Saltwater - 2013

vhs

Ok, its a new year and I'm ready to catch some fish.  I have a question.  There is an island south of the causeway that is in the middle of the channel.  I've never fished it, but the map shows some good reef fishing around this island in the early Spring and later.  I want to be sure that I only need a Texas license to fish here.  Are any of you familiar with this area?

[quote name="vhs" post="1376061" timestamp="1361312810"]
I plan to get the La license, but some of my partners may not.  Am I correct that we can fish La shoreline as long as we don't cross into any bayous or inlets on that side?
[/quote]

Yeah.  Stay out of the bayous and you will be fine.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1376747" timestamp="1361389492"]
just get an LA license.  you can keep more fish, they don't have to be as long, and you have access to a lot more water.
[/quote]

Assuming that you launch and land on the LA side of the lake.

The Louisiana shoreline on the lake scares me a little because I'm not familiar with it, and the map shows a lot of shallow water... I assume this is where I always read about the guides doing the wade fishieang... I just got my bay boat last year, so I'm very new to this.  My last boat was an small alluminum boat, and I pretty much stuck to the rivers and Keith Lake.  I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of Sabine Lake, so I really appreciate all the tips guys...Thanks

[quote name="vhs" post="1379359" timestamp="1361832502"]
The Louisiana shoreline on the lake scares me a little because I'm not familiar with it, and the map shows a lot of shallow water... I assume this is where I always read about the guides doing the wade fishieang... I just got my bay boat last year, so I'm very new to this.  My last boat was an small alluminum boat, and I pretty much stuck to the rivers and Keith Lake.  I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of Sabine Lake, so I really appreciate all the tips guys...Thanks
[/quote]

It can be shallow but it rises gradually. You can follow a depth finder easily. The last time I fished there was in October with a guy that has a 24 foot bay boat with a 300 on the back. We were catching school specks about 60 feet from the shore in about 3-4 feet of water. It is way worse on the north end around Stewts Island where it can go from 40 feet in the channel to 1 foot when you get out of the channel. I have seen several bigger boats get slammed and do damage to their boats there.

[quote name="westend1" post="1379654" timestamp="1361899765"]
You also have to be pretty careful on the Louisiana side between the causeway and blue buck point.  That shallow water extends pretty far out and can catch you by surprise.
[/quote]

When we run that area, we never run the bank. We go deep in the lake to run and then run toward the shore, not down it. You can see the beaches there where it usually gets shallow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin