Re:Ozen vs PNG

chocky

[quote name="kenneth1617" post="1364222" timestamp="1358375175"]
kountze beat deweville same way 135-30 somthing  start playing when you are 6 or 7 and not when you get in high school and this wouldnt happen  not enough little dribblers programs in the area if you ask me  all the teams with a youth bb program usually do good year end and year out
[/quote]

You are correct, and it is kids who want to put in the work to get better.

I'm pretty sure PNG is good at Volleyball, Soccer, and Softball year in and year out. CC team usually is in the mix as well. I bet Soccer runs more than Basketball. Maybe one day PNG will be good in basketball...maybe not. Either way...no excuse for a 104-9 drumming in a non shot clock level. I was not at the game and I don't even have a problem with the coach pressing with her 2nd string (doubt their is a third string in basketball...usually only 10 on varsity...12 at most) if she wants to work on the press and they are up by 50. Obviously that probably took place in the first half. Can someone tell us the score by quarter??? No way for us to really know what happened if we weren't there, but I find it hard to believe they weren't pushing the ball most of the game.

Guest ladyraider03
Seems like Ozen is just trying to make a statement that there better than Georgetown but to beat a team with a first year coach by that much is wrong. When I was in high school in Norteast Texas we would press with for the first half and when we were up by 40 at halftime we just slowed it down. If that's what they did that's fine. If not then that's the most classless thing a coach can do.

There is nothing, I repeat N O T H I N G that would excuse a 104 - 9 beatdown of a 1st year coach and a group of already beat up young ladies.  I dont care if Ozen's jv is better, if someone not very familiar with the game was upset ya'll held the ball against Vidor (Part of the game and a smart move, I had no problem), Wanted to get a better state ranking, wanted to intimidate some other teams it really doesn't matter. As a coach you do not embaress another team like that, im not sure a lot of you are getting the drift here. They just beat a team by 95 points, not 50 not 65 not 80. 95 FREAKING POINTS. It's as simple as slowing the ball down for god sakes.

let me make this clear.I was at the game,PNG did not play well at all.Their passes were so soft and slow that the team pick them off and made a lay up.as far as Ozen using the press,that may have last half of the first qtr.104 to 9 that all offense.No time to set up a press.ONG girls had ??? turn overs this game.At halftime I think the score was 62 To 4 the game was slowed down most of the bench was in and toyed with different positions.getting to 100 in a game has been in reach for the ozen girls numerous times this season.The coach did not allow it.Its now the second half of the season if allowing her team to reach agoal have fun dont beat them up.like i said this is not the first time this has happen.it happen 2yrs. ago  4a teams has Stars on them VIDOR(Jacks Other senior name starts with a Bb) Central(Melena.Tree) Ozen (BROWN,JONES RAWLS,MOTEN)PNG( Well ???)      Lumberton(THe Sisters).

hf fan - what is the point level when you tell your players to "slow" down?  40, 50, 60, 70 80?

btw ozen does not press... they play a half court 1-3-1.  to tell them they have to play a 2-3, so that png can get a shot up is awful.... to say they should hold the ball and let the time run out is not fair to either team...

I am sure that coach downs... who is not a 1st year coach by any means... would rather play the game than to sit and watch ozen stand and hold the ball for the last 16 min of the game... that certainly does not help png get any better.

I would imagine that if ozen wanted to put up 150, they probably could have...  maybe the score was a result of them taking it easy... you have to remember this was a pretty darn good team.. with 3 d1 players playing a really bad team.... happens some time.

the ymca has games where they don't keep score...

Hey Hawk at what point did I say Ozen should stop shooting? When did I say for Ozen to hold the ball in this game? At what point did I say that they should run a different defense to let PNG shoot? Okay thanks. I know Coach Downs isnt a first year coach she was the head girls coach when I was at Hamshire. This is her first year as a head coach for PNG. If you are running a 1-3-1 and starting at half court they are going to push the girl into a trap which in turn my good sir is a half court press. I know that Ozen is a good team, I know they have some major talent thats great good for them but 104-9 is crazy. As a coach do you really not mind a team running up a score like that?

1st off... a 1-3-1 does not always have to trap.... ozen plays it straight up alot....

when you have a good team, your priorities should be to do what you can to help advance your team the furthest it can go.....several times this season.... i have seen ozen get near 100 only to have coach brown slow em down...

i think that ozen should be allowed to play hard for 4 entire quarters in a way that will benefit them down the stretch.... not to pad stats...

you said that there is nothing that would excuse a score like this..... my response is yes there is...  you are implying that ozen should stop playing hard, miss some shots, kill time or let png shoot or score.....  i am saying that it is not the job of the ozen coach to worry about what the other team is doing... how they are feeling etc....  her job is to develop and coach her team.

as far as me, i have been in quite a few games where we were vastly better than the other team.  I have used all kinds of things to keep the score close, but at no time to i ever tell a player to take it easy or not play as hard.... i let my subs know that now is a chance for them to earn more time.  I actually got blasted on here a few years back when we shut out 3 teams.... 60-0, 58-0 and 71-0....  those scores could have probably been 150-0 so yes we let up... but not on defense... because that was what I as a coach decided our team was going to hang our hat on for that season...

I would never tell or "imply" for a team to miss shots on purpose lets get real here. Im not mad that PNG only scored 9 points its their fault they couldnt hit some shots and just like my last statement I would never "imply" for a team to let the other one shoot or score dont misconstrue what i'm saying I said nothing even close to that. It's very easy to slow the ball down and work on a half court offense. Let me go ahead and clarify before you jumble that one up, im not saying stall the ball like your protecting a close lead so save that one. The coach can do whatever she wants that's fine but me and you both know there is some courtesy and some class involved in this game and 104-9 is over the top.

PNG runs the score up on teams in other sports, that there good at. So, I have no sympathy for them. You still have to play basketball. If Ozen is a 1-3-1 team and that's what they do in practice, why should the 2nd teamers be put in to do something else. PNG girls need to work harder and get better. Sounds like they knew this was going to happen before the game started and they made it happen. And yes I know what it's like to get beat like that. I was on a Boy's Club team that got beat by 100. It was like "00 Ozen boy's team vs. a 1A jv team. We knew when we got off the bus it was probaly going to be that way and we let it happen. We went back there 2 years later and they beat us by 10. You have let something like that motivate you to get better.

Coach Brown if you read this non sense please dont change your coaching style. Continue to work your girls hard. Remember how they felt coming up short in AUSTIN. If you have the talent to beat a team by 95 beat them by 95.  and then once you beat the invite them to saturday practice and show them how hard your girls work!!!!! Highschool basketball is not a saturday morning little dribbler or Ymca game.

[quote name="DJANGO" post="1364731" timestamp="1358533546"]
Coach Brown if you read this non sense please dont change your coaching style. Continue to work your girls hard. Remember how they felt coming up short in AUSTIN. If you have the talent to beat a team by 95 beat them by 95.  and then once you beat the invite them to saturday practice and show them how hard your girls work!!!!! Highschool basketball is not a saturday morning little dribbler or Ymca game.
[/quote]

I second that.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1364406" timestamp="1358442410"]
PNG runs the score up on teams in other sports, that there good at. So, I have no sympathy for them. You still have to play basketball. [/quote]

PROOVE IT!

I know for a fact that the PNG Softball team has never beaten the Central Lady Jags 40-0 when they could have easily. Coach Fontenot/Buchanan will not allow it!

Ya'll just really dont have a clue do yall? Just goes to show respect and class really dont mean anything anymore. Congrats on beating a poor team by 95 points, sure did accomplish a lot congratulations. It's not a matter of skill it's called having class and calling off the dogs after you up by a bunch let alone 95 smh. I have played, coached and reffed this game so don't call what i'm saying nonsense I have seen it all and this was a low point here, and people getting on here and defending the action. smh.... If H-F or Vidor would have done this to someone I would be on here getting on them the same way. I would say I hope PNG spanks them in Baseball and softball but I wouldnt sink down to that crap.

In softball you get run ruled ,impossible to win 40-0 but Ozen and Central have been run ruled 15-0 by the likes of PNG,Nederland,LCMS,and other teams as well, after you get beat so badly you either get better or you quit.Don't take me wrong, I am not advocating running the score up in any sport ,but don't pretend the score is not lopsided in other sports because they are.

Depends on who is getting beat,both would make me realize I have to get my team more prepared to be able to compete.I have been on the losing side or lopsided,ridiculousness,what ever you want to call it, I use that as a motivational tool for the players to work harder,year round to get to the other team level.

[quote name="rc2182" post="1364882" timestamp="1358556728"]
In softball you get run ruled ,impossible to win 40-0 but Ozen and Central have been run ruled 15-0 by the likes of PNG,Nederland,LCMS,and other teams as well, after you get beat so badly you either get better or you quit.Don't take me wrong, I am not advocating running the score up in any sport ,but don't pretend the score is not lopsided in other sports because they are.
[/quote]
Its 15 after 3 and the game doesnt end as soon as you score 15 unless its in the bottom of the 3rd. Son it is actually very possible to win 40-0.  PNG has been up on Central 15-0 after 1 and played two more innings without winning 40-0. It's called having some respect for your opponent.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin