Newton 19 West Orange-Stark 7/Final

WOSgrad

I think your a little hard on ole Chuk. It would be hard for another coach to come in here and run T's 52 defense. One of the advantages we have had is the constant of the Chain Gang defense. We teach it in Lil Mustangs all the way up to high school and have for years. Several teams have talent perhaps equal or slightly less to the Mustangs in our area but are a good coach away from turning their program around. A good coach means a lot, just ask hj. A good coach can make the talent better, a bad coach and it really doesn't matter the talent level. We have gone through a lot of assistant coaches in our history, not all of them were good coaches. The one constant except for a year or so has been Cornel Thompson.

We have been blessed with a lot of kids that can really play football, but I will tell you for sure some of the best football players never played football at WOS. They didn't want to go through the conditioning he makes the players go through. Just for the record I am talking about black, white, and hispanic kids. Yes, talent will rise to the top, but it is the coach who either gives that talent a place to shine or have that talent on the bench and never see the light of day.

We are really blessed in our communities to have outstanding men teach or our kids at the peewee level. We are oustanding because we are all on the same page. Bring someone else in and that page, like it or not, does get changed and would have take some time to be adjusted to.

Your way off base with the Penn State remark.  Believe it or not, he knows a thing or two about coaches.

I have been absent for a while ind missed a few post.
I really like this post. You were spot on about the youth football program running the same defense being important. You spoke about the tradition here in orange and the FACT there this is a talent rich town. I do believe that it takes a a good coach to take all those ingredients and put together a winning program. Which Thompson has done. BUT I don't think I was to hard on him because unlike you he only credited Thompson. As far as the penn state remark I do apologies because that situation was horrible. My comment was based on the similarities in attitudes and the protect the program at all cost atmosphere. As I read through some of the post on this site it's scary how many folks loose it when someone questions Thompson. It's borderline cultish. I stated in an earlier post that some folks put too much faith in man. Any man not just the coach. It is a recipe for disaster because the man becomes bigger than the sport, school, church or anything he heads. That usually leads to followers compromising themselves when dealing with the man. I'm not admitting that that's what's going on at WOS but it is alarming to watch. WOS 35-6