HB 1374: You for or against it?

[quote name="johnnyarm" post="1402629" timestamp="1368121987"]
If they want to play sports in the UIL they should go to school there.  ::)
[/quote]

If they live in that school district and still pay school taxes shouldn't that give them some right to play??

just a question I thought should be asked...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1402650" timestamp="1368124178"]
[quote author=johnnyarm link=topic=111822.msg1402629#msg1402629 date=1368121987]
[/quote]

If they live in that school district and still pay school taxes shouldn't that give them some right to play??

[/quote]

People do not pay school taxes for a uniform for their kids, they are paying school taxes for an education.  If you opt out of the education, you should also be opting out of what comes with the education.  [b]EXTRA[/b]curricular

[quote name="knows2much" post="1402654" timestamp="1368125482"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=111822.msg1402650#msg1402650 date=1368124178]
[quote author=johnnyarm link=topic=111822.msg1402629#msg1402629 date=1368121987]
[/quote]

[/quote]

People do not pay school taxes for a uniform for their kids, they are paying school taxes for an education.  If you opt out of the education, you should also be opting out of what comes with the education.  [b]EXTRA[/b]curricular
[/quote]

I agree...+1!!

[quote name="png1977" post="1402685" timestamp="1368131730"]
[quote author=knows2much link=topic=111822.msg1402654#msg1402654 date=1368125482]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=111822.msg1402650#msg1402650 date=1368124178]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree...+1!!
[/quote]

So if they opt out of the education and you say they can't play Extracurricular activities... shouldn't they also be opted out of paying school taxes?

and understand I am only playing devils advocate here...

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1402750" timestamp="1368150617"]
I know some kids that are home schooled and it was the parents that made that decision. why should the kid be deprived of extra-curricular activities as long as it is within the school district he/she resides in?
[/quote]

That is part of the determination parents have to make when they homeschool.  I don't think they should be able to opt out of the school community they claim they want to represent and then demand that they be included in supplemental activities they deem worthy of their participation.  They shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

[quote name="Law Dog" post="1402762" timestamp="1368153306"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=111822.msg1402750#msg1402750 date=1368150617]
I know some kids that are home schooled and it was the parents that made that decision. why should the kid be deprived of extra-curricular activities as long as it is within the school district he/she resides in?
[/quote]

That is part of the determination parents have to make when they homeschool.  I don't think they should be able to opt out of the school community they claim they want to represent and then demand that they be included in supplemental activities they deem worthy of their participation.  They shouldn't be able to have it both ways.
[/quote]
I understand your point, I just don't see making the kid pay for a decision that the he or she didn't have a choice in.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1402764" timestamp="1368153737"]
[quote author=Law Dog link=topic=111822.msg1402762#msg1402762 date=1368153306]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=111822.msg1402750#msg1402750 date=1368150617]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I understand your point, I just don't see making the kid pay for a decision that the he or she didn't have a choice in.
[/quote]

I can see what you are saying about the kids suffering, but their parents are making the choice for them not to have those opportunities, not the school district and community. 

It just kind of irritates me that these schools aren't good enough for their kids to attend, but they demand the "right" to have the name of the inadequate school on the front of their jerseys.  Something about that just doesn't sit right with me.

Not to mention the opportunities for recruiting, grade fraud and outright cheating that this opens the door to.  I can just see this is being a way to get around transfer, attendance and grade requirements for some kids and programs.  This is a bad, bad idea.

[quote name="Law Dog" post="1402769" timestamp="1368154176"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=111822.msg1402764#msg1402764 date=1368153737]
[quote author=Law Dog link=topic=111822.msg1402762#msg1402762 date=1368153306]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I can see what you are saying about the kids suffering, but their parents are making the choice for them not to have those opportunities, not the school district and community. 

[b]It just kind of irritates me that these schools aren't good enough for their kids to attend,[/b] but they demand the "right" to have the name of the inadequate school on the front of their jerseys.  Something about that just doesn't sit right with me.

Not to mention the opportunities for recruiting, grade fraud and outright cheating that this opens the door to.  I can just see this is being a way to get around transfer, attendance and grade requirements for some kids and programs.  This is a bad, bad idea.
[/quote]
maybe it has nothing to do with the school. maybe you have an overprotective parent that had bad experiences and do not want to subject their kid to the possibility of experiencing the same. be it more often than not it's probably not the case, but it is a possibility.

If the school district has a better chemistry lab than the one they have at home, should they be allowed to utilize that also?  What about districts which provide the students with a laptop?  Should home schoolers be allowed to pick up their laptop for use at home?  They pay taxes.  If you require athletes to be in an athletic period to participate, do you require the same for them?  Do you give them a grade?  This country is being run by a bunch of former pe kids!  God help us!

[quote name="oldsarge777" post="1402793" timestamp="1368180311"]
If the school district has a better chemistry lab than the one they have at home, should they be allowed to utilize that also?  What about districts which provide the students with a laptop?  Should home schoolers be allowed to pick up their laptop for use at home?  They pay taxes.  If you require athletes to be in an athletic period to participate, do you require the same for them?  Do you give them a grade?  This country is being run by a bunch of former pe kids!  God help us!
[/quote]

+1

Real simple, if you want to play organized sports for a school, go to that school.  If you want to play club ball or whatever it is called now days, be home schooled. 

This is like saying a coach can teach at one school but coach at another.  I'm going to teach at LCM but coach football at WOS.  Or, I'm going to teach at Bridge City but coach basketball at Silsbee. 

If you want your child to experience public school activities and events, then put your child in a public school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder