Bridge City vs Shepherd Pre game

[quote name="CATS80" post="1400427" timestamp="1367579846"]
[quote author=stigers12 link=topic=111532.msg1400382#msg1400382 date=1367550196]
It seems the consensus is with BC... anything can happen in a 1 game series. I wish they would make it where every round has to be best of 3. I feel like that is a much better representation of who the better team is. Good luck Cards, bring it home for 21-3a
[/quote]Everyone has played one game series for the whole year getting to this point . And now that they made it to this point by one game series.  Now you think the only way to see who has the best team is a three game series. I think it may show who has more depth but not who is better. I feel if the playoffs were to be only 3 game series. Then the rest of the regular season should be that way also .
[/quote]

Hear this argument every year during the playoffs, I am a "series" fan for sure. Teams that ride one horse in single game series through the playoffs are almost always "exposed" if they are fortunate enough to make the state tourney when they have to play back to back games. Better teams are deeper and much better equipped to handle those situations and not so reliant on an "all or nothing one guy carries us" scenario.

Just my opinion.
Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1400435" timestamp="1367583187"]
[quote author=CATS80 link=topic=111532.msg1400427#msg1400427 date=1367579846]
[quote author=stigers12 link=topic=111532.msg1400382#msg1400382 date=1367550196]
It seems the consensus is with BC... anything can happen in a 1 game series. I wish they would make it where every round has to be best of 3. I feel like that is a much better representation of who the better team is. Good luck Cards, bring it home for 21-3a
[/quote]Everyone has played one game series for the whole year getting to this point . And now that they made it to this point by one game series.  Now you think the only way to see who has the best team is a three game series. I think it may show who has more depth but not who is better. I feel if the playoffs were to be only 3 game series. Then the rest of the regular season should be that way also .
[/quote]

Hear this argument every year during the playoffs, I am a "series" fan for sure. Teams that ride one horse in single game series through the playoffs are almost always "exposed" if they are fortunate enough to make the state tourney when they have to play back to back games. Better teams are deeper and much better equipped to handle those situations and not so reliant on an "all or nothing one guy carries us" scenario.

Just my opinion.
Rake1
[/quote]

Spoken by a True Genius!!!!!!!  Go BC!!!!!!!!!

Remember in baseball the district race is not really a "one game race." Last time I checked the teams play each other twice. There have been plenty of cases where a lower grade team does upset one of the playoff teams yet in the end the playoff team does just that - reach the playoffs. Pardon me for using an example but it is hard to imagine anyone would pick HF this year to beat BC in a three game series but even if HF doesn't have an amazing ace pitcher, they could always just have a better night and win one game. A series gives opportunities for weaknesses and strengths to come forward out of the two teams. Another example is the NBA playoffs this year. The Miami Heat will not go undefeated through the playoffs (well they just might actually LOL) but it won't be a surprise if someone steals a game during a series. Yet it is going to be a challenge for anyone to beat the Heat four times in seven games. I like the series setup because I want to at least feel by the end of it the two teams both have the chance to show off the team and not the simple fact they have a guy who throws 97 and found a way to score two runs on a team that was actually better than them.
Now do I like having to cover a three game series for a newspaper? Usually three straight days and sometimes three different locations, that is a complete different question and answer.

What would each of your High School Coaches do if he knew that his team was a weaker hitting team but had a very good arm to throw out there and he won the coin flip?

He would do what any other coach would do, he would go for the one game playoff and give his team the best chance to get to the second round.

Also what is the winner of this game going to do at the coin flip next week against Sweeny? I can tell you if Shepherd wins they are going for a one game the entire time. It is their best chance.

Yes they play twice but not two to three games in three days . all of you in my opinion are correct with what your saying and i agree with it but .. But with the way district is played.  A one man show can get them to the playoffs.  Then they go to three game series and they cant produce. And the whole time there might have been a team that in district might have been able to beat this one man show out for the playoff spot. My argument here is not should 3 game series be used . but if its manditory to go three games in playoffs  then the district should also be played that way. I hope im explaining this correct how i feel on the subject.  So my thought is.  If you play single games through district to get to the play offs . playoffs should be that way . If playoffs are played three game series I feel district should be played that way . But in BC case I dont think there is an issue which ever way they play single or series. They win

There is no way to make the district a three game series between the teams. Far too many games during the week for the players who are also students.
I have never really had a problem with whatever way it is. If you get put into a one game series and the other team has a dominant pitcher but you have the better team, although it might sting, your job is to go out and beat the dominant pitcher. If you can't you go home.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1400563" timestamp="1367596825"]
I like having the option, 1 or 3 game.

If you make it mandatory 3 game series in baseball, then shouldn't it be that way at the state tourney as well? Also, if baseball has it, shouldn't basketball have it as well?
[/quote]

I like the option of 1 or 3 games, no argument. I do believe however the best team usually wins in a series type format, not 100% but certainly in most cases. As far as the state tourney goes you could almost say it was like a series because you have to win 2 games in 2 days. I know it's not against the same team but it's similar because you have to have more than just 1 guy. As far as that "inferior sport of basketball" is concerned let them do the same, they are just taking up time and space until baseball season. ;D

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1400619" timestamp="1367605980"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=111532.msg1400563#msg1400563 date=1367596825]

If you make it mandatory 3 game series in baseball, then shouldn't it be that way at the state tourney as well? Also, if baseball has it, shouldn't basketball have it as well?
[/quote]

I like the option of 1 or 3 games, no argument. I do believe however the best team usually wins in a series type format, not 100% but certainly in most cases. As far as the state tourney goes you could almost say it was like a series because you have to win 2 games in 2 days. I know it's not against the same team but it's similar because you have to have more than just 1 guy. As far as that [b]"inferior sport of basketball"[/b] is concerned let them do the same, they are just taking up time and space until baseball season. ;D

Rake1
[/quote]

Basketball is not considered an "inferior sport" on this website. Just look at the numbers in regards to traffic (posts, views, etc.) of the basketball forum compared to the baseball forum.  ;)

Baseball is in it's rightful spot at #3 behind football and basketball.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1400620" timestamp="1367606315"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=111532.msg1400619#msg1400619 date=1367605980]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=111532.msg1400563#msg1400563 date=1367596825]

[/quote]

I like the option of 1 or 3 games, no argument. I do believe however the best team usually wins in a series type format, not 100% but certainly in most cases. As far as the state tourney goes you could almost say it was like a series because you have to win 2 games in 2 days. I know it's not against the same team but it's similar because you have to have more than just 1 guy. As far as that [b]"inferior sport of basketball"[/b] is concerned let them do the same, they are just taking up time and space until baseball season. ;D

Rake1
[/quote]

Basketball is not considered an "inferior sport" on this website. Just look at the numbers in regards to traffic (posts, views, etc.) of the basketball forum compared to the baseball forum.  ;)

Baseball is in it's rightful spot at #3 behind football and basketball.
[/quote]

Then go park your car on the Basketball forum then!

[quote name="Rake1" post="1400619" timestamp="1367605980"]

[/quote]

I like the option of 1 or 3 games, no argument. I do believe however the best team usually wins in a series type format, not 100% but certainly in most cases. As far as the state tourney goes you could almost say it was like a series because you have to win 2 games in 2 days. I know it's not against the same team but it's similar because you have to have more than just 1 guy. As far as that "inferior sport of basketball" is concerned let them do the same, they are just taking up time and space until baseball season. ;D

Rake1
[/quote]

That's +1 for you sir.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86