I'm sure, to highlight the impact the war had on the school). Check out the Glory Trails video, around 13 mins starts the 1950's. At 13:16 there's a good shot of the players in their uniforms. Pants aren't dark enough to be purple, and the shirts are very obviously white and much lighter than the pants. That leads me to believe that, yes, indeed, the pants were grey! ::gasp::

Does anyone have a color photo of the 1953 State Champs so we can put this to bed?

they hating on the Grey pants. It's that simple.

And please, keep telling the PNG fans they have no idea about their school history. I'm sure that's going to go over well. Concernedfortx, notice the little bit of history you posted goes up to year 1944? We're talking about the year 1953. And I doubt any common search of PNG history is going to say "1953: The Indians wore grey pants". It's not a very significant fact (the band stuff is noted, I'm sure, to highlight the impact the war had on the school). Check out the Glory Trails video, around 13 mins starts the 1950's. At 13:16 there's a good shot of the players in their uniforms. Pants aren't dark enough to be purple, and the shirts are very obviously white and much lighter than the pants. That leads me to believe that, yes, indeed, the pants were grey! ::gasp::

If the Indians would have worn gray back then, why is it just coming up now?  There are players around from back then.  The whole point is tradition!  People FROM Port Neches-Groves know and love their tradition.

I commented about the "uniform" situation because it has been brought up by both Nederland and PN-G alike.  There is nothing to comment about the game.  We were out played.  Nederland did an excellent job and deserves the win.  They worked hard out on that field for that trophy.

The remaining history was not quoted because it discusses nothing about color change.  The history of the school comes from PN-G ISD itself.  

And don't talk to me about "PN-G fans."  Our entire family has been living and attending school in Port Neches for over 85 years.