So y'all think this Mustangs te is for real this year what your thoughts

Stangfan#1

55 minutes ago, griff said:

It was not a struggle to beat Liberty. The WO-S turnovers kept the score closer than it should be, but this game was never in doubt. Liberty's game plan is to literally run out the clock for four quarters with that rugby-like offense of theirs. We started slow (2 punts in the 1st quarter), but winning against Liberty always looks ugly because of their style. WO-S has a bye week to sharpen their game, heal up some bruises, one final district contest, then the playoffs. Anyway, I know the coaching staff is not thinking about Carthage. Too much football to be played before that "if and when" match up occurs. 

Exactly,in 2016 everybody got beat by 50 ...except Liberty.The score was something similar to this one and the turnovers weren’t even present.

12 hours ago, Majestyk said:

None. Nobody is better than Carthage in any area.

Ur wrong. W.o LBs are better!! A nd both secondary are abt even. The difference is Carthage puts so much pressure on u to get rid of the ball. And also w.o can do things to Carthage no other team can.they want be able to run wide.carthage would try to pose there will running inside.but w.o rovers off the edge will give Carthage problems bcz of there quickness. 

1 minute ago, Bansheefan said:

Carthage really does not run wide that often most runs are between the tackle and im not sure bout the better lbs just ask anyone who has played carthage about #5 and unlike wos carthage has been playing top teams in the state that cream puff schedule can make u look better then u really are

If I'm not mistaken, WOS tried to play Carthage when they both had the same open week

3 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

Carthage really does not run wide that often most runs are between the tackle and im not sure bout the better lbs just ask anyone who has played carthage about #5 and unlike wos carthage has been playing top teams in the state that cream puff schedule can make u look better then u really are

And we also had La Vega and Jasper on the schedule 

11 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

Ok Hoss, cool.  Tell you what, yall come on down and do the two-step with a couple of these hurricanes and we'll come on up and try some of your schedule. Chillin in that cream puff weather can may make you look better than u really are. Just saying, it's not these kids fault they didn't get to knock heads with a couple better teams.

15 minutes ago, Majestyk said:

Ok Hoss, cool.  Tell you what, yall come on down and do the two-step with a couple of these hurricanes and we'll come on up and try some of your schedule. Chillin in that cream puff weather can may make you look better than u really are. Just saying, it's not these kids fault they didn't get to knock heads with a couple better teams.

You're right it's not the kids fault but at the end of the day WO-S probably looks better than they really are due to the competition as the other poster stated. Carthage has played better teams and it should be no argument that you should take them more as face value than WO-S. Maybe WO-S is that good,  but when you take emotion out of things, Carthage seems to be the more proven team. 

44 minutes ago, BobcatDad said:

If I'm not mistaken, WOS tried to play Carthage when they both had the same open week

What happened? Was it before the season? Short notice? If it were me, no way in heck would I play the only team who can knock me out of the playoffs. I think that's where Argyle went wrong with Lavega the past couple of years. Potential  opponent yes, but not a guaranteed regional finals opponent.

9 hours ago, ctown81 said:

You're right it's not the kids fault but at the end of the day WO-S probably looks better than they really are due to the competition as the other poster stated. Carthage has played better teams and it should be no argument that you should take them more as face value than WO-S. Maybe WO-S is that good,  but when you take emotion out of things, Carthage seems to be the more proven team. 

I agree. Carthage has walked the walk. Their schedule and the way they've handled it borders on the ridiculous. If I was just home from an extended stay in Bulgaria and read about this my first thought would be misprint.  Look for the 'Dogs to win the title, just hope the 'Stangs can make it to region finals.  Right now don't see WO-S winning this game but they will knock a lung loose.  Gotta worry about Jasper and those folks first.

18 hours ago, dj said:

Ur wrong. W.o LBs are better!! A nd both secondary are abt even. The difference is Carthage puts so much pressure on u to get rid of the ball. And also w.o can do things to Carthage no other team can.they want be able to run wide.carthage would try to pose there will running inside.but w.o rovers off the edge will give Carthage problems bcz of there quickness. 

Ur wrong. Carthage has #5 Kip Lewis.

4 hours ago, Majestyk said:

Alright already guys. This is starting to get the feel of that other board. I got more pride than that. Don't let the red clay cloud your judgment, let it go, Carthage is unbeatable. 

It’s one thread that wasn’t started by anyone from our area. Don’t get you panties in a wad, it’s a message board. 

37 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

From what I have seen of WO-S, they have a real shot at beating Carthage.

It's all about the match ups. Mustangs will match up well.

I think that’s what Carthage fans are hoping for. It’s not very fun to watch when your team is blowing everybody out. There is a lot of talk about Carthage’s arrogance, but when it comes down to it we love to see a damn game! Have played a ton of them over the years. Carthage has been involved in so many instant classics deep in the playoffs over the years. I would love nothing more than WO-S (or Jasper) to come and hit Carthage in the mouth. It’s been a while since Carthage has had a close game. But there is always that one playoff game that is gonna test a team’s will big time. It was Lampasas last year. Is WO-S the one to do it this year? Honestly I don’t think so, but I hope I am wrong. If Carthage continues on the path they are on, we are talking all time great Carthage team. Maybe the best ever. But have to finish this thing out. 

To this point in the season (7 games) Carthage has out scored opponents 302-67 (33 ppg average margin of victory). Last year Carthage thru 7 games had out scored opponents 255-63 (27 ppg average margin of victory). For context in 2017, which a lot of Carthage fans say was their best team ever, they out scored opponents 321-142 thru 7 games (26 ppg average margin of victory). So statistically this years team is the most dominant team Carthage has had thru 7 games in their history, but that doesn’t take into account SOS. We will have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

48 minutes ago, Dawgs12345 said:

I think that’s what Carthage fans are hoping for. It’s not very fun to watch when your team is blowing everybody out. There is a lot of talk about Carthage’s arrogance, but when it comes down to it we love to see a damn game! Have played a ton of them over the years. Carthage has been involved in so many instant classics deep in the playoffs over the years. I would love nothing more than WO-S (or Jasper) to come and hit Carthage in the mouth. It’s been a while since Carthage has had a close game. But there is always that one playoff game that is gonna test a team’s will big time. It was Lampasas last year. Is WO-S the one to do it this year? Honestly I don’t think so, but I hope I am wrong. If Carthage continues on the path they are on, we are talking all time great Carthage team. Maybe the best ever. But have to finish this thing out. 

To this point in the season (7 games) Carthage has out scored opponents 302-67 (33 ppg average margin of victory). Last year Carthage thru 7 games had out scored opponents 255-63 (27 ppg average margin of victory). For context in 2017, which a lot of Carthage fans say was their best team ever, they out scored opponents 321-142 thru 7 games (26 ppg average margin of victory). So statistically this years team is the most dominant team Carthage has had thru 7 games in their history, but that doesn’t take into account SOS. We will have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Stats can be misleading, it seems to me this years their are more than usual teams that are really down this year. Just because your numbers are better doesn’t mean it’s your best team ever.  Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, WO-S 89 said:

Stats can be misleading, it seems to me this years their are more than usual teams that are really down this year. Just because your numbers are better doesn’t mean it’s your best team ever.  Just my opinion. 

Maybe, but considering Carthage has played 5 teams that were in the top 10 in their division at the time we played them would say otherwise. Now is it that the top teams are down overall due to all the craziness in 2020? Maybe. But we can only go on what we have. Carthage has played Kilgore, Gilmer, PG, Center, and Jasper as their notable victories. I would have to assume those 5 wins are as good as any 5 we had in 2017 or 2019 regular season. At face value the schedule is just as tough as it has been, and the statistics are staggering. I’m just taking things at face value at this point. We will find out. 

1 hour ago, Dawgs12345 said:

Maybe, but considering Carthage has played 5 teams that were in the top 10 in their division at the time we played them would say otherwise. Now is it that the top teams are down overall due to all the craziness in 2020? Maybe. But we can only go on what we have. Carthage has played Kilgore, Gilmer, PG, Center, and Jasper as their notable victories. I would have to assume those 5 wins are as good as any 5 we had in 2017 or 2019 regular season. At face value the schedule is just as tough as it has been, and the statistics are staggering. I’m just taking things at face value at this point. We will find out. 

I agree with you, only time will tell.  We may get a better feel after WOS vs Jasper in rd 2. I just hope if we do meet up again the conditions are a lot better than I think 2013.  

3 hours ago, WO-S 89 said:

I agree with you, only time will tell.  We may get a better feel after WOS vs Jasper in rd 2. I just hope if we do meet up again the conditions are a lot better than I think 2013.  

Yes. That was a tough game. Depending on which end of the field the offenses were on, they basically could not punt. That’s how bad the wind was. Probably the worst weather we have played in. 

Jasper vs WO-S in the 2nd round is a tough draw for both. It doesn’t feel like that should be a 2nd round playoff game. Just the way the bracket shakes out sometimes. Jasper would be better off as the 3rd place team in D10. That is what happened to Carthage in 2016. Got 3rd place in district, but the way it shook out that was really the best position Carthage could’ve been in that year. Got us an easier path to the 3rd round before we had to meet up with the favorite Henderson, a team that had beat us earlier in the year.