Recommended Posts

The UIL will vote on a proposed change on Tuesday that would add a shot clock to Class 5A and 6A basketball.

 

@GuyerBasketball head coach Grant Long said adopting a shot clock “[is] in the best interest of the players, coaches and game.” #txhshoops https://t.co/cGKaycOSmW

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1
14 minutes ago, catfever said:

In other words, he can't beat Argyle without it.

I wonder how this will work when lower classifications play 5A and 6A in nondistrict.

I'm against it.

That's a good question. I assume it will only be in play for games involving 6A and 5A teams. Any other games would not have a shot clock.

Be tough to have tournaments with a mixture of 6A-1A.

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 seconds is an eternity. Won’t affect majority of the game.  But will stop the Stall Ball tactic that some teams deploy.  
 

makes them play basketball, which should be the point.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, Bird33 said:

45 seconds is an eternity. Won’t affect majority of the game.  But will stop the Stall Ball tactic that some teams deploy.  
 

makes them play basketball, which should be the point.  

This is my view.  Stall ball is terrible to watch, but I guess it’ll continue for now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

This is my view.  Stall ball is terrible to watch, but I guess it’ll continue for now.  

True it’s not fun to watch but the defenses can disrupt that somewhat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a strategy often deployed by teams that don’t have equal athletes. Been part of the game forever. I personally am not a fan of stalling the basketball but it’s up to the defensive team to adjust. High school basketball doesn’t need a shot clock 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, whsalum said:

It’s a strategy often deployed by teams that don’t have equal athletes. Been part of the game forever. I personally am not a fan of stalling the basketball but it’s up to the defensive team to adjust. High school basketball doesn’t need a shot clock 

I have seen plenty of athletic teams use this to their advantage over the years.  Andre Boutte was the master of it.  He would stall in the 3rd quarter if he had a 5 point lead.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, catfever said:

I have seen plenty of athletic teams use this to their advantage over the years.  Andre Boutte was the master of it.  He would stall in the 3rd quarter if he had a 5 point lead.  

That’s why I said often and not always. It’s a strategy and good coaches will use it to beat you if they get ahead. You give a good free throw shooting team a 5 point lead and the ball they’ll beat you with a good coach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whsalum said:

That’s why I said often and not always. It’s a strategy and good coaches will use it to beat you if they get ahead. You give a good free throw shooting team a 5 point lead and the ball they’ll beat you with a good coach.

Hand comes to mind. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 5-3 Huntington/Woodville game was the strangest game I’ve ever seen.  A big mixed bag of reactions during and after the game. A shot clock would have changed that one for sure. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, no-look said:

The 5-3 Huntington/Woodville game was the strangest game I’ve ever seen.  A big mixed bag of reactions during and after the game. A shot clock would have changed that one for sure. Lol

I imagine the Woodville coach still has nightmares about that one. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, whsalum said:

I imagine the Woodville coach still has nightmares about that one. 😂

Ron Jackson was a good coach. Had some tough breaks along the way. He had a Grapeland team in Austin one year. Playing Wellington and was up three with less than ten seconds left. Grapeland player steals the ball and does a 360 dunk attempt . Ball hits back of the rim and a Wellington player scoops it up and slings a half court shot and banks it in at the buzzer. Grapeland lost in OT 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, no-look said:

Ron Jackson was a good coach. Had some tough breaks along the way. He had a Grapeland team in Austin one year. Playing Wellington and was up three with less than ten seconds left. Grapeland player steals the ball and does a 360 dunk attempt . Ball hits back of the rim and a Wellington player scoops it up and slings a half court shot and banks it in at the buzzer. Grapeland lost in OT 

I remember that game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, no-look said:

Ron Jackson was a good coach. Had some tough breaks along the way. He had a Grapeland team in Austin one year. Playing Wellington and was up three with less than ten seconds left. Grapeland player steals the ball and does a 360 dunk attempt . Ball hits back of the rim and a Wellington player scoops it up and slings a half court shot and banks it in at the buzzer. Grapeland lost in OT 

That’s brutal 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, no-look said:

Ron Jackson was a good coach. Had some tough breaks along the way. He had a Grapeland team in Austin one year. Playing Wellington and was up three with less than ten seconds left. Grapeland player steals the ball and does a 360 dunk attempt . Ball hits back of the rim and a Wellington player scoops it up and slings a half court shot and banks it in at the buzzer. Grapeland lost in OT 

Did that player play in the OT period??? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the late 50s there was a game that was played in the Sam Houston Coliseum that was 2-0 and if memory serves me right it was Lamar and San Jacinto Hi schools. Just can't remember who won but I believe it was Lamar with 2 FTs at end.  I am sure I will get corrected if wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Did that player play in the OT period??? 

Yep. But was an emotional wreck. Felt sorry for him. Took it hard. He was a stud. Lay the ball in and you win by five. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, no-look said:

Yep. But was an emotional wreck. Felt sorry for him. Took it hard. He was a stud. Lay the ball in and you win by five. 

Or take it to the corner and run out the clock. There have been some storied finishes at the state tournament 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Member Statistics

    42,749
    Total Members
    1,837
    Most Online
    Reelife
    Newest Member
    Reelife
    Joined
×
  • Create New...