#6 Texas A&M at #12 Mississippi State.

king

Miss State has one of the worse pass defenses in the country. Look for Kenny to have a big day.

This is the big factor. LSU's lack of a passing game made State's defense look better than it actually is. A&M will get their points. The question is, as it was with Arkansas, is whether A&M's defense can hold up.

State doesn't have the big backs Arkansas has. But State's running back is supplemented by the running of Prescott. Plus Prescott is a better passer than the Arkansas qb.

I guessed 31-21 State earlier this week. But for 2 penalties Arkansas wouldve hung 42 on A&M. I believe Prescott makes State's offense more dynamic than Arkansas'.

New guess is State 45 Arkansas 31.

I'm not gonna lie.....this game has me nervous. We've out scored them early two years in a row. Prescott wasn't 100% last year.
11:00 am game so I hope the home team crowd doesn't wake up those cow bells til it's too late.

If this game does not make the Aggie faithful a little nervous they are more confident than I am.  Still think that A&M pulls it out in another nail biter.

But for 2 penalties Arkansas wouldve hung 42 on A&M. I believe Prescott makes State's offense more dynamic than Arkansas'.

Only disagreement that I have with that is that is that not for like 3-4 dropped passes A&M would have hung 49 on Arkansas - so we can go back an fourth on this all day - fact is that when if counted A&M's defense stopped Arkansas on straight drives late in the game and then scored on each of it's last drives including OT to take the win.  That is the sign of a team that is maturing.

This is the big factor. LSU's lack of a passing game made State's defense look better than it actually is. A&M will get their points. The question is, as it was with Arkansas, is whether A&M's defense can hold up.

State doesn't have the big backs Arkansas has. But State's running back is supplemented by the running of Prescott. Plus Prescott is a better passer than the Arkansas qb.

I guessed 31-21 State earlier this week. But for 2 penalties Arkansas wouldve hung 42 on A&M. I believe Prescott makes State's offense more dynamic than Arkansas'.

New guess is State 45 Arkansas 31.

Says the person who made this prediction in the Auburn/K-State game:

Auburn wins this one easily.

48-17

:rolleyes:

Want to play that what if game? If K-State doesn't miss the chip shot FG's, Auburn has 1 loss and not ranked in top 10. ;)

If this game does not make the Aggie faithful a little nervous they are more confident than I am.  Still think that A&M pulls it out in another nail biter.

But for 2 penalties Arkansas wouldve hung 42 on A&M. I believe Prescott makes State's offense more dynamic than Arkansas'.

Only disagreement that I have with that is that is that not for like 3-4 dropped passes A&M would have hung 49 on Arkansas - so we can go back an fourth on this all day - fact is that when if counted A&M's defense stopped Arkansas on straight drives late in the game and then scored on each of it's last drives including OT to take the win.  That is the sign of a team that is maturing.

The point I'm trying to make is Arkansas had 14 points taken off the board by their own mistakes. Not by A&M's defense stopping them on those two drives. A&M's defense is still soft.

Says the person who made this prediction in the Auburn/K-State game:

Auburn wins this one easily.

48-17

:rolleyes:

Want to play that what if game? If K-State doesn't miss the chip shot FG's, Auburn has 1 loss and not ranked in top 10. ;)

What does KSt missing two field goals against Auburn have to do with A&M's soft defense? Which is the point i was attempting to make in the first post.

One could say the holding penalties that wiped out the TD's kept the Aggie D from sacking the QB(or at the least hurrying him to a poor pass) before he got the passes off. ;)

Again, the "what if" can be played in circles.

Not really. IIRC the guy being held on the called back td pass would not have influenced the passer should the hold not taken place.

I was referring to the leg whip call on the second td. So i misspoke as a td wasn't scored by the Arkansas player. Yet the ball carrier was through the line after the leg whip occured.

Spin it the way you want to. Bottom line is A&M's defense gave up alot of yards and alot of points to Arkansas. And State is poised to do the same thing Saturday. Thus the basis of my prediction.

Not really. IIRC the guy being held on the called back td pass would not have influenced the passer should the hold not taken place.

I was referring to the leg whip call on the second td. So i misspoke as a td wasn't scored by the Arkansas player. Yet the ball carrier was through the line after the leg whip occured.

Spin it the way you want to. Bottom line is A&M's defense gave up alot of yards and alot of points to Arkansas. And State is poised to do the same thing Saturday. Thus the basis of my prediction.

Point noted.  But take 2 plays (1 a fake punt) off the board for Arkansas and they had only 383 total offense - while still not bad not near what A&M would have given up in 2003 - thus the basis for my optimism.  

Point noted.  But take 2 plays (1 a fake punt) off the board for Arkansas and they had only 383 total offense - while still not bad not near what A&M would have given up in 2003 - thus the basis for my optimism.  

Yeah. The fake point shouldn't count towards total yardage given up by the defense as the true defense wasn't on the field.  So back that out and the total yardage given up by the A&M defense is 433 yards.

I am not "spinning" anything. Just stating playing the "what if" game goes both ways and really is a waste of time.

The fact is, A&M defense is better. That may not be saying much, but it is fact. I am confident and feel good about how much the Aggie D has improved this season from the last few seasons. Not to the Wrecking Crew level yet, but I see it on the horizon.

I am not "spinning" anything. Just stating playing the "what if" game goes both ways and really is a waste of time.

The fact is, A&M defense is better. That may not be saying much, but it is fact. I am confident and feel good about how much the Aggie D has improved this season from the last few seasons. Not to the Wrecking Crew level yet, but I see it on the horizon.

Hey i understand. I just don't like to guess a score without a little reasoning offered with it. Thus my premise A&M's defense will have problems Saturday.

It'll be a great game. The first of 3 that day.

So true on the "what if game." Always plenty of those on both sides and that game was no exception.

As for the Aggie defense, I agree saying they are better (and they certainly are) isn't saying much considering last year's awful unit. But this one is MUCH better to my eyes, and look to me like they are improving weekly. Which isn't surprising either given their youth.

So true on the "what if game." Always plenty of those on both sides and that game was no exception.

As for the Aggie defense, I agree saying they are better (and they certainly are) isn't saying much considering last year's awful unit. But this one is MUCH better to my eyes, and look to me like they are improving weekly. Which isn't surprising either given their youth.

And one of the advantages of youth is fast learning and adaptability.

I agree that they are playing better than last year.

Just not Wrecking Crew II.

Myles Garrett is one of the best players in the country as a true freshman. He will be in the conversation for the #1 pick overall in a few years. A&M had zero pass rush last year, so Myles is a great addition to the defense. This young group will only get better if they stay healthy.

Myles Garrett is one of the best players in the country as a true freshman. He will be in the conversation for the #1 pick overall in a few years. A&M had zero pass rush last year, so Myles is a great addition to the defense. This young group will only get better if they stay healthy.

Or leave school early for the NFL paycheck