HJ AD/Head Coach???

LAZEEK,
Many of job descriptions and problems that a AD runs into is during Basketball season.  Football is a fall sport that is early.
IMO an AD needs to be a football guy... If you have not found out already football rules in TEXAS.. Most ADs, espically at small schools (one school 4A districts, 3A, 2A, 1A), are all football Coaches.  I dont think it is a good idea to hire a basketball AD.  Right now the HJ community is not complaining about basketball.  It is the rest of the sports that are struggling.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a right to your opinion.  I don't necessarily agree but, the one thing we can rest assured is that HJISD will do what it thinks is best for the school district regardless of what is said here.  The "football rules in Texas" is a weak argument.  Whatever you do, don't use that in your interview if you get one.

Morning, I am sitting here in practice star testing reading these posts and find them quite amusing. I come on SETX once every week or two because between coaching track, offseason football, and teaching 140 Biology students I don't have much time. This is my 29th year of coaching in Harris County. All schools I have coached at have made the state playoffs and I have been a part of some bad years. I have, like everyone on this site, has an opinion. I haven't been a head football coach yet, runnerup several times and I have about given up on trying anymore because of the politics involved. At almost every head football opening, there is someone already decided upon by the powers at be. Sometimes this is a school board, sometimes a committe, sometimes a superintendent, and sometimes an influential community member. If the actual OZ behind the scenes has the best interest of the ENTIRE school and community, then the best choice will be made. That is not often the case. I have worked with Bill Kruger, state champion basketball coach, and he is fantastic, but he wouldn't make a fair athletic director. I have worked with Jerry Stewart, and football is his main interest, but i believe he would do what is right for the entire program. Coach Carson, football coach at Eisenhower, now at College Park would also be fair to all sports. Kent Bachtel, now retired, from Waco Midway was very successful at football, but also as athletic director at Midway which competes yearly as the most decorated 4A district in the state. I have worked with basketball coaches such as Mike Carribine (Dulles, now I think) who would be fair athletic directors.  I have worked with Coach Egans at Crosby and believe he has the best interest of athletes at heart and would make a good AD.
So yes I think it is possible to have a fair AD who is not a football coach.
At the same time I do believe certain coaches in the school and outside the school (AAU) preach to their kids the theory of specialization. THIS IS SO WRONG AT ANY LEVEL--When you study the workout lives of international greats as Sergio Bubka, you will realize that they often only worked on their sport between 4-6 months out of the year. They played complimentary sports to not go through fatigue and injuries of not only muscles, but the mind as well. Yet we have 9 year olds in year round baseball, basketball, soccer, or high school football players that just play fall football and then get on the AAU 7 on 7 circuit??? What are we doing-- to me the best high school program would have NO ATHLETIC PERIODS.  All athletes (including golf and tennis) would have to take athletic PE taught by a coach who is nationally certified in strength. All sports practices would be after school.

Sorry just bored during testing and thought I would chime in.
Coach Bear :D

[quote]Lazeek, every time you post something, it proves my theory... You guys are actually good with the thought that our basketball coach should be the AD... I believe that would hurt our football program because now your not going to get a quality coach... AD's are traditionally football coaches and they want that title... Just tired of the blatant lie that some sports are treated better than others because it just simply isn't true.
Then why would we ever consider giving our AD title to our basketball coach when we live in a state where FOOTBALL is king? Because basketball is the only sport that matters at HJ...[/quote]

Go look at HJ's football past.  Some of their most successful years were when Breithaupt was the AD/Basketball coach and when Bruce Vaughan was the AD/girls basketball coach.  I know for the two years that Breithaupt was the AD the football team went 7-3 and 8-2.  I am not pushing for the basketball coach or for anyone else for that matter.  I am saying that you don't have to have a football/AD in order for football to be successful.

Not meaning to start rumors, but........... I heard from a reliable source that what the Administration is looking for in a HC/AD  is a young and enthusiastic football coach with the ability to hit the ground running....and it looks like the hiring will happen before the April 22 deadline.  There are 35 applicants right now, but many do not meet the qualifications that the District has stipulated, one of which is a post-graduate degree.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1382767" timestamp="1362498687"]
[quote]Lazeek, every time you post something, it proves my theory... You guys are actually good with the thought that our basketball coach should be the AD... I believe that would hurt our football program because now your not going to get a quality coach... AD's are traditionally football coaches and they want that title... Just tired of the blatant lie that some sports are treated better than others because it just simply isn't true.
Then why would we ever consider giving our AD title to our basketball coach when we live in a state where FOOTBALL is king? Because basketball is the only sport that matters at HJ...[/quote]

Go look at HJ's football past.  Some of their most successful years were when Breithaupt was the AD/Basketball coach and when Bruce Vaughan was the AD/girls basketball coach.  I know for the two years that Breithaupt was the AD the football team went 7-3 and 8-2.  I am not pushing for the basketball coach or for anyone else for that matter.  I am saying that you don't have to have a football/AD in order for football to be successful.
[/quote]I was a part of these seasons along with the 7-2-1 in 93.  Breithaupt was NOT the AD during these times. In fact I don't know if Breithaupt was even a AD there.  I know he was a assistant principal after the tragic shooting by our assistant principal.  He may have taken Vaughn's place in the late 90's in which the football program slipped again after going to 4A for a couple of years.  You are right about Vaughn being AD during the early 90's. But the real question is why they were not able to obtain these coaches like Coach Web and Coach Huckabay.  They wanted the AD title.  They believed that the best interests were not being represented.  That is why they did not stay long.
As long as the AD is in the Basketball hands, HJ will be a jumping ground for ANY coach that comes in.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1382767" timestamp="1362498687"]

[/quote]
I agree.  It's the quality of the man in the AD position - not the sport that he coaches.  Sutherland is pure quality; don't even try to tell me he would not be an excellent AD.

Breithtaupt was brought in as AD/hd basketball at the 89-90 school year and remained in that capacity through the 90-91 school year, those two years HJ was 8-2 and 7-3 in football.  In the 91-92 school year Breithaupt became the principal/hd basketball and Bruce Vaughan became the athletic director and was already girls basketball coach.  Breithaupt left for the UIL after the 91-92 school year.  Vaughan remained on staff as the AD/girls bball coach until the 97-98 school year and that is when Pat Fischer was brought in.  That was also the same year HJ went to 4A for two years with the smallets enrollment in the state for 4A at that time.  It was Fischer who lead them through 4A before dropping back down and then having the best run of football seasons that HJ has had including a state quarterfinal berth.  HJ's enrollment was at an all time high during Fischer's first 5 years or so and then enrollment began to decline and has ever since until the last few years when HJ went to open enrollment.  That has helped bump enrollment back up.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="hitman009" post="1382834" timestamp="1362509031"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=109970.msg1382767#msg1382767 date=1362498687]

[/quote]I was a part of these seasons along with the 7-2-1 in 93.  Breithaupt was NOT the AD during these times. In fact I don't know if Breithaupt was even a AD there.  I know he was a assistant principal after the tragic shooting by our assistant principal.  He may have taken Vaughn's place in the late 90's in which the football program slipped again after going to 4A for a couple of years.  You are right about Vaughn being AD during the early 90's. But the real question is why they were not able to obtain these coaches like Coach Web and Coach Huckabay.  They wanted the AD title.  They believed that the best interests were not being represented.  That is why they did not stay long.
As long as the AD is in the Basketball hands, HJ will be a jumping ground for ANY coach that comes in.
[/quote]I agree HJ will have a hard time keeping a head football coach, unless he has the AD title as well.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1382839" timestamp="1362509633"]
Breithtaupt was brought in as AD/hd basketball at the 89-90 school year and remained in that capacity through the 90-91 school year, those two years HJ was 8-2 and 7-3 in football.  In the 91-92 school year Breithaupt became the principal/hd basketball and Bruce Vaughan became the athletic director and was already girls basketball coach.  Breithaupt left for the UIL after the 91-92 school year.  Vaughan remained on staff as the AD/girls bball coach until the 97-98 school year and that is when Pat Fischer was brought in.  That was also the same year HJ went to 4A for two years with the smallets enrollment in the state for 4A at that time.  It was Fischer who lead them through 4A before dropping back down and then having the best run of football seasons that HJ has had including a state quarterfinal berth.  HJ's enrollment was at an all time high during Fischer's first 5 years or so and then enrollment began to decline and has ever since until the last few years when HJ went to open enrollment.  That has helped bump enrollment back up.
[/quote]I attened HJ from 89-93. I was always under the influence that Vaughn was the AD.  He was always in the boys off season programs watching.  Breithaupt always stayed with basketball. He never showed his face in the off season. Brithaupt was assistant principal. Did not coach basketball in 93. Brithaupt did not go to UIL until March of 95.
Regardless... HJ was not able to hold on to these good football coaches... Web, Huckaby and Fisher. It is not good for a football program to have 3 different head coaches in 7 years.

I know Sutherland... he is a great coach.. In fact I heard him speak when I was in college.. He started as a football coach.. I know he would do a great job...
I am just saying that HJ will not have any stability in the football program unless they get a AD/football coach.

Your facts are flat out wrong about Breithaupt and what he did.  My brother in law played for him the entire time he was there.  I was in school during that time as well.  The above posted is EXACTLY correct.  Breithaupt was NEVER the assistant principal BUT was the principal during the 91-92 school year.  He left after that year to the UIL.  During the 91-92 school year Vaughan was the AD and Breithaupt was the hd basketball/principal.  Breithaupt NEVER worked at HJ in ANY capacity where he was not the basketball coach except in the late 70's when he was Jimmy Burke's assistant coach.

As for losing good football coaches, Huckabay left on his own accord BUT, in his last two years HJ was fielding teams with 17 players on the varsity.  Fischer was at HJ from 1996-1997 school year through the 2004-2005 school year.  That is almost ten years as the coach.  I'm not sure where you got three coaches in 7 years.  HJ hasa had TWO football coaches in the last 17 years.

You have a right to your opinion BUT, your facts about when other coaches were here and when they left are dead wrong.  I can assure you of that.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1383144" timestamp="1362590392"]
Your facts are flat out wrong about Breithaupt and what he did.  My brother in law played for him the entire time he was there.  I was in school during that time as well.  The above posted is EXACTLY correct.  Breithaupt was NEVER the assistant principal BUT was the principal during the 91-92 school year.  He left after that year to the UIL.  During the 91-92 school year Vaughan was the AD and Breithaupt was the hd basketball/principal.  Breithaupt NEVER worked at HJ in ANY capacity where he was not the basketball coach except in the late 70's when he was Jimmy Burke's assistant coach.

As for losing good football coaches, Huckabay left on his own accord BUT, in his last two years HJ was fielding teams with 17 players on the varsity.  Fischer was at HJ from 1996-1997 school year through the 2004-2005 school year.  That is almost ten years as the coach.  I'm not sure where you got three coaches in 7 years.  HJ hasa had TWO football coaches in the last 17 years.

You have a right to your opinion BUT, your facts about when other coaches were here and when they left are dead wrong.  I can assure you of that.
[/quote]My facts are not messed up. We were talking about the 90's coaches. Remember I went to school there.  I Played for Breithaupt and Sutherland. Also played for WEB, your other Head Football/Baseball Coach that you did not count (89-92), Huckabay(92-96), and Fisher(my brothers played for him).  Breithaupt took over the Assistant principal job/responsiblities in 91 like I said when our Assistant Principal (Mr. Dixon) Shot our Superintendant (MR. HILL). I know he was the Assistant Principal because I got in trouble that year and was suspended BY HIM!! Sat in his office and got dog cussed for doing something stupid!!  If you look at his years of Service at UIL it will tell you the same thing.

Hitman is correct.....without an AD title at this level, a coach that proves himself will move on as soon as he is offered that title elsewhere, unless of course it's someone who as a genuine interest in the HJ football program long term, which means they probably went to school here.....as stated on a few other threads, that may not be the way to go at this point.....Lazeek, dude, you are a hard core Fact machine....and that's a fact, Jack!

[quote]Isnt that something Hitman, you were there and Lazeek is saying his brother in law is his intel. Cmon dude, if you werent there then you dont have an argument... Your brother in law may, but you dont...[/quote]

You should read more closely.  I am a '91 graduate so I was there.  My brother in law was a '92 graduate.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1383296" timestamp="1362663945"]
Uh oh... People agreeing with me....
[/quote]Scary, isn't it? ;D ;D

IS THERE A LIST OF APPLICANTS????  Who gives a rat's azz about the history, who coached, who was the principal, who played when??? The program has had little success over the years, FACT.  So, going forward, hire the right guy, work on turning the program around and get some wins.

[quote name="86hawk" post="1383339" timestamp="1362672772"]
IS THERE A LIST OF APPLICANTS????  Who gives a rat's azz about the history, who coached, who was the principal, who played when??? The program has had little success over the years, FACT.  So, going forward, hire the right guy, work on turning the program around and get some wins.
[/quote] 8)

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="86hawk" post="1383339" timestamp="1362672772"]
[/quote]I am sure there is a list, but someone would have to file a FOI (freedom of information) before the school district would release any names.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317