**#5 NEDERLAND at #8 SILSBEE Broadcast**/Nederland wins 66-61

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win Nederland int foul could have went either way though, with Silsbee's speed they should have drove to the basket a lot more than they did , settling for the outside shot help keep Nederland in this game and gave them a chance, silsbee is not where they were last year yet but they are getting there.

English is a great player. He is the reason they won! I was expecting a lot more from #1 from Nederland... English is the real deal! Nederland is a very fundamental team and silsbee (like always) could not score on a half court zone defense. Much respect for coach English on the discipline of his team! As far as Silsbee, Hit free throws and stop fouling so much! Can't win games with your best player out most of the 2nd half. Silsbee will be fine!

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1355272" timestamp="1355542564"]
Where are those "experts" with those double digit predictions? ;D
[/quote]
Right Here !!! I Under-estimated the English Kid, he caught fire and we couldnt stop him .... Point Blank...Coach english had a hell of a game plan by running a zone and making silsbee shoot threes and it worked... Great win Nederland, Both Teams will have a hell of a playoff run ... Go Tigers

Score by quarters

1        2        3        4        tot

Nederland              10      11        17      28        66
Silsbee                  9        15        14      23        61

Team stats

FT %

Nederland    16/21    76%
Silsbee        7/16    44%

3 point %

Nederland      8/17  47%
Silsbee          6/26  23%

Rebounds

Nederland        40
Silsbee            32

Turnovers

Nederland        17
Silsbee            15

Individual scoring

Nederland

Zach English                29 (12 rebounds, 11/14 FT's)
Jacob Landry                12 (4/6 three pointers)
Colton Weisbrod          10 (8 rebounds)
Jared Lorimier                7
Jamiere Rodgers            4
Alex Taylor                    3
Diondre Frank                1

Silsbee

Jordan Holmes                18 (16 in 2nd half, 14 in last 2 minutes of game)
Chris Elam                      13
Davaughn Thomas          11 (11 rebounds, 3/9 FT)
Jake Dobbins                  10 (8 rebounds)
Patrick Reed                    6 (7 rebounds)
Danti Wilson                    3 (1/9 three pointers)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1355327" timestamp="1355545928"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=107485.msg1355325#msg1355325 date=1355545850]
Who do you kick district off against Tuesday?
[/quote]

Uh, look at the schedules I have posted. ::)
[/quote] Uh, thanks for answering my question, RAZOR.  ::) ::)

6/26 of threes and 3 of those made came at the end.  So I bet it was 3/22 or so before that.  Those numbers along with Nederland dictating the pace of play were the big differences.  The Tigers need to string together several wins in a row to get that confidence back that they had last year.  Keep working guys.

Great game for the dogs tonight. A huge confidence builder. Very happy for Z English, dad and the whole family. The best I've ever seen him play.  Ned handled the pressure tonight much better than I thought they would. This was a good test for the upcoming district foes of Ozen and Central. Also, was happy for Landry( The Rifle) huge game with 4-3"s. Ned was hitting their outside shots tonight and that was the difference.   

I think the dogs came out with a chip on there shoulder tonight...They played with some toughness and intensity to pull out a big win on the road tonight!  The talk all week about Silsbee having all there football players back and Nederland only beat them in the YMBL because they didn't have there complete team.  Well, what's the excuse now? All the boys on Silsbee helped some friends paint there house yesterday and there forearms were soar and it effected there jump shot. LOL... just a joke. Silsbee simply couldn't hit there shot's tonight and Nederland did. Silsbee is very athletic and will be tough to beat in there district. Good luck to both teams in district play.

Nederland did play hard,and they played team ball. Their win was well deserved.Zach did play an exellent game. I watched the film from the Westbrook/Silsbee game lastnight after the game,and Silsbee played a great game of "TEAM" ball.I did'nt see that tonite. I believe last night the Tigers could have also played better defense. They did not hustle the boards as they should have,and freethrows hurt them too.They need to realize that when one thing is not working for you go to plan B. And about the incident with the fans and the coach. It was not the fans and Coach English,it was Coach English and the refs. The fans were just listening to Coach English go off on the refs(lol). Whatever he told them must have worked,because the calls started being called the other way!!!HMMMMM......The tigers will be fine. TEAM BALL is the key,and hustle,hustle,hustle the boards. Its no secret who my son is,and trust me he could have definitely hustled harder...He got this lecture all the way home!!!#32's number 1 Fan

[quote name="Stephen A Smith" post="1355374" timestamp="1355556529"]
English Out coached Sigler period.... Silsbee walks the ball up the court an calls an play almost ever trip smh Silsbee WILL NOT go anywhere doing that they HAVE TO RUN
[/quote]
I agree 100% about Silsbee running. Silsbee had NEVER been a half court offensive team. They are a Run-N-Gun team. BUT I also have to give Nederland credit for getting back in that boring zone.. Silsbee's weakness is the half court game. It always has been, even when I played.. They MUST work on their half court plays if they want to make a state run... They have all the potential in the world this year (just like most years) but lets see if the "other team members" can make a adjustment!

[quote name="bradyb" post="1355399" timestamp="1355580255"]
[quote author=Stephen A Smith link=topic=107485.msg1355374#msg1355374 date=1355556529]
English Out coached Sigler period.... Silsbee walks the ball up the court an calls an play almost ever trip smh Silsbee WILL NOT go anywhere doing that they HAVE TO RUN
[/quote]
I agree 100% about Silsbee running. Silsbee had NEVER been a half court offensive team. They are a Run-N-Gun team. BUT I also have to give Nederland credit for getting back in that boring zone.. Silsbee's weakness is the half court game. It always has been, even when I played.. They MUST work on their half court plays if they want to make a state run... They have all the potential in the world this year (just like most years) but lets see if the "other team members" can make a adjustment!
[/quote]As a Ned fan, I was surprised at our zone D, bc we play man 90% of the time. I'm guessing English realized his kids did not match up well with Silsbee's speed, so he went with (and stuck to) his zone. However, I don't think Silsbee usually shoots 3/23 for 95% of most games. I noticed the Tigers made a few in last 2 min or so but they were in transition when those shots were made.

Silsbee is very good at offensive rebounding. I'm guessing y'all had at least 15 offensive rebounds; Many times 3 in one possession. Dawgs MUST do a better job at blocking out. May have been different last night since we were in zone as opposed to man.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1355286" timestamp="1355543227"]
Good win Nederland [b]int foul could have went either way though[/b], with Silsbee's speed they should have drove to the basket a lot more than they did , settling for the outside shot help keep Nederland in this game and gave them a chance, silsbee is not where they were last year yet but they are getting there.
[/quote]

The intentional foul call was the correct call. It could not be called any other way. Reed was trying to keep English from scoring on a break away and was just a little too zealous in his foul, his momentum knocking Zach to the floor. Officials going to call that every time. I am convinced there was no malicious intent with the foul, just that Reed knew he needed to foul in that situation and his momentum carried both players to the floor.

That was a big moment in the game though. Silsbee had battled back from being down 55-40, but made a furious comeback going on an 18-5 run to close the game to two points at 60-58. Jordan Holmes scored 11 points in that 2 minute stretch, including knocking down 2 three's (Tigers were 3/22 at that point) and also getting a three point play. It was on the next possession when Reed made the intentional foul on English. It came when Silsbee had Nederland bottled up in the backcourt and about to turn it over when Zach was able to get behind the Tiger's defense on the breakaway and Reed had to foul. English made 1 of 2 (Bulldogs were in double bonus) but more importantly kept possession of the ball with 32 seconds left in game. Jamiere Rodgers then went 4-4 from line and English made another FT to increase their lead to 66-58. Holmes hit another three at the buzzer for the final score of 66-61. Holmes scored 14 points in that final 2 minutes of play.

Nederland played very well, particularly Zach English. He had a monster game and was the Tiger killer that night. 29 points, 12 rebounds, 11/14 from free throw line. Clutch performance last night from Zach. Nederland's zone defense did the trick. Silsbee simply could not shoot over the zone. Had Silsbee been able to knock down some of those three's earlier, it would have opened up the zone more and would allowed Silsbee to get more penetration and create more offense. Silsbee shot the ball terrible, going 6/26 from 3 point line (23%). Tigers were an abysmal 36% from the field and only 44% from FT line. Was just a very poor shooting night for the Tigers all the way around.

Silsbee missed Zayon Jackson last night. He is a much needed spark plug off the bench and can provide needed relief for PG Danti Wilson who had a very bad night of shooting the three, going 1/9.

Silsbee seems to still be trying to find themselves offensively and that frustration transfers back on defense in the effort part. Tigers get too laxed at times and allow easy baskets.

I personally am not worried just yet. If the Tigers are still trying to "work things out" in January, then I'll be concerned. Silsbee has yet to play a game where it had all it's players available. Tigers have two district games next week (Orangefield, at Buna) and then the Sherman Tourney. I am confident the Tigers will get it going in that span of games.

Silsbee did get too many off rebounds and 2nd chance shots however a lot of that was probably due to our zone defense causing silsbee to take long shots which resulted in long rebounds. Our defense played good. I thought Hanley and Lormier handled the ball well. We broke the press well. Late in the game we made some clutch rebounds and freethrows by English and Rogers. Even with the constant hacking and fouling that wasn't called Ned handled the pressure and kept their composure. Probably the most exciting game from start to finish I've seen in a long time

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83