Coach Jackie Byrd

Eagle11

Coach Byrd's Obituary:

An incredible, amazing, special man, Jackie Wayne Byrd, 65, of Mont Belvieu, Texas, succumbed to pancreatic cancer at home surrounded by family and friends on February 13 at 12:40 am.
Jackie was born on February 2, 1948, in Beaumont, Texas, to Martha Scarborough Byrd Foster and Willis Wayne Byrd. He is preceded in death by his father Willis Wayne Byrd and father-in-law Charles Robert Bean.
Jackie is survived by his loving wife of 42 years Judy Bean Byrd, daughter Jennifer Byrd Dalby and husband Jason, daughter Julie Byrd Wylie and husband Chris, son Jordan Byrd and wife Deborah, mother Martha Scarborough Byrd Foster and husband Forrest James Foster, mother-in-law Mary Bean, sister Brenda Byrd Landrum and husband Ronny, brother Greg Byrd and wife Mary, 7 grandchildren (Madison, Sarah, Hannah, and Major Dalby; Brylea, Boss, and Champ Byrd), many nieces and nephews, extended family, and many friends. Jackie was a loving husband, father, grandfather, and friend to all.
Jackie led a fruitful life, not only for God, but for his family and work as well. He graduated from South Park High School in Beaumont, Texas, in 1966, and pursued his passion in baseball by continuing his education at Lamar Technical College in Beaumont, Texas. For 4 years, he played baseball and got a bachelor’s degree in education. While there, he met his sweetheart Judy. They met in May of 1970 and married in August of 1970. He began a successful career of teaching and coaching in 1970 at Highlands Junior High in Highlands, Texas. He soon went on to teach and coach at Robert E. Lee High School in Baytown, Texas, while careers at Ross S. Sterling High School in Baytown, Texas, and Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas, came later. Keeping his passion for education, he also pursued and received a master’s degree from Lamar University. After retirement, he continued to substitute teach and drive school buses, until his illness forced him to stop.
Jackie loved all sports, of all levels. He loved the camaraderie behind it all, and the sportsmanship. Many of his school lessons and Sunday School lessons revolved around sports stories. Jackie also loved the outdoors, like being on a boat and fishing in the middle of a lake. His other desires included household projects, traveling, and lawn work. However, he always put others’ desires and needs before his own, as he was a very generous man.
Jackie made an impact on many peoples’ lives, whether through his school teaching, coaching, church going, or being neighborly. He never met a stranger, and always was filled with words of encouragement.
Jackie will be missed by many but remembered for his loving nature.
A thank you is extended to Faith Community Hospice in Baytown, Texas, for the care and support during his last days, and a thank you is extended to Navarre Funeral Home and Old River Baptist Church for all of the arrangements.
A special thank you is extended to all of his loving family members and friends who have made such an impact on his life. Your love and support is much appreciated.

RIP Coach Byrd, I have never personally met this coach, but feel like I know him, much like a modern day Paul Bunyan. I have worked with  coaches such as Tim Lumpkin and Mike Bass who personally knew him and told of all the great things he did, but others in the community also lauded his daily efforts to help all those he came in contact with. Coaches like Jackie Byrd make our profession still one of honor.

Coach Bear, I wish you could have met him and had a talk. I meet with some coaches for breakfast when I can and Jackie was one of them. After hearing of his diagnosis, I walked out to his truck with him when leaving and just said "Coach, I am sorry for the news you got about cancer. I hope everything goes ok." His response amazed me........"John, I know there is a bigger plan here. I am not worried for me one bit because I know where my path leads.......God is good all the time."

RIP Coach

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder