What's up with Nederland!?!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1365821" timestamp="1358892059"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108406.msg1365793#msg1365793 date=1358889637]
Question, what players currently playing for Nederland are from Port Arthur?
[/quote]None on the Varsity team and none on the Freshmen team. There may be a JV player who transferred from PA, but not certain about that.
[/quote]
Say Abe..My brother is the PRINCIPAL at Memorial..Its a few more than that have transferred to Nederland, my man... 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1365770" timestamp="1358887358"]
Why bring Houston Yates into this argument? No one has even mentioned them this entire thread...Nederland has an excellent coach that has gotten about as much as he can out of the kids in that program...When order is restored in Port Arthur (and that will be very soon, by the way ;)) It will be back to normal in Nederland..Meaning victories will be few to none against the Memorials, Ozens, and Centrals of the SE Texas basketball world....I think you guys must face the reality, that program has reached it's plateau...Great run though...But they have SEEN their best basketball days over the past few years. Cherish it..
[/quote]Been trying to say the same thing Dickie but you say it so much betterwith conviction. ;D

Honestly, its not all abou the ones that Nederland HAS received, but its really about the ones that Memorial LOST. J'Covan was in Beaumont for two years, came back and was made to sit out half of his senior year...Memorial LOST that one. So when it comes down to it, if a DIFFERENT kid(s) is on that border, he will be more likely to go to the hotter program for basketball...Its been happening. But as I said..Once ORDER is restored in Port Arthur...... ;)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1365822" timestamp="1358892147"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=108406.msg1365821#msg1365821 date=1358892059]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108406.msg1365793#msg1365793 date=1358889637]
Question, what players currently playing for Nederland are from Port Arthur?
[/quote]None on the Varsity team and none on the Freshmen team. There may be a JV player who transferred from PA, but not certain about that.
[/quote]
Say Abe..My brother is the PRINCIPAL at Memorial..Its a few more than that have transferred to Nederland, my man... 8)
[/quote]Ok. Which kid(s) on JV are from PAM? Names please.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1365761" timestamp="1358885485"]
[quote author=85' HUSKER link=topic=108406.msg1365749#msg1365749 date=1358883206]
Actually, Nederland does have Open Enrollment. We like to fly under the radar and work the program through Open Gym on Wednesday's and Sunday's during off periods. Lot's of good looking athletes from Beaumont, PA and other towns come in for a meet-N-greet with the coach, community and players. We hope to attract transfers through this program at a young age. Preferably, they make the jump going into 9th grade when it isn't so noticeable. The program has not been successful the last few years, but we were able to nab a good freshman this year.  :D
[/quote]Wow! Wondering if you are ever going to make a factual post regarding the basketball program? ::)
[b]If you're bitter about something, let's hear it.
[/quote][/b]
Abe I think you hit the nail on the head!

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1365659" timestamp="1358865172"]
[quote author=bball2011 link=topic=108406.msg1365611#msg1365611 date=1358824608]
[quote author=BIG SHOW link=topic=108406.msg1365344#msg1365344 date=1358706957]
I don't think there is anything wrong with Nederland.  There are some small things that Nederland can improve on but sometimes the shots fall for you and sometimes they don't.  Look at Ozen for example. They almost lost to PNG because they couldn't get there shots to go down.  There is a lot of basketball left. Anything could happen!

Also IMO, the BMT schools should be the top runners in the district in all three sports. Football, Basketball, Baseball.  You have 100K + to choose from with a open enrollment with a 5A school already in the area vs the rest of the district with 16k that have 1 school. I think Ozen and Central should be playing 5A. IMO, i think if you have a area with 5A numbers and a open enrollment, you should be playing 5A. Or close the open enrollment and make them go to the school in there living zone. I bet there are some 7 graders and 8th graders right now playing together from different zones in BMT debating on what school they should all go to when they get to high school. Other schools in the district don't have this luxury.
[/quote]

Doesn't Nederland have open enrollment?
[/quote] We only have one HS within NISD, how can we have open enrollment? ???
[/quote]  do you know what open enrollment means...it means that a kid from any school district can pay a fee and go to that school, it does matter where they live. I'm not saying that there are any kids that are from other areas going to that school...cause I don't know...but the talent level has gotten better over there...you may can just credit that to the coach

Just explaining how the open gym program works. How is that being bitter? It's a brilliant way to attract better athletes don't you think? At least coach knows this. Why else would we open the gym to anyone other than Nederland tax payers? Boy, if this gets you upset just wait til tomorrow. I just about have my list narrowed for the thread question --What's up with Nederland? I am going to explain things that not even coach understands. Stay tuned 

[quote name="85' HUSKER" post="1366039" timestamp="1358917513"]
Just explaining how the open gym program works. How is that being bitter? It's a brilliant way to attract better athletes don't you think? At least coach knows this. Why else would we open the gym to anyone other than Nederland tax payers? Boy, if this gets you upset just wait til tomorrow. I just about have my list narrowed for the thread question --What's up with Nederland? I am going to explain things that not even coach understands. Stay tuned
[/quote]

Thank God we have you Husker to provide your prescient insights!  Someone alert Coach English that he needs to get on here and find out what may be wrong with his program according to some moron on an Internet message board.  If he heeds Huskers advice he can probably preserve the integrity of the program for years to come!

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1366061" timestamp="1358942991"]
[quote author=85' HUSKER link=topic=108406.msg1366039#msg1366039 date=1358917513]
[/quote]

Thank God we have you Husker to provide your prescient insights!  Someone alert Coach English that he needs to get on here and find out what may be wrong with his program according to some moron on an Internet message board.  If he heeds Huskers advice he can probably preserve the integrity of the program for years to come!
[/quote]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="85' HUSKER" post="1366039" timestamp="1358917513"]
[/quote]

[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/Jorjelus/Smiley/popcorn.gif[/img]

[quote name="bball2011" post="1366030" timestamp="1358916851"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=108406.msg1365659#msg1365659 date=1358865172]
[quote author=bball2011 link=topic=108406.msg1365611#msg1365611 date=1358824608]
[quote author=BIG SHOW link=topic=108406.msg1365344#msg1365344 date=1358706957]
I don't think there is anything wrong with Nederland.  There are some small things that Nederland can improve on but sometimes the shots fall for you and sometimes they don't.  Look at Ozen for example. They almost lost to PNG because they couldn't get there shots to go down.  There is a lot of basketball left. Anything could happen!

Also IMO, the BMT schools should be the top runners in the district in all three sports. Football, Basketball, Baseball.  You have 100K + to choose from with a open enrollment with a 5A school already in the area vs the rest of the district with 16k that have 1 school. I think Ozen and Central should be playing 5A. IMO, i think if you have a area with 5A numbers and a open enrollment, you should be playing 5A. Or close the open enrollment and make them go to the school in there living zone. I bet there are some 7 graders and 8th graders right now playing together from different zones in BMT debating on what school they should all go to when they get to high school. Other schools in the district don't have this luxury.
[/quote]

Doesn't Nederland have open enrollment?
[/quote] We only have one HS within NISD, how can we have open enrollment? ???
[/quote]  do you know what open enrollment means...it means that a kid from any school district can pay a fee and go to that school, it does matter where they live. I'm not saying that there are any kids that are from other areas going to that school...cause I don't know...but the talent level has gotten better over there...you may can just credit that to the coach
[/quote]
Really? How much is this fee?  Nederland has had the talent for years, the majority of good athletes played Football and Baseball in years past.  The basketball program in years past is not what it is today!

[quote name="GoBigBlue1997" post="1366065" timestamp="1358944837"]
[quote author=85' HUSKER link=topic=108406.msg1366039#msg1366039 date=1358917513]
[/quote]

[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/Jorjelus/Smiley/popcorn.gif[/img]
[/quote]
LOL.... I have my popcorn ready also. Can't wait for Husker to explain things that not even coach English understands.  ::) LMAO..

[quote name="bball2011" post="1366071" timestamp="1358947235"]
I think at HJ and Kountze it's $1000 per school year...if you don't live in the district. I know of a few that are in the HJ program that don't live there in the lower levels...
[/quote]
Wow... This is news to me. I know that Nederland doesn't allow such a thing.  If you attended Nederland is because you live in the Nederland ISD zone.

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1366061" timestamp="1358942991"]
[/quote]

[/quote]8) 8)

So when is the actual time frame of being considered a recruited player or move in that makes a basketball program good? When a kid is born in a hospital in P.A. B MT. or another city but they are actully not residents of those citites, 1st thru 5th grade then move to different town, 6th thru 8th grade then move or 9th thru 12th grade?

[quote name="bball2011" post="1366071" timestamp="1358947235"]
I think at HJ and Kountze it's $1000 per school year...if you don't live in the district. I know of a few that are in the HJ program that don't live there in the lower levels...
[/quote]

I think the UIL would really be interested to know if anything like that was going on. 

It is so very amazing that all of this recruiting stuff seems to be perfectly acceptable at certain schools.  Then, let a school like Nederland lift its program up substantially and the naysayers want to explain it away because somebody moved there who shouldnt live there.  Brian English has raised the quality of the Nederland Basketball program substantially and all of this BS about Pt. ARthur or Ozen or Central making Nederland success disappear is simply wishful thinking.  Nederland may not win the district every year, but they are a legitimate contender  every year and you naysayers are better off to acknowledge it and live with it rather than trying to "talk it away".

[quote name="GoBigBlue1997" post="1366141" timestamp="1358965756"]
[quote author=bball2011 link=topic=108406.msg1366071#msg1366071 date=1358947235]
[/quote]

I think the UIL would really be interested to know if anything like that was going on.
[/quote]

You havent the slightest idea what you are talking about.  However, if you think you do, it is your civic duty to report this to the UIL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298