Growth Coming to Southeast Texas

PN-G bamatex

http://kfdm.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/kfdm_txdot-prepares-growth-southeast-texas-11885.shtml

Considering that the last census pegged the Beaumont-Port Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area as one of only two stagnant MSAs in the more than thirty in the state, it's about time.

The KFDM story was only a feel-good stroy and lacked specifics, but with the annouced plant expansions and the ship channel deepening project, I can see things getting better. Due to Southeast Texas geographic location, existing infrastructure and the country's increasing energy needs, it only makes sense!

I read up on this earlier, I expect a little growth but nothing major. I expect ppl to start moving from here to the Houston area more rapidly soon.

There is only so much that Houston can grow before it gets so big that it is unamanageable to live in.  Now can it double in size before it just gets too big?  Maybe but if it were then BMT/PA would surely benefit some from that type of growth.  Of course that will be another 20 years or more!!

Not trying to be a downer, but if you look at these expansions they bring in alot of construction jobs while they are going on but not a whole bunch of permanent jobs.  It does expand the tax base however.   They might build two whole new units in a refinery but they only need maybe 10-15 operators to run it.

Not trying to be a downer, but if you look at these expansions they bring in alot of construction jobs while they are going on but not a whole bunch of permanent jobs.  It does expand the tax base however.   They might build two whole new units in a refinery but they only need maybe 10-15 operators to run it.

Good point, but the operators aren't the only permanent jobs that refineries create. How many more contractors are they bringing in for maintenance and whatnot afterwards?

Good point, but the operators aren't the only permanent jobs that refineries create. How many more contractors are they bringing in for maintenance and whatnot afterwards?

Depends.  If the refinery prefers in-house maintenance and I&E techs, they will hire them.  Some stuff is contracted out.  But look at PA's and Beaumont's unemployment rates , they haven't gone down much since the last expansions ( Motiva, ATOFina, etc.)  The PA council is still mad at them for not hiring local, but there are not enough qualified people!

To Bigdog's point that is true and I just had that discussion this morning. Let's look at ExxonMobil. They are "expanding" in the Woodlands with a multibillion campus that will bring about 8,000 additional jobs to the Houston area. From what I heard, they could be spending $10 billion on an expansion of the refinery in Beaumont but it will only provide, lets say no more than 100 permenant jobs. Yes the 4 years or so of construction jobs in the area are a really good shot inthe arm and it does create other spinoff permanant jobs. Still very good news!