Willis @ Brenham: Predictions?

Willis, will bring lots of speed into this match up, including the 400m state champion, Chris Platt.  Brenham isn't exactly hurting in the speed department, but Willis will probably be the most athletic team we face this year.  That brings up the point that Willis is always loaded with athletes, but just can't put it together.  The Wildkats are coming off of a close 42-41 victory over Waller, where they denied the Bulldogs potential game winning 2-pt conversion attempt, inside 2 mins.  The Cubs had a bye, but beat the same Bulldog team 24-14, the week before.

Brenham 31
Willis      7

[quote name="rollinac" post="1288028" timestamp="1349115316"]
How's the Brenham Offense looking?  Still Improving?
[/quote]

Getting a little better.  That first game we turned the ball over way too much.  Lately we have been doing a better job of taking care of the ball and the soph QB is looking better every week, as he gets more reps.  As usual, our defense is what holds this team together.  Darrion Johnson has looked as good as advertised, and is not only playing CB, but running the ball as well.  The team is gelling better as the season goes on.  Hopefully everybody stays healthy the rest of the season.

[quote name="rollinac" post="1288054" timestamp="1349116405"]
I'm assuming it would help to have Justin Davis?  He was on a number of watch lists as I recall?
[/quote]

Big time.  He was one of our few returning starters.  We could also use his senior leadership on this very young team.  The kid played both ways and had several D1 schools looking at him, including an offer from Arizona State.

Do not confuse THIS willis team with the team they had the last two years, They've lost a TON of talent, especially on defense. I will be at this game since we play on thurs night, looking forward to seeing Brenham in person, seen them on film alot, but this will be my first time in person. Brenham may not blow them out, but the cubs should have their way with them.

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="1288552" timestamp="1349150169"]
Do not confuse THIS willis team with the team they had the last two years, They've lost a TON of talent, especially on defense. I will be at this game since we play on thurs night, looking forward to seeing Brenham in person, seen them on film alot, but this will be my first time in person. Brenham may not blow them out, but the cubs should have their way with them.
[/quote]

Well this Cub team isn't as loaded as usual, but I expect them to win.  The soph QB looks a little better every week.

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="1288552" timestamp="1349150169"]
[/quote]

I got an extra reserved seating ticket if you don't mind sitting on the Brenham side.  Are you interested?

[u][b]PREVIEW[/b][/u]
[b][color=green]Brenham[/color][/b]                              [color=purple][b]Willis[/b][/color]
    3-1      [b]Overall Record[/b]      2-3
    2-0      [b]District Record [/b]      2-1
  1155    [b]Offensive Yards[/b]    1455
    505      [b]Passing Yards[/b]        795
    650      [b]Rushing Yards[/b]      650
    288          [b]Avg. YPG[/b]          289
    603    [b]Defensive Yards[/b]    1916
    179      [b]Pass Yds. Def.[/b]      888
    454    [b]Rushing Yds. Def.[/b]  1028
  158.3      [b]Avg. YPG Def.[/b]    383.2

Brenham leads the series 11-4.

'04  '05  '06  '07  '08  '09
Brenham  49    54    24  29  17  40
Willis        28    0    7    0    0    9

A couple of interesting quotes from the coaches...

Coach West: "Boy this week is going to be a call and a challenge.  I'm very impressed with Willis offensively.  To this point, they'll be the most complete offense we've seen.  They can throw the ball well and have dangerous receivers, possession receivers."

Coach Jackson: "I know since 08' we've never had an opportunity to stay close to Brenham.  Even though they're young and extremely big, it's going to take everything we've got to stay in the game.  They're so much bigger and faster than we are.  Our kids are going to have to play well above their heads to stay within reach of the game."

SMH @ Coach Jackson...  What kind of message does that send to his team?  I can't believe he would bring that type of negativity into the locker room.  I'm also not sure what he's talking about when he said we have more speed then they do.  I mean, Willis is always really athletic.  Not to mention, they have the state champion in the 400m, in Chris Pratt.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1290588" timestamp="1349386958"]
Brenham leads the series 6-0.

Coach West: "Boy this week is going to be a call and a challenge.  I'm very impressed with Willis offensively.  To this point, they'll be the most complete offense we've seen.  They can throw the ball well and have dangerous receivers, possession receivers."

Coach Jackson: "I know since 08' we've never had an opportunity to stay close to Brenham.  Even though they're young and extremely big, it's going to take everything we've got to stay in the game.  They're so much bigger and faster than we are.  Our kids are going to have to play well above their heads to stay within reach of the game."

SMH @ Coach Jackson...  What kind of message does that send to his team?  I can't believe he would bring that type of negativity into the locker room.  I'm also not sure what he's talking about when he said we have more speed then they do.  I mean, Willis is always really athletic.  Not to mention, they have the state champion in the 400m, in Chris Pratt.
[/quote]Actually Brenham leads the series 11-4 since 1986 with Willis' last win coming in 1997.  These teams have played each other off and on since 1986. 

The progression of this Brenham team is right on schedule.  The development of Walter Thomas, along with the return of Darrion Johnson is key.  I am really enjoying being able to watch this team develop into a decent team.  I have said it before, and I will say it again.  This team is going to be a pretty good group by the time the playoffs roll around.

Brenham-24
Willis-7

[quote name="87Cub" post="1290996" timestamp="1349441930"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=104001.msg1290588#msg1290588 date=1349386958]

[/quote]Actually Brenham leads the series 11-4 since 1986 with Willis' last win coming in 1997.  These teams have played each other off and on since 1986.
[/quote]

I got it from the Banner Press, but I guess I misread it.  Maybe it said Brenham has won the last 6.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1291120" timestamp="1349448489"]
[quote author=87Cub link=topic=104001.msg1290996#msg1290996 date=1349441930]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=104001.msg1290588#msg1290588 date=1349386958]

[/quote]

I got it from the Banner Press, but I guess I misread it.  Maybe it said Brenham has won the last 6.
[/quote]

The Banner Press is a complete joke, the consistently throw out false stats and info and misspell our players names at least half of the time. I was on the '06 '07 team and in 2006 Brenham beat Willis by more than 50 points and 2007 was 42-7. I really wish we could hire a decent sports writer.

Brenham will win 42-13

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder