Do you think AAU is the only way Basketball players get scholarships?

Guest BigCountry66
It seems like AAU is a great place for kids to stay engaged during the off-season, maybe improve and also to display talent.  Is it safe to say that a college coach/recruiter might put more stock on how the kid does in school ball simply from a 'team player, coachability, attitude, intelligence, etc' point of view.  Before you answer, I know it will depend on who is doing the recruiting and the program that he/she is recruiting for.  So, for the sake of my question, let's assume that we are talking about a program that places as much emphasis on academics as it does athletics.  Also a program that is interested in winning games but is just as interested in things like character, integrity, team(not a bunch of individuals), discipline, etc.

Being 'old-school', if I was recruiting a kid these days, I would put way more emphasis on what the 'school' coach could tell me rather than the AAU coach(s).  IMO, these kids play for so many different coaches during the summer that none of them can really speak to the things that really matter.  It doesn't matter how much talent the kid has, if there are character flaws, they will come out when he/she gets to college and then it starts.  You know, the transferring from school to school with the same song and dance every time.  "The coach didn't like him" or "He didn't get along with the coach" or "His coach was an idiot" or...  Well, you know the rest.  So as a recruiter, why would I spend time acquiring a talented kid who is just going to 'bring his talents' to a different school at the first sign of difficulty?  I wouldn't.  But that's just me.  This younger generation of parents has it all figured out and knows so much more than I do.  If I could have only been that wise.  :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BigCountry66" post="1391109" timestamp="1365013260"]
It seems like AAU is a great place for kids to stay engaged during the off-season, maybe improve and also to display talent.  Is it safe to say that a college coach/recruiter might put more stock on how the kid does in school ball simply from a 'team player, coachability, attitude, intelligence, etc' point of view.  Before you answer, I know it will depend on who is doing the recruiting and the program that he/she is recruiting for.  So, for the sake of my question, let's assume that we are talking about a program that places as much emphasis on academics as it does athletics.  Also a program that is interested in winning games but is just as interested in things like character, integrity, team(not a bunch of individuals), discipline, etc.

Being 'old-school', if I was recruiting a kid these days, I would put way more emphasis on what the 'school' coach could tell me rather than the AAU coach(s).  IMO, these kids play for so many different coaches during the summer that none of them can really speak to the things that really matter.  It doesn't matter how much talent the kid has, if there are character flaws, they will come out when he/she gets to college and then it starts.  You know, the transferring from school to school with the same song and dance every time.  "The coach didn't like him" or "He didn't get along with the coach" or "His coach was an idiot" or...  Well, you know the rest.  So as a recruiter, why would I spend time acquiring a talented kid who is just going to 'bring his talents' to a different school at the first sign of difficulty?  I wouldn't.  But that's just me.  This younger generation of parents has it all figured out and knows so much more than I do.  If I could have only been that wise.  :)
[/quote]You raise some excellent points and I'm "old school"  too but smart enough to respect, listen and observe new school.

(A)I've asked several college coaches do they put more stock into high school coaches or summer coaches.  Several said they contact the summer coaches and several said whichever one is easier to reach. (B) Let me put this in another way, coaches love it when a kid is from a two-parent home, especially when a dad is home. From what I'm understanding is that a kid is use to taking instructions from a male,etc. etc. Yes, they want to know if a kid is coachable, attitude, team player, etc. Coaches can lose their jobs over a nutcase. But l could add a little more to counteract my last statement but I'll stop.

(C) Big Country, if you were  a recruiter  and if you had the chance to get a Top 100 player to your school, guess what? More than likely you might go after him  ;) Think about it, there was a kid from this area who was [u]suppose[/u] to have an attitude problem. Still got into a major D1 school.  ;) Hmmm, kinda an extension from my answer from (B).....HMMMM!

(D) Actually, you would be surprised how many of the top teams keep their coaching staff in place. They DO NOT play for so many other coaches- you guys kill me with these old skool thoughts from 5 years ago  ;)

(E) Transferring from school to school. Interesting subject. Students are students. They transfer all the time for various reasons, whether they are athletes or not. Some kids transfer for class rankings, some for better athletic settings, some for other conveniences, some for the marching band, academics and some for the school environment. I happen to be in contact with the parents of a kid who plays at Michigan. He was a star basketball player at his high school and transferred to a prep school on the east coast. H e was already a star player. Lets just say he transferred for personal reasons and had nothing directly to do with athletics.  ;) So, just because an athlete transfers isn't always about sports.  ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1391163" timestamp="1365022111"]
[quote author=BigCountry66 link=topic=110499.msg1391109#msg1391109 date=1365013260]

[/quote]You raise some excellent points and I'm "old school"  too but smart enough to respect, listen and observe new school.

(A)I've asked several college coaches do they put more stock into high school coaches or summer coaches.  Several said they contact the summer coaches and several said whichever one is easier to reach. (B) Let me put this in another way, coaches love it when a kid is from a two-parent home, especially when a dad is home. From what I'm understanding is that a kid is use to taking instructions from a male,etc. etc. Yes, they want to know if a kid is coachable, attitude, team player, etc. Coaches can lose their jobs over a nutcase. But l could add a little more to counteract my last statement but I'll stop.

(C) Big Country, if you were  a recruiter  and if you had the chance to get a Top 100 player to your school, guess what? More than likely you might go after him  ;) Think about it, there was a kid from this area who was [u]suppose[/u] to have an attitude problem. Still got into a major D1 school.  ;) Hmmm, kinda an extension from my answer from (B).....HMMMM!

(D) Actually, you would be surprised how many of the top teams keep their coaching staff in place. They DO NOT play for so many other coaches- you guys kill me with these old skool thoughts from 5 years ago  ;)

(E) Transferring from school to school. Interesting subject. Students are students. They transfer all the time for various reasons, whether they are athletes or not. Some kids transfer for class rankings, some for better athletic settings, some for other conveniences, some for the marching band, academics and some for the school environment. I happen to be in contact with the parents of a kid who plays at Michigan. He was a star basketball player at his high school and transferred to a prep school on the east coast. H e was already a star player. Lets just say he transferred for personal reasons and had nothing directly to do with athletics.  ;) So, just because an athlete transfers isn't always about sports.  ;)
[/quote]

Dove- does you last sentence apply to Yates and Triple A?

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1391177" timestamp="1365023128"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110499.msg1391163#msg1391163 date=1365022111]
[quote author=BigCountry66 link=topic=110499.msg1391109#msg1391109 date=1365013260]

[/quote]

Dove- does you last sentence apply to Yates and Triple A?
[/quote] Yep!  :D

Guest BigCountry66
... but smart enough to respect, listen and observe new school.  [color=blue]I certainly agree with listening and observing 'new school' but the jury is still out on respecting.  That has to be earned and the track record I've witnessed in the last decade or so is not encouraging. [/color]

(A)I've asked several college coaches do they put more stock into high school coaches or summer coaches.  Several said they contact the summer coaches and several said whichever one is easier to reach. [color=blue]Really?  I just wiped a tear from my eye.  That is truly sad [/color] (B) Let me put this in another way, coaches love it when a kid is from a two-parent home, especially when a dad is home. From what I'm understanding is that a kid is use to taking instructions from a male,etc. etc. Yes, they want to know if a kid is coachable, attitude, team player, etc. Coaches can lose their jobs over a nutcase. But l could add a little more to counteract my last statement but I'll stop.

(C) Big Country, if you were  a recruiter  and if you had the chance to get a Top 100 player to your school, guess what? More than likely you might go after him [color=blue]Yes, I would definitely 'go after him' because of the talent.  But, if I determined that the risk was greater than the reward, I would not offer.  By risk I mean, the potential disruption to the 'team'.  Just like in business, its all about managing risk [/color]  Think about it, there was a kid from this area who was suppose to have an attitude problem. Still got into a major D1 school.  Hmmm, kinda an extension from my answer from (B).....HMMMM![color=blue]I'm not aware of the kid you are referring to but that stuff happens all the time in every sport at every level.  Occasionally it works out for the team that took the chance but most of the time it doesn't [/color]

(D) Actually, you would be surprised how many of the top teams keep their coaching staff in place. They DO NOT play for so many other coaches- you guys kill me with these old skool thoughts from 5 years ago  [color=blue]I was actually referring to the kids/parents changing teams so often, not the coaches. I had to chuckle at the comment about 'old school from 5 years ago'.  It reminded me of when a 10 year old is telling a story and says 'when I was a kid'  :)[/color]

(E) Transferring from school to school. Interesting subject. Students are students. They transfer all the time for various reasons, whether they are athletes or not. Some kids transfer for class rankings, some for better athletic settings, some for other conveniences, some for the marching band, academics and some for the school environment. I happen to be in contact with the parents of a kid who plays at Michigan. He was a star basketball player at his high school and transferred to a prep school on the east coast. H e was already a star player. Lets just say he transferred for personal reasons and had nothing directly to do with athletics.  So, just because an athlete transfers isn't always about sports.[/size] [color=blue]I agree.  And for the record, I don't have a problem whatsoever with kids transferring as long as it is not being done to avoid a problem.  If your school doesn't place an emphasis on basketball and you transfer to a school that is a basketball school, I think that is smart.  And transferring is nothing new.  People used fake addresses 40-50 years ago to go from one high school to another(ie. Bmt High instead of South Park or Silsbee High instead of Waldo Mathews.)  Every case is different and I'm not here to judge.  I attended 4 different school districts growing up and always lived in the same house. These games were being played long before many on here were a twinkle in mommy and daddy's eyes.  :) [/color]

you guys kill me with these old skool thoughts from 5 years ago  [color=blue]I was actually referring to the kids/parents changing teams so often, not the coaches. I had to chuckle at the comment about 'old school from 5 years ago'.  It reminded me of when a 10 year old is telling a story and says 'when I was a kid'  :)[/color]
[color=maroon][size=14pt]Edit! Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic with the '5-year" comment  ;)[/size][/color]
==========

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33