D1 Players

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1361598" timestamp="1357582325"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=107985.msg1361590#msg1361590 date=1357580374]
Zach has potential, but he better hit the weights and start doing more ball handling skills when basketball season is over...... 
[/quote]I've been preaching the same thing about the weight room. Basketball has become more physical than finesse.
His ball handling skills are as good as anyone in our area. He played point last year, but is playing the '2' this year. He doesn't have the explosiveness to play PG at a D1 school, IMO.

He's a shooter though, and that's why he's getting a lot of looks. He's aggressive on offense, but he need to step up his defensive aggression. If he were better physically developed, that would definitely help.
[/quote]

If your playing a guard position there is always room for improvement in the ball handling area.....as a freshmen coming in you ve got to be ready because those upper classmen are not going to let you just come in and take one of their spots....you're going to have to earn it.  so he will need to continuously work on every aspect of his game leading up to enrolling in college.  can't be rusty. 
Gotta be able to take the bumps and handchecks and still handle ball efficiently with eyes up
His best friend after the season should be the weightroom

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1361600" timestamp="1357583409"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=107985.msg1361580#msg1361580 date=1357578756]
IMO, size is everything.  You ave a really good player standing 5'11".  You have another player at 6'8" that can do the SAME THING and I'll guarantee you the D-1 college will go after the taller kid.  They don't want to say this, but this is true since you can NEVER teach height...
[/quote] I saw a 6'7" (2014) kid playing point guard for a team in NY. He has the size and skill set to play guard. H e will have no problem being recruited. But, there is a market for small guards who can shoot, create their own shots and play some defense. You very seldom see bigger guards posting on the smaller guards in college...hmmmm? I wonder why?
[/quote]

The game has definitely changed. 

One BIG problem. Coach E (dad) doesn't believe in the weight room or any form of working out with weights. Lil English's best asset for post HS ball will be his dads contacts though. I feel like 5gallon. D1 is a stretch with his ball handling and up and down play. He's a lot better when he tries to score and doesn't let his teammates take all the shots. (Ex: Silsbee game). 

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1361598" timestamp="1357582325"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=107985.msg1361590#msg1361590 date=1357580374]
Zach has potential, but he better hit the weights and start doing more ball handling skills when basketball season is over...... 
[/quote]I've been preaching the same thing about the weight room. Basketball has become more physical than finesse.
His ball handling skills are as good as anyone in our area. He played point last year, but is playing the '2' this year. He doesn't have the explosiveness to play PG at a D1 school, IMO.

He's a shooter though, and that's why he's getting a lot of looks. He's aggressive on offense, but he need to step up his defensive aggression. If he were better physically developed, that would definitely help.
[/quote]
I think Zach has a chance to play some college ball but not D1 at this point.  IMO.... a juco would be ideal for Zach. They would put some weight on him and develope him even more, then after his 2 years of juco he could possibly make the leap to a D1 school. You just never know...  I also think Nederland has some under classman that could possibly play college ball as well... Only time will tell..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder