The Tyler Rose, Earl Campbell. Could he have gone straight from HS to the NFL?

jb

The subject came up this weekend. Cetainly one of the most dominant forces to ever play HS Football. Only hypothetical, but worth the input.. Thoughts!

Earl in high school: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vXui1Ryvo&feature=plcp

Old footage and the only thing i could find.

I'll go with what Barry Switzer said on an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary. "I had only seen one kid I thought could make an NFL roster straight out of high school and he was from Tyler, TX . . . . that is until I saw Marcus Dupree." Barry Switzer kept OU on probation so his recruiting practices are definitely questionable but other than that he always seemed to shoot you straight. So I guess Earl probably could make an NFL roster. One of his former lineman, Steve Timmons works up here and tell me stories all the time about him killing people from the day he got to Austin.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1337282" timestamp="1353358559"]
only players on film that IMO could have went pro out of school are: Marcus Dupree, Earl Campbell and [b]Adrian Peterson[/b].
[/quote]

Back when  Maurice Clarrett challenged the 3 year out of high school rule and won, opening the door for USC WR Mike Williams in 2004 before it was overturned. I remember hearing that Adrian Peterson (a HS senior at the time) was pretty set on entering the draft out of high school before all that got flip flopped. He was a projected Top 10 NFL pick if he entered the draft. After 1900 yards rushing his freshman season at OU, (and all his success since then) he proved that would not have been a mistake. I am a big supporter of the rule that you must wait until 3 years after your graduating class. I hate what it has done to college basketball with one and done players, and even worse when you could go straight out of high school. The NBA game has been affected by this as well.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1337304" timestamp="1353360724"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=106513.msg1337282#msg1337282 date=1353358559]
only players on film that IMO could have went pro out of school are: Marcus Dupree, Earl Campbell and [b]Adrian Peterson[/b].
[/quote]

Back when  Maurice Clarrett challenged the 3 year out of high school rule and won, opening the door for USC WR Mike Williams in 2004 before it was overturned. I remember hearing that Adrian Peterson (a HS senior at the time) was pretty set on entering the draft out of high school before all that got flip flopped. He was a projected Top 10 NFL pick if he entered the draft. After 1900 yards rushing his freshman season at OU, (and all his success since then) he proved that would not have been a mistake. I am a big supporter of the rule that you must wait until 3 years after your graduating class. I hate what it has done to college basketball with one and done players, and even worse when you could go straight out of high school. The NBA game has been affected by this as well.
[/quote]
I think the NCAA needs to change their stance on Basketball players........I think they should have to stay in school 2 years once they sign with a school

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1337307" timestamp="1353360858"]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=106513.msg1337304#msg1337304 date=1353360724]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=106513.msg1337282#msg1337282 date=1353358559]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I think the NCAA needs to change their stance on Basketball players........[b]I think they should have to stay in school 2 years once they sign with a school[/b]
[/quote]i agree 1000% with this!

[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=106513.msg1337304#msg1337304 date=1353360724]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I think the NCAA needs to change their stance on Basketball players........I think they should have to stay in school 2 years once they sign with a school
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1337282" timestamp="1353358559"]
only players on film that IMO could have went pro out of school are: Marcus Dupree, Earl Campbell and Adrian Peterson.
[/quote] I agree. I think those are the consensus 3 that I always hear talked about by long time coaches. Amazing that 2 are from Texas & all 3 played in the cotton bowl in the Red River Rivalry. There have been some great games & players in that series.

Athough the Tyler rose was electric w/power he wouldn't have done what he accomplished in the NFL w/o his college days.This sport is not baseball,you're getting hit by giants w/wheels in the NFL.Earl took a absolute beating of his body w/the Hou Oilers.Thanks Bum Phillips for helping Earl look out for his future livelyhood/investments opportunities

I agree with all three as well.  The for 30 for 30 film on Dupree was great.  If not for the knee injury he could have probably been a star in the NFL.  Earl played with a passion for the game I wish some still had today.  I don't think you could ever make another one of him if u had the scientific know how.  Another player that really comes to mind, but not sure if could have made the jump is Boobie Miles from Permian.  He was a man amongst boys in high school.  If not for the knee injury that 88 team may have won it all that year. 

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]I think once you go to college you should have to stay three years. Your hear the stories all the time about basketball players going to class their fall semester and not showing up for the spring and entering the draft that summer. I think that kind of makes a sham out of the student-athlete idea. Still think you should be able to come straight out of high school and go to the NBA though. There aren't many kids who have gone that route and failed, might not have been the superstars they were projected to be but not failures. NFL rules on prep players are fine I think.

former hbo sport president ross greenburg along with nfl films , nbc sports group and christian campbell , there will be a long awaited documentary coming this december on earl campbell's days at  john tyler high school state winning team , his texas days wining the heisman trophy and his great nfl career . they will also talk about the condition of former football players like earl that have life long injuries playing a violent and brutal game , its called still standing . the documentary is suppose to come on nbc channels,  i loved earl as a kid and dont think we will see another like him  in my lifetime . cant wait till it comes on

[quote name="cougar14" post="1337804" timestamp="1353423019"]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=106513.msg1337307#msg1337307 date=1353360858]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]I think once you go to college you should have to stay three years. Your hear the stories all the time about basketball players going to class their fall semester and not showing up for the spring and entering the draft that summer. I think that kind of makes a sham out of the student-athlete idea. Still think you should be able to come straight out of high school and go to the NBA though. There aren't many kids who have gone that route and failed, might not have been the superstars they were projected to be but not failures. NFL rules on prep players are fine I think.
[/quote]
I agree cougar.......you can still go pro out of high school but once you go to college there needs to be rules on how long you have to stay.....2, 3 years

The 30 for 30 on Dupree was, to me, the best. The kid was an amazing athlete. His problem, as with alot of stud athletes, is who they surround themselves with. No one had Marcus's best interest in mind, everyone had an ulterior motive.

I cannot wait for that documentary on Earl to come out. And I agree with you that there will not be another like him in my lifetime.

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1337838" timestamp="1353425463"]
Unless you lived through his era..i don't think you would realize just HOW dominate Earl was. If anyone could have gone from HS to pros he would have been the one. Quiet and unassuming and physically he was a beast.
[/quote]
I agree dragon........I am not saying he could not have, I just think any high school kids body is not ready for that kind of beating. High School to college is a huge jump.......the pros is a plane ride

isaiah robertson gets a lot of grief about getting ran over by earl campbell , but if you look at that clip posted ubove at the 5 second mark you will see jack youngblood who was one of the best defensive ends of that era, bad ass  and a future hall of famer didnt want none of earl after he ran over robertson he actually curled up like a sissy  in hopes of avoiding contact dave elmendorf #42 a texas born texas a&m aggie great and a pretty good safety back then grabs earl's jersy as it tears away(no horse collar there )  then if you find the clip of this run all the way to the end you will see fred dryer #89 the other defensive end in discuss looking like what in the hell just happened ??? for those of us that watched the show hunter in the mid 80's that was him . a lot of good to great defensive players got trucked by the tyler rose isaiah robertson was more decorated at his position than youngblood he was a 6 time all pro and pro bowler who anchored one of the better defenses in that era for some really good rams teams , too bad this is all he is rememberd for .

[quote name="liltex" post="1337795" timestamp="1353422304"]
Athough the Tyler rose was electric w/power he wouldn't have done what he accomplished in the NFL w/o his college days.This sport is not baseball,you're getting hit by giants w/wheels in the NFL.Earl took a absolute beating of his body w/the Hou Oilers.Thanks Bum Phillips for helping Earl look out for his future livelyhood/investments opportunities
[/quote]

I agree Lil tex, I think the career of any high school player going straight to the NFL would be shortened. Being able to play at that age and getting beat up as a young man at 18-22 yrs old by world class seasoned athletes would take its toll on any player.

Love Earl, wish the oilers were a better team back then, and maybe gave him a break every now and then, instead of using him like a borrowed mule.
Anyone else remember Bo Jackson Vs Brian Bosworth, now that was some funny stuff, Bosworth got trucked!!!

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1337849" timestamp="1353426230"]
[quote author=Txdragon link=topic=106513.msg1337838#msg1337838 date=1353425463]
Unless you lived through his era..i don't think you would realize just HOW dominate Earl was. If anyone could have gone from HS to pros he would have been the one. Quiet and unassuming and physically he was a beast.
[/quote]
I agree dragon........I am not saying he could not have, I just think any high school kids body is not ready for that kind of beating. High School to college is a huge jump.......the pros is a plane ride
[/quote]Ndamukong suh was not much older than 18

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86