Kaleb Denny

[quote name="SummerCreek it is!" post="1330920" timestamp="1352951073"]
I just heard BH 2014 QB Kaleb Denny just committed to Texas for Baseball
[/quote]

That sucks.  He needs to go to A&M, not UT.  A&M is where we have been sending our better players the last few years. 

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="BHjustwin" post="1331541" timestamp="1353014558"]
I believe that's where his dad went and was a stud. I'm sure they will have a picture up on the school web site signing soon. Good for him.
[/quote]
He did not sign, just verbally committed. He will sign this time next year.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1331417" timestamp="1353007200"]
Congrats to Kaleb!!!! I hope this doesn't make him want to lay off football next year and concentrate on baseball :(
[/quote]If I were his parents I would ask him not to play. Lots of time recruiters ask you not to play other sports besides like track or powerlifting, non-impact sports. If he really did commit to UT for baseball then he's elite good. Most time you only have about 10-15 full scholarship players on a baseball team and most of those are pitchers. The other kids went to A&M because UT and Guirrido didn't offer, those programs are on two different levels. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Denny plays second so that means he could have just as well gotten drafted and went to the minors depending on the signing bonus offered. No way I would let him risk a torn acl for something that doesn't matter after next year.

[quote name="BHjustwin" post="1331541" timestamp="1353014558"]
I believe that's where his dad went and was a stud. I'm sure they will have a picture up on the school web site signing soon. Good for him.
[/quote]
Yes he did.....his dad was an all american 3rd baseman for the 1983 Nat Champs I believe

Kaleb played 3rd last year I believe

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1331570" timestamp="1353016441"]
[quote author=BHjustwin link=topic=106298.msg1331541#msg1331541 date=1353014558]
[/quote]
Yes he did.....his dad was an all american 3rd baseman for the 1983 Nat Champs I believe

Kaleb played 3rd last year I believe
[/quote]
When I watched them against PNG last year, he was at 3rd base.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1331566" timestamp="1353016285"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=106298.msg1331417#msg1331417 date=1353007200]
Congrats to Kaleb!!!! I hope this doesn't make him want to lay off football next year and concentrate on baseball :(
[/quote]If I were his parents I would ask him not to play. Lots of time recruiters ask you not to play other sports besides like track or powerlifting, non-impact sports. If he really did commit to UT for baseball then he's elite good. Most time you only have about 10-15 full scholarship players on a baseball team and most of those are pitchers. The other kids went to A&M because UT and Guirrido didn't offer, those programs are on two different levels. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Denny plays second so that means he could have just as well gotten drafted and went to the minors depending on the signing bonus offered. No way I would let him risk a torn acl for something that doesn't matter after next year.
[/quote]

Yep , I agree it would be better to stop football and just focus on baseball, but I would hate to see him go.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1331566" timestamp="1353016285"]
[/quote]If I were his parents I would ask him not to play. Lots of time recruiters ask you not to play other sports besides like track or powerlifting, non-impact sports. If he really did commit to UT for baseball then he's elite good. Most time you only have about [b]10-15 full scholarship players on a baseball team[/b] and most of those are pitchers. The other kids went to A&M because UT and Guirrido didn't offer, those programs are on two different levels. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Denny plays second so that means he could have just as well gotten drafted and went to the minors depending on the signing bonus offered. No way I would let him risk a torn acl for something that doesn't matter after next year.
[/quote]
I have no data currently but I would be surprised if a college team had that many full scholarship baseball players.......not saying you are wrong, it is just hard to believe

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1331577" timestamp="1353017051"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=106298.msg1331566#msg1331566 date=1353016285]
[/quote]If I were his parents I would ask him not to play. Lots of time recruiters ask you not to play other sports besides like track or powerlifting, non-impact sports. If he really did commit to UT for baseball then he's elite good. Most time you only have about [b]10-15 full scholarship players on a baseball team[/b] and most of those are pitchers. The other kids went to A&M because UT and Guirrido didn't offer, those programs are on two different levels. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Denny plays second so that means he could have just as well gotten drafted and went to the minors depending on the signing bonus offered. No way I would let him risk a torn acl for something that doesn't matter after next year.
[/quote]
I have no data currently but I would be surprised if a college team had that many full scholarship baseball players.......not saying you are wrong, it is just hard to believe
[/quote]You're right, most of the time it's about 10 max. A lot of times baseball scholarships pay everything besides room/board and a meal plan. Those aren't "full" scholarships but they would only require the parents to pay about 2k a semester to supplement the rest of the scholarship and this is what the majority of baseball players on the team will have. Most of the full scholarship guys are pitchers anyway though, going to be interesting to see if he can make it to the big leagues and stay unlike our big league Crosby product who set the Astros single game rbi record but can't seem to bat over .200 for any extended periods of time. Got somebody to follow from Barbers Hill besides a golfer now. 

Believe it's been talked about, on here, several times.  D1 programs have a total of 11.7 scholarships to give out.  70% of a full is about the max for a good recruit.  Don't know of any fulls given recently.  Would hav to really be a game changer to be offered a full.  If your a good enough student, academically, they can sometimes work out more $$$. 

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1331658" timestamp="1353024201"]
[quote author=BH93 link=topic=106298.msg1331649#msg1331649 date=1353023638]
I will be really surprised if this is true. I attended alot of games these past 2 years
[/quote]why would you be suprised have you heard some other schools he is interested in.
[/quote]

Dont know of any other schools hes looking at although no doubt he will go somewhere. He's an outstanding young man and a hell of an "all around athlete", just have a hard time believing hes UT material. Not trying to downgrade the kid, like I said hes a great kid and athlete.

[quote name="ragarm55" post="1331622" timestamp="1353020316"]
Believe it's been talked about, on here, several times.  D1 programs have a total of 11.7 scholarships to give out.  70% of a full is about the max for a good recruit.  Don't know of any fulls given recently.  Would hav to really be a game changer to be offered a full.  If your a good enough student, academically, they can sometimes work out more $$$.
[/quote]

The myth of a baseball scholarship.  Pretty informative thread from a few years ago.

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=63290.0

[quote name="bh15" post="1332209" timestamp="1353071482"]
If Kaleb doesn't play football next year we would be in real trouble trying to fill his shoes at Qb. I don't believe he or his father will let BH down in this way. I think he will play.
[/quote]

I don't think it's a matter of letting BH down. It's why take the chance of getting hurt and not being able to play baseball at the next level or beyond. I haven't seen this young man play baseball that much ,but if he is that good then this could be a carear for him.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1332221" timestamp="1353072823"]
[quote author=bh15 link=topic=106298.msg1332209#msg1332209 date=1353071482]
If Kaleb doesn't play football next year we would be in real trouble trying to fill his shoes at Qb. I don't believe he or his father will let BH down in this way. I think he will play.
[/quote]

I don't think it's a matter of letting BH down. It's why take the chance of getting hurt and not being able to play baseball at the next level or beyond. I haven't seen this young man play baseball that much ,but if he is that good then this could be a carear for him.
[/quote]

Agree

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder