Dr Ben Carson

Big girl

Admits on "The View" that his mother received welfare assistance. He also said that his grades improved tremendously when he was able to receive glasses because of a government funded program for the poor, yet he supports the Republicans when it pertains to massive cuts in SNAP and welfare benefits. He said things were different when he was on government assistance. He is a hypocrite and he has forgotten where he came from. Smdh

Of course you dont want him to succeed.  He believes that ultimately, one lifts HIMSELF/HERSELF out of adversity and dedicates his/her time and efforts to bettering himself/herself rather than lamenting about his/her situation and how unfair it is.  Nobody is saying that the poor shouldnt be helped.  What they are saying is that we need a system that encourages the poor to get themselves out of their circumstances rather than making them believe there is a certain "nobility" to their circumstances and there is no limit to the amount of time that they can remain on govt assistance.

Of course you dont want him to succeed.  He believes that ultimately, one lifts HIMSELF/HERSELF out of adversity and dedicates his/her time and efforts to bettering himself/herself rather than lamenting about his/her situation and how unfair it is.  Nobody is saying that the poor shouldnt be helped.  What they are saying is that we need a system that encourages the poor to get themselves out of their circumstances rather than making them believe there is a certain "nobility" to their circumstances and there is no limit to the amount of time that they can remain on govt assistance.

Steve, again you are wasting your breathe (or your fingers typing this response)!!!  Those who "haven't pulled themselves up by their bootstraps" resent those who have and want to hold everybody else back and make them victims of the system instead of working within the system to achieve success.  With all the legislation that has been put in place to provide a level playing field (you could make a "sane" arugument that the field is actually tilted toward everyone except white anglo saxon males), individuals like Dr. Ben Carson have every opportunity to succeed!!  Yet their is still the cry of racism and that things are not fair.  Life is not fair for anybody!!  No one is immune to persecution or prejudice (yes their is prejudice everywhere in all matters, even prejudice within the same race based on things other than skin color/ethnicity)!!  The main thing that I have heard Dr. Carson say is that his mother was clear that she would not accept any excuse, even his race, as a reason for him to fail!  Sound like a very wise woman to me and he is lucky to have had her as his mother!!  All parents of every race should take the same approach.  In fact, the Asians parents may be the best at this as they have proven consistently that they expect great things from their kids and raise them up to achieve!  You can bet they do not allow excuses as a reason not to be successful!!

Of course you dont want him to succeed. He believes that ultimately, one lifts HIMSELF/HERSELF out of adversity and dedicates his/her time and efforts to bettering himself/herself rather than lamenting about his/her situation and how unfair it is. Nobody is saying that the poor shouldnt be helped. What they are saying is that we need a system that encourages the poor to get themselves out of their circumstances rather than making them believe there is a certain "nobility" to their circumstances and there is no limit to the amount of time that they can remain on govt assistance.

you can only get TANF for 5 yrs. He wants massive cuts now. What if it affects the people who are trying to better themselves. Hypocrite

Steve, again you are wasting your breathe (or your fingers typing this response)!!! Those who "haven't pulled themselves up by their bootstraps" resent those who have and want to hold everybody else back and make them victims of the system instead of working within the system to achieve success. With all the legislation that has been put in place to provide a level playing field (you could make a "sane" arugument that the field is actually tilted toward everyone except white anglo saxon males), individuals like Dr. Ben Carson have every opportunity to succeed!! Yet their is still the cry of racism and that things are not fair. Life is not fair for anybody!! No one is immune to persecution or prejudice (yes their is prejudice everywhere in all matters, even prejudice within the same race based on things other than skin color/ethnicity)!! The main thing that I have heard Dr. Carson say is that his mother was clear that she would not accept any excuse, even his race, as a reason for him to fail! Sound like a very wise woman to me and he is lucky to have had her as his mother!! All parents of every race should take the same approach. In fact, the Asians parents may be the best at this as they have proven consistently that they expect great things from their kids and raise them up to achieve! You can bet they do not allow excuses as a reason not to be successful!!

how did he pull himself up by his bootstraps ( nobody does, that a myth) when he received government assistance? If I am not mistaken he received a pell grant which is another form of assistance. I have two college degrees and I know I didnt pull myself up by my bootstraps. My first degree was attainable because of a basketball Schlorship, the second happened as a result of me receiving stipends and school loans

Admits on "The View" that his mother received welfare assistance. He also said that his grades improved tremendously when he was able to receive glasses because of a government funded program for the poor, yet he supports the Republicans when it pertains to massive cuts in SNAP and welfare benefits. He said things were different when he was on government assistance. He is a hypocrite and he has forgotten where he came from. Smdh

you can only get TANF for 5 yrs. He wants massive cuts now. What if it affects the people who are trying to better themselves. Hypocrite

I guess that is temporary compared to a lifetime.

The welfare system is flawed and has a lot of waste. The cuts need to happen and will at some point.

Cuts need to be made in a lot more than just welfare.

When people hear cuts they thing someone is going to someone's house and taking back their food stamps and children are going to bed hungry, A cut can be as simple as staffing reductions or combining jobs. At my job, I lost my assistant manager and gained a full time employee. I now delegate their task to all my employee's. It works great and I saved some money.

This thread is about ben Carson's hypocrisy. The term "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" means you achieved success without any outside help. We know that is not the case with Ben. He almost flunked out of school. He had to get a tutor. He was on welfare etc

This thread is about ben Carson's hypocrisy. The term "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" means you achieved success without any outside help. We know that is not the case with Ben. He almost flunked out of school. He had to get a tutor. He was on welfare etc

So....he can't improve a system, make cuts to take out the waste because he used the "old Program"?

If he does, he is a hypocrite?

Am I reading you correctly?

how did he pull himself up by his bootstraps ( nobody does, that a myth) when he received government assistance? If I am not mistaken he received a pell grant which is another form of assistance. I have two college degrees and I know I didnt pull myself up by my bootstraps. My first degree was attainable because of a basketball Schlorship, the second happened as a result of me receiving stipends and school loans

I see I wasted my breath as well. SMDH!!!!

I guess it was the government who got the Medical Degree and not Dr. Carson.

He is belittling those currently on welfare. He has no idea what those kids future will be. Some of those kids could become doctors or lawyers. He said and I am quoting him "that it was okay being on welfare when he was on it". He doesnt think it so cool now. He is a hypocrite based on that statement alone.

He is belittling those currently on welfare. He has no idea what those kids future will be. Some of those kids could become doctors or lawyers. He said and I am quoting him "that it was okay being on welfare when he was on it". He doesnt think it so cool now. He is a hypocrite based on that statement alone.

This is what I found he said...if you have a link where he said what you "quoted", post it.

“When you rob someone of their incentive to go out there and improve themselves, you are not doing them any favors. When you take somebody and pat them on the head and say, ‘There, there, you poor little thing. … Let me give you housing subsidies, let me give you free health care because you can’t do that.’ What would be much more empowering is to use our intellect and our resources to give those people a way up and out.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/21/ben-carson-rocks-liberal-set-view-welfare-critique/#ixzz32wgW24V4 
r

Those statements are what my problem with him is. I am not talking about government cutbacks etc. I am talking about him demeaning welfare recipients, that is akin to me belittling people who go to college on basketball Schlorships. I did, so I would sound like an idiot. ( went to college on a basketball Schlorship)

Those statements are what my problem with him is. I am not talking about government cutbacks etc. I am talking about him demeaning welfare recipients, that is akin to me belittling people who go to college on basketball Schlorships. I did, so I would sound like an idiot. ( went to college on a basketball Schlorship)

He is not belittling the recipients, he is talking to the politicians that throw the crumbs to the recipients in order to get their vote.

he DID NOT pull himself up by his bootstraps. He had help period........

So he is a great example of what he is talking about!!  He had help but he used that help to improve himself so that he did not stay permenantly on the government dole!!  That is what he is trying to communicate but I see that his message is not registering very well with everybody!!!

Who cares about Ben he's either a hypocrite or just believe he's better than most. To use a system that help him out tremendously than turn around and basically look down on it. He could of used his story to empower those on welfare to make a change instead he chose to belittle them..smh Ben Carson is just a Republican puppet AKA Uncle Tom.

Who cares about Ben he's either a hypocrite or just believe he's better than most. To use a system that help him out tremendously than turn around and basically look down on it. He could of used his story to empower those on welfare to make a change instead he chose to belittle them..smh Ben Carson is just a Republican puppet AKA Uncle Tom.

Because he is black and does not agree with you he is an Uncle Tom? Really? A black successful brain surgeon you are calling an uncle Tom......I would be careful who you call racist........

Uncle Tom

:  a black who is overeager to win the approval of whites (as by obsequious behavior or uncritical acceptance of white values and goals)
:  a member of a low-status group who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority <the worst floor managers and supervisors by far are women … Some of them are regular Uncle Toms — Jane Fonda>

PamFAm   Google Ben Carson on the View and maybe you will understand what he is saying.  Of course, now that you have made your "declaration" of what you "believe" he is, there is no way you will backpeddle and admit the guy is a reasonable individual trying to solve one of todays largest problems.  I find it odd that so many of you folks want to declare him a hypocrite or a racist for simply saying that the system needs to change so as to encourage people to want to escape their existing dilemma.    But everyone is so afraid that some "gravy" might be removed or made more difficult to acquire that declaring him an uncle tom or a sellout is the easier thing to do.