Newton 19 West Orange-Stark 7/Final

WOSgrad

TEM4ame="stangx2" post="1552821" timestamp="1412795613"]

Yes hj has a lot of basketball history, I certainly would not debate that. However, it's a football thread and sorry to tell them that football pays the bills. WOS needs a more competitive district and I am glad to see them doing well.

Got to say that WOS should be much better in basketball than what we have been, we should put more importance on that area of our program. It should not be when one sport is on an elite level the rest should suffer.

Aggies, what area do you think WOS is weaker? Lost two offensive lineman (at least to the best of my recollection), both linebackers I believe, one starting cb (two if you count james), Chris James at rb, and then the QB attrition in the offseason.

Not really a large loss from the team from last year. Now if you say the line isn't playing up to its capabilities, I can possibly agree with that. If you say the Qb is inconsistent because he is young, I might possibly can agree with that. However, Mr. Cole took a few games to get his footing as well. I think this is just as talented a team overall as last year, but i would agree not as good as two years ago. Now are we playing as well as last year, you might have a case there. However, most people said we couldn't hang with PNG and Foster and we did. Would this discussion be taking place had we drummed Newton? Now next year, I expect us to start slow and who knows. We will be loosing a lot of talent this year.

Aggie, let me say I do value your opinion highly.[/quote]

By the Total numbers so far I believe 2014 had the best overall TEAM..
2013 included

Of course, no one wants to lose Cornel, but, he is 67 and no telling how much longer he is going to coach. Maybe 2 years, maybe 10. We will see. I bet he is grtting his teeth that he did not give Cole more assurances that he would start at QB this year. Yes, I think he needs to modify the Mustang Mile for the bigger guys. Will he do it? Doubt it. Will the WOS line continue to be smaller and blown out in the playoffs? Most probably, unless a new year brings bigger and faster linemen, that WOS never sees. The Newton game showed how much WOS depends on one player. Hope they can develop some better skills in others.

I would not want to be Liberty this Friday. haha.

Congrats to a well played game by Newton! Hope they continue with this caliber of play!

By the way, how many people know that Curtis Barbay's career started at West Orange, in the 60's? Wish he was still with us. A great man and a great coach.

WOS front line is made up of some good Athletes! not sure what the problem has been, but I have to agree that if WOS wants to make a deep playoff run they will at sometime need to establish a run game. WOS throws the ball way to much! I'm kinda think the OL was better last year, especially over the ball! Lol. IMO this team is not near as good as last years team. And that includes both offense and defense. With that said I still believe with the right play calling things can turnaround quick and WOS could see their spot at Jerry world.

Well what if they do win the game? What will you say then. Just asking. Not trying to ruffle bear hides.

I've answered that already....due to loss of bet to beldmon I'll change my avatar to HJ and eat my crow....for the record, and I've said this before also - I'm not an HJ hater...nor a WOS supporter...

When Silsbee gets finished reeling off about 15 district championships in a row, their basketball tradition will speak for itself. And I think they have a decent chance at bringing home the big prize sometime between 2016/2017 and 2018/2109.

I agree, To add to that, Silsbee has more success in their overall athletic program (boys and girls) year in and year out than anyone in the area....Aggiesarewe can give more detail....

You want a running game, you have to have a line with some meat and muscle, to open the holes.

I agree 100%. I thought last year they needed to run more, and they seemed to have some lineman that could give that support. what I saw last year in the run game, the backs would run to much east and west and not north and south which created some loss of yardage. This year Teate does a great job hitting the holes but the blocking isn't there. Maybe it will get better.

I think someone should start a West-Orange- Hardin- Jefferson thread. I am from Newton and I thought our game was over Friday night. That being said, West-Orange has already regrouped and they will be someone that will be ready for anyone anywhere. also playing quality teams don't just help the kids. It mentally prepares the coaches for better teams in the play-offs.JMO

I think someone should start a West-Orange- Hardin- Jefferson thread. I am from Newton and I thought our game was over Friday night. That being said, West-Orange has already regrouped and they will be someone that will be ready for anyone anywhere. also playing quality teams don't just help the kids. It mentally prepares the coaches for better teams in the play-offs.JMO

It also reveals weakness.

I had rather see my weaknesses early in the season, instead of them showing up come playoffs!

10-4, all the opposing coaches like to see it also. It gives them a different perspective when they are planning on Saturdays.

@ Marshman

Great question, Ok I'll say it recruit more diversity as far as coaching.  What I noticed from observing the sideline at the Richmond Foster game was that even though Fort Bend Richmond Foster had very few minority players, their coaching staff was impressive. If I were coach T. after this year I would propose a  more diverse coaching staff, even if he has to go out of state to find better coaches. He needs help! Schools recruit out of state all the time. 

@ Marshman

Great question, Ok I'll say it recruit more diversity as far as coaching.  What I noticed from observing the sideline at the Richmond Foster game was that even though Fort Bend Richmond Foster had very few minority players, their coaching staff was impressive. If I were coach T. after this year I would propose a  more diverse coaching staff, even if he has to go out of state to find better coaches. He needs help! Schools recruit out of state all the time. 

I asked a question about what if any changes needed to be made to the Mustang mile.  How does hiring a diverse staff relate to that? Or am I missing something about the Mustang mile?