Abuse of power??

Guest ECBucFan

Definitely have to side with the refs on this one! Short of some kind of crazy brawl like Ozen-LaMarque had where its totally out of control, let the Refs manage the game. Game management is their role.

Conversely, Law enforcement is there for the control of the crowd, and they are not there to interject themselves on to the football feild for a simple "tussel" between opposing players. I can see potential for great controversy if Law enforcement starts doing this, especially to confront a visiting rival player in a heated game demanding an ejection.       

It seems quite obvious that the officer should have stayed on the sidelines. It wasn't any of his business any more than any other person there except the participants like coaches, other players and refs. 

Did he abuse power? I have no clue because I haven't read what he said in the discussion with the refs. Did he threaten to arrest the player or the refs or did he simply voice an opinion which should have been brought up at a more appropriate time like after the game? 

For those that do not know, TX has an assault law specifically for sporting events like a high school football game but it does not apply to those sports participants (players, refs, coaches). It only applies to outsiders such as fans...... or the officer. 

I would be interested to know what the coaches on both sides were doing during the "tussle" and what their take on all of this is.  I would think that if it was too bad, the coaches would have stormed the field.  However, on another level, if the Splendora guy WAS strangling the Tarkington guy, one; I would think that would be on film somewhere, 2. perhaps there something to come if indeed that was true.  Personally, I think "strangling" is a bit different from pushing and shoving and even throwing a punch...jmo.

I would be interested to know what the coaches on both sides were doing during the "tussle" and what their take on all of this is.  I would think that if it was too bad, the coaches would have stormed the field.  However, on another level, if the Splendora guy WAS strangling the Tarkington guy, one; I would think that would be on film somewhere, 2. perhaps there something to come if indeed that was true.  Personally, I think "strangling" is a bit different from pushing and shoving and even throwing a punch...jmo.

I agree.

If the player was physically threatening the life of another player outside of normal football happenings, then the constable should have arrested the kid for attempted murder. It is in no way his business if the player should be kicked out of a game or penalized yardage. He has no more authority to tell the ref what to do than anyone else in the stands. In this case the constable is probably consider to be trespassing and while carrying a firearm it is a felony. If none of the coaches or other players were worried enough to charge the field, then it probably wasn't as serious as the constable thought! If he was really choking him, both sidelines would have cleared!

If the player was physically threatening the life of another player outside of normal football happenings, then the constable should have arrested the kid for attempted murder. It is in no way his business if the player should be kicked out of a game or penalized yardage. He has no more authority to tell the ref what to do than anyone else in the stands. In this case the constable is probably consider to be trespassing and while carrying a firearm it is a felony. If none of the coaches or other players were worried enough to charge the field, then it probably wasn't as serious as the constable thought! If he was really choking him, both sidelines would have cleared!

you may want to read this.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/?link=PE

Not a choke, Constable wanted to arrest the player...It was uncalled for.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/constable-confronts-referees-stops-high-school-football-game/27862964

A game official, who asked not to be named, said the referees couldn't tell exactly where the player's hands were, but still threw a red flag, penalizing Splendora for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

are official using a red flags now or is this something new?

There is no doubt after looking at the picture he was strangling him! Wow that's crazy, somebody needed to step in ! If the officer observed the strangulation taking place absolutely stop it. If it was over and broken up leave it to the refs to do there job and then take the issue up with UIL and TASO afterwards if you still have a problem. I would hope the kid doing this is taken care of by his coach. A punch or fight with all that gear on is pretty much harmless but that's ridiculous !

Guest ECBucFan

There is no doubt after looking at the picture he was strangling him! Wow that's crazy, somebody needed to step in ! If the officer observed the strangulation taking place absolutely stop it. If it was over and broken up leave it to the refs to do there job and then take the issue up with UIL and TASO afterwards if you still have a problem. I would hope the kid doing this is taken care of by his coach. A punch or fight with all that gear on is pretty much harmless but that's ridiculous !

I totally disagree. What you see is a snapshop, just a split second in time. The "tussel" began, and the player grabbed the other by the top front edge of the shoulder pads and slung him to the ground. How can I tell? Look at the players right leg, its up on its tiptoe, you can see the momentum. What you see is slinging motion in action, not a strangulation.

I think it was long since over. The refs had already thrown the flag and were assessing or had assessed a penalty. The constable didn't like the call. 

It wasn't any of his business as he wasn't rushing to someone's aid but arguing with refs. 

There was no "absolutely stopping it" in the equation. 

Maybe those refs can follow the constable around when he is on patrol and when he makes a traffic stop, they can watch over his shoulder and throw a flag if he or the driver gets out of line. It makes about as much sense. 

I think it was long since over. The refs had already thrown the flag and were assessing or had assessed a penalty. The constable didn't like the call.

It wasn't any of his business as he wasn't rushing to someone's aid but arguing with refs.

There was no "absolutely stopping it" in the equation.

Maybe those refs can follow the constable around when he is on patrol and when he makes a traffic stop, they can watch over his shoulder and throw a flag if he or the driver gets out of line. It makes about as much sense.

People do it everyday.