2013 NCAA Regional Projections

As I have said in a previous thread, these big power house schools are down simply because of the way scholarships are divided up. A lot of top notch athletes that these colleges used to pull in are unable to go there now because the parents are not able to afford to pay the rest. Unless your kid is one of the ones who get one of those very rare full rides it is still a lot of expense. A lot of kids or going the JUCO route because it is cheaper and most or closer to home and if you are one of those talents that has a possibility of being drafted, you don't have to stay three years before you are able to be considered for the draft. I believe that is why some of these smaller schools are being able to compete with the used to be big power house schools because the kids are staying closer to home because of the way scholarships are now days.

IMO cost is not a factor unless you compare Private to Public universities
( http://www.collegefortexans.com/apps/collegecosts.cfm ). It does not cost that much more to play at Sam Houston than it does to play at say Texas A & M. Based on the site I linked, it is cheaper at A & M.

I think a lot of players are opting for the JUCO route because it gives them more options down the road as it relates to transferring or being drafted. The NCAA has addressed their transfer rules and changes will take place next year. (Student-athletes with a GPA of 3.0 or higher will be allowed to transfer without losing eligibility.)

The draft, more than anyting, has killed schools like UT. Last year alone I believe they lost at least 4 BIG TIME recruits to the draft. Those are spots they had filled until the end of the MLB signing period. By then, most top recuits have signed with other schools. It's hard to compare a 60 to 70 % scholarship to a possible million dollar signing bonus. We all know who wins that battle.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/recruiting/2012/2612510.html

[b]Texas recruiting coordinator Tommy Harmon couldn't sleep the night of Aug. 15. Just minutes before the midnight ET signing deadline, Harmon found out that the crown jewel of his sterling recruiting class—slugging outfielder Josh Bell—had signed for $5 million. The general sentiment in the industry was that Bell had been darn near unsignable.
But he couldn't walk away from $5 million, and Texas found itself having to make due with the nation's premier group of incoming pitchers, but no marquee bat.

"My dad always told me, 'Don't think about what could have been,' " Harmon said a month and a half later. "All of a sudden I find out about eight minutes until midnight that Bell's going to sign. I didn't think he was going to sign. My wife saw me up late and said, 'What's wrong with you? I've never seen you act like this before.' That was the weirdest day ever."[/b]

[quote name="Coach85" post="1405066" timestamp="1368703501"]
As I have said in a previous thread, these big power house schools are down simply because of the way scholarships are divided up. A lot of top notch athletes that these colleges used to pull in are unable to go there now because the parents are not able to afford to pay the rest. Unless your kid is one of the ones who get one of those very rare full rides it is still a lot of expense. A lot of kids or going the JUCO route because it is cheaper and most or closer to home and if you are one of those talents that has a possibility of being drafted, you don't have to stay three years before you are able to be considered for the draft. I believe that is why some of these smaller schools are being able to compete with the used to be big power house schools because the kids are staying closer to home because of the way scholarships are now days.
[/quote]

Every school has to deal with the same scholarship limits.  That hasn't seemed to affect perennial powers such as LSU, North Carolina, CS Fullerton, Oregon St etc. 

All of the usual suspects are in the Top 25 minus the Texas schools. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder