Thoughts

I have come to respect several of you on here with your knowledge of the game, weather I agree or disagree with your opinion you usually show a valid point in your argument. Dove, Stevenash, Lazeek to name a few and there are several others.
With that said I would like to have your thoughts on this topic as we may be approaching it.  If you have a player that will be a sophmore and they get the oppertunity to play Varsity basketball would you opt to move them up knowing their play minutes would be limited or would you opt to keep them at JV level where they would be a starter and play the majority of the time?

My opinion on this topic is.... It all depends on where that player stands. I agree with the comment above saying that if he is top 10 he should be on varsity. But another factor you have to keep in mind is the kid. You don't want the kid to play varsity and sit the bench and get bored or unmotivated. Trust me... that happens a lot.. Certainly different things to consider but what needs to happen is the kid, parents, and coach need to sit down and talk about it!!

[quote name="bradyb" post="1402622" timestamp="1368121423"]
My opinion on this topic is.... It all depends on where that player stands. I agree with the comment above saying that if he is top 10 he should be on varsity. But another factor you have to keep in mind is the kid. You don't want the kid to play varsity and sit the bench and get bored or unmotivated. Trust me... that happens a lot.. Certainly different things to consider but [b]what needs to happen is the kid, parents, and coach need to sit down and talk about it!! [/b]
[/quote]

WRONG!! It is completely up to the coach to put the kids on the varsity team that will most help the varsity team win games.  It does not have anything to do with what the kid, parents, or anybody else thinks in the matter.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1402657" timestamp="1368125707"]
[quote author=bradyb link=topic=111831.msg1402622#msg1402622 date=1368121423]
My opinion on this topic is.... It all depends on where that player stands. I agree with the comment above saying that if he is top 10 he should be on varsity. But another factor you have to keep in mind is the kid. You don't want the kid to play varsity and sit the bench and get bored or unmotivated. Trust me... that happens a lot.. Certainly different things to consider but [b]what needs to happen is the kid, parents, and coach need to sit down and talk about it!! [/b]
[/quote]

WRONG!! It is completely up to the coach to put the kids on the varsity team that will most help the varsity team win games.  It does not have anything to do with what the kid, parents, or anybody else thinks in the matter.
[/quote]

Wrong... Coaches like that are the coaches who ruin the fun and excitement of for certain kids.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1402773" timestamp="1368155511"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=111831.msg1402772#msg1402772 date=1368154830]
Then you have coaches who coach /play little johnnies and parents on the sideline.
[/quote]
that I agree with. in all sports.
[/quote] yep!!And at most levels.

Fortunately we are in a system with coaches that I have a huge amount of respect for, and yes I understand that varsity coaches are looking at subs that will hurt them the least when the starter needs a rest. If my son was going to be a Jr. I would probably look at it a little different, but being a sophmore I have to wonder if actual game time would be better for him to develop his skills for the next 2 years of varsity.

IMO, there are 2 ways to do it; the right way & the wrong way. If the Coach is only interested in winning games, then he keeps said player on Varsity getting scarce minutes. If he's developing a program he allows said player to play in scrimmages, 1 or 2 Tournaments with Varsity to learn the speed & physicality on the Varsity, then allow said player to go down to the (Frosh) team if that's their grade or (JV) level to dominate & build confidence (SWAG). Also, find said player a good Mentor on the upper level  & sit back & watch said player blossom before your very eyes. Now this isn't the only way, but it's the way I was brought up through the ranks in Bumblebee land. Although we didn't win every game, we did go to STATE 4 yrs in a row  & win 3 of the four all with 3 different Coaches. So with that being said, Coach has a decision to make. You've been given the recipe, can't tell you how to cook it, You're the Coach.

Mighty Bumblebees

My thought is that you bring up the underclassmen to give him experience on the varsity level. Part of that decision is based on what your group of juniors look like also.  If your team is going to be Junior loaded the following year, then it would be nice to have a year of varsity experience under your belt.  I think if you have a underclass that can bring the same or equal to what a senior that would be a sub you go with the underclassmen to build for the future. I think playing time has little effect on what gets them ready for the next year.  I think its more of the level of competition that gets you ready, not quantity but quality.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder