PNG@The Hill

Indianforever

31 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

The reason a student can lead a prayer but faculty cannot, while faculty can teach evolution, is that prayer led by faculty (or, for example, by a representative from local religion) violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution, and a member of faculty teaching evolution does not. Evolution is not a religion, so teaching or promoting it does not result in the Government, through public schools, "establishing," or promoting one religion over another. I think it is a good thing. One of the essential protections afforded us by the Constitution is the separation of Church and State. Public schools are a part of the "State," so they are bound by limitations imposed on the State by the Constitution. It can seem like a small thing, because the vast majority of people in SETX are some variation on Christian, so the vast majority of people will not be offended if there is a prayer before a game, whether that prayer is offered by a student or by a member of faculty, or even by a representative from one of the local churches.

But, here is a thought experiment: What if the majority of people in SETX suddenly joined a non-Christian religion, such that the majority of the school board, the local city councils, and the majority of the local churches espoused that religion? Would you want the kids who remain Christian and their families, to be forced to spend taxpayer dollars so that the local schools could promote that religion? Would you want your taxpayer dollars to go to paying faculty to pray to this non-Christian god at school functions? I think most people on this board would feel that this was something of an injustice, that it would be a violation of the 1st Amendment and the Free Exercise Clause of the Constitution.

You would be right, and the Constitution would be on your side. The Constitution protects your children from exactly this kind of violation. So as a Christian (I attend church every week, pay a tithe, and have served as a volunteer missionary abroad), I am grateful for the Constitution's guarantees that all of our freedoms of religion (including Christian, non-Christians, and atheists) will be protected from the government preferring one religion or religious group over another. Just like freedom of speech, the 2nd amendment, or anything else in the Bill of Rights, freedom of religion is absolutely essential, and freedom of religion is incomplete without the separation of Church and State. 

Im being non sports here but you better read the Constitution again it makes no mention of the separation of church and state what it says is Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

4 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Im being non sports here but you better read the Constitution again it makes no mention of the separation of church and state what it says is Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Feel free to PM me -- I welcome the discussion and the disagreement. I don't want to get any further off the BH-PNG game than I already have. Or, better yet, we can start a new thread that I will join, because this is a sports-related subject and it is relevant to SETX sports. 

23 minutes ago, Realville said:

BH gets to test out thier new video cameras they installed in the visitors coaching booth tonight. They ought to have a ribbon cutting ceremony before the game at the 50 yard line to celebrate it. I’d even let Faircloth cut the ribbon!

We had to take the cameras down because we figured PNG might use them.

4 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

5 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

BH gets to test out thier new video cameras they installed in the visitors coaching booth tonight. They ought to have a ribbon cutting ceremony before the game at the 50 yard line to celebrate it. 

:):):)

On 11/2/2018 at 4:33 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

The reason a student can lead a prayer but faculty cannot, while faculty can teach evolution, is that prayer led by faculty (or, for example, by a representative from local religion) violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution, and a member of faculty teaching evolution does not. Evolution is not a religion, so teaching or promoting it does not result in the Government, through public schools, "establishing," or promoting one religion over another. I think it is a good thing. One of the essential protections afforded us by the Constitution is the separation of Church and State. Public schools are a part of the "State," so they are bound by limitations imposed on the State by the Constitution. It can seem like a small thing, because the vast majority of people in SETX are some variation on Christian, so the vast majority of people will not be offended if there is a prayer before a game, whether that prayer is offered by a student or by a member of faculty, or even by a representative from one of the local churches.

But, here is a thought experiment: What if the majority of people in SETX suddenly joined a non-Christian religion, such that the majority of the school board, the local city councils, and the majority of the local churches espoused that religion? Would you want the kids who remain Christian and their families, to be forced to spend taxpayer dollars so that the local schools could promote that religion? Would you want your taxpayer dollars to go to paying faculty to pray to this non-Christian god at school functions? I think most people on this board would feel that this was something of an injustice, that it would be a violation of the 1st Amendment and the Free Exercise Clause of the Constitution.

You would be right, and the Constitution would be on your side. The Constitution protects your children from exactly this kind of violation. So as a Christian (I attend church every week, pay a tithe, and have served as a volunteer missionary abroad), I am grateful for the Constitution's guarantees that all of our freedoms of religion (including Christian, non-Christians, and atheists) will be protected from the government preferring one religion or religious group over another. Just like freedom of speech, the 2nd amendment, or anything else in the Bill of Rights, freedom of religion is absolutely essential, and freedom of religion is incomplete without the separation of Church and State. 

You put way too much thought in my slapstick comment.... But very well said! Thanks

15 minutes ago, BUDMAN said:

You put way too much thought in my slapstick comment.... But very well said! Thanks

I like those kinds of thoughts -- It may be nerdy on my part, and I'm sure my posts are too long, but I like to write, so I usually put too much thought into what I'm writing. Thanks for the feedback and good luck to BH tonight! My brother's kids go there (they started at PNG so they still cheer for both schools).