David Suggs just named HC at Ozen!!!

Gtj007

You do playaction passes. More than likely, if a team is stuffing the run, they have more in the box, which mean there should be an advantage somewhere in the secondary. BTW, I've seen several well balanced teams that's won state or had a deep playoff run not running the spread.

BTW, Ozen's deep playoff run was mostly due to a REALLY good QB by the name of David Green III...

What would happen if they ran an option-style offense like Nebraska back in the 90s?  You remember when they had guys like Tommy Frazier, Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green?  In 95, they averaged 7 yds/carry, 400 yds rushing/game and 52 pts/game.  Ozen has the athletes to pull that off.  Just have to get a good O-line coach.  You don't even have to have big lineman to run the option.  Lineman that can pull are more valued.  Just a thought.

I highly doubt he's successful with this offense, this offense basically cripples Ozen. Ozen is known for having athletes why limit the athletes with a running style like this. On top of that Ozen has never had an overly impressive O-Line in a long time, so what happens when the run isn't working? Boyd is not a pro style QB so why put him in a pro style system? IMO Ozen needs to run a true spread offense where it can use it's athletes.

A pro-style offense puts pressure on the LB's & Safeties and also make your corners have to cover but this should not be the only thing Ozen does. Boyd should run the option and roll-outs as well as the spread. Ozen will have to evaluate as they go and adjust according to their capabilities.

No one has ever run a true spread offense Nelson was close...however his spread offense allowed Ozen to advance the furthest it ever has. But my question to you is Soulja what happens when a team is stuffing the run? A good passing game in high school is harden to stop than the run. Also a read option attack can be deadly if run right.

lets remember this...suggs is a DEFENSIVE coach. if his defense is top notch, then his offense should be playing with a short field. also lets be real, sometimes "old school" may have the advantage here. how many schools in the triangle run the veer option if that's what he chooses?? to be honest all it is, is a zone read from under center. if you have the oline that can block and a smart QB, the veer can be deadly. once you get LB's and the secondary looking to see if the QB keeps it or gives it, you can have a wr streaking behind the defense. calvin roberts, ricky wilson, and gorrer made the passing game look easy running that offense.

lets remember this...suggs is a DEFENSIVE coach. if his defense is top notch, then his offense should be playing with a short field. also lets be real, sometimes "old school" may have the advantage here. how many schools in the triangle run the veer option if that's what he chooses?? to be honest all it is, is a zone read from under center. if you have the oline that can block and a smart QB, the veer can be deadly. once you get LB's and the secondary looking to see if the QB keeps it or gives it, you can have a wr streaking behind the defense. calvin roberts, ricky wilson, and gorrer made the passing game look easy running that offense.

Yes they did and having weapons creates havoc for defenses!

Ozen will be fine just remember its not HEBERT, we would have to combine West Brook and Ozen to get Hebert and a few of Central players (JRidge :))

You mean a few of Central & WB players who parents have lost their way and suppose to be Panthers. Ooops!

I'm having flashbacks reading post about Hebert. Those were the days. A different time and BigCam you nailed it,it's not as deep rooted for the kids of today. When Hebert and ForestPark then later SouthPark combined that was the end of that true Panther Pride. When Ozen opened the players were use to the winning ways of Westbrook and everybody wants to be part of a winner. The top athletes continued to go to Westbrook even though they were walking distance to Ozen. Some of the Pear Orchard die hard Hebert parents bought into 5A Wesbrook being the best place for there kid's success. That formula split the talent and it is what it is today. LoL if those players were back at Ozen BISD wouldnt have the task of keeping a Head football coach every year or two.

I'm having flashbacks reading post about Hebert. Those were the days. A different time and BigCam you nailed it,it's not as deep rooted for the kids of today. When Hebert and ForestPark then later SouthPark combined that was the end of that true Panther Pride. When Ozen opened the players were use to the winning ways of Westbrook and everybody wants to be part of a winner. The top athletes continued to go to Westbrook even though they were walking distance to Ozen. Some of the Pear Orchard die hard Hebert parents bought into 5A Wesbrook being the best place for there kid's success. That formula split the talent and it is what it is today. LoL if those players were back at Ozen BISD wouldnt have the task of keeping a Head football coach every year or two.

Yes Sir, Pride & Tradition has to be taught & established at Ozen because Hebert was taken and given to become WB and then they tried to give it back. Ozen will never be Hebert but the Hebert alumni and Ozen alumni will have to instill this as they have kids now just entering high school after a 14 year exsistence.

We'll see, but I think old school football is played out. Look what happened when Stump went to WB and ran the spread.  ^_^

when stump came in the spread was still new so to speak. now that everyone runs it, it's not that hard to defend. tempo of the various spreads is what makes it successful. same reason why oregon is good with it. A&M is getting that way too. it wasn' like that when it came out. you can defend spreads with big safteys instead of linbackers(assuming you have safteys like PAM 6'1 190-200). with brook running a faster tempo back fired due to lack of talent at qb and wr. can't just have one guy.

when stump came in the spread was still new so to speak. now that everyone runs it, it's not that hard to defend. tempo of the various spreads is what makes it successful. same reason why oregon is good with it. A&M is getting that way too. it wasn' like that when it came out. you can defend spreads with big safteys instead of linbackers(assuming you have safteys like PAM 6'1 190-200). with brook running a faster tempo back fired due to lack of talent at qb and wr. can't just have one guy.

The play calling got to predictable on offense and LB would line up over the guard and then pull out and run to the other side of the line on defense when the ball was snapped. Teams picked up on this and started running the ball right in the huge hole that was left. DC never changed that and the Bruins defense couldn't get off the field.

When Ozen opened it killed Westbrook sports for a while. I guess that you forgot Arthur was a winning coach. We knew there would be problems there when they ran him off. Westbrook got back on track when Arthur went back to Westbrook with Stump. The "panther" alumni followed the coaching. Ozen fans are very demanding. At one point you could go to their game and all you heard was those old Hebert used-to-be's bad mouthing the team. NEWSFLASH: THIS IS OZEN HIGH SCHOOL

Central fans are die hard! We will be there for them if nobody else will.

Westbrook fans are indifferent. They just there for the kids.

Ozen fans . . . come to the other games when their not winning.

Remember, French & BCP made Central with one move. Hebert & Forest Park made Wesbrook with one move. Ozen is practically establishing it's self trying to find an identity. The first groups to attend there are just now having kids that are age 14 to attend there that can finally say, my mom, my dad or my aunt & uncle went here. This makes a big difference in establishing Pride & Tradition, starting from scratch is a much more difficult task in my opinion.

JRIDGE  you saw the establishment of Brook. I saw the establishment of Central. Just like those school had to establish their thing, Ozen has to do the same. If it's not done by now, it won't be done. One problem is BISD allows school hopping. I looked forward to going to BCP. We wanted to change the game when we got there. We did. Now, kids (and parents) don't like not being the "star" or the school is not winning in whatever sport and they change schools. 

My classmates have kids that attend all schools. I had a child graduate from Central and Westbrook. Although I supported my child's endeavors at Brook, I have and always will support my alma mater.

JRIDGE you saw the establishment of Brook. I saw the establishment of Central. Just like those school had to establish their thing, Ozen has to do the same. If it's not done by now, it won't be done. One problem is BISD allows school hopping. I looked forward to going to BCP. We wanted to change the game when we got there. We did. Now, kids (and parents) don't like not being the "star" or the school is not winning in whatever sport and they change schools.

My classmates have kids that attend all schools. I had a child graduate from Central and Westbrook. Although I supported my child's endeavors at Brook, I have and always will support my alma mater.

Never stop fighting for what you want or believe in is what I was taught and so I pass on all of my experiences with our youth hoping something sticks. Ultimately, they will have to do it themselves, just like everyone else does!