Final Prediction for the Vidor-Nederland Game.....

Vpirate

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1283049" timestamp="1348753469"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=103729.msg1283041#msg1283041 date=1348752794]
PIRATES    34
NEDERLAND 27
[/quote]

OOOOOOOOOOOH!  That's a lot of points being scored against two very good defenses. :-\
[/quote]

But Coach didn't say how he arrived at the score. Coach just assumed that everyone knew that it was all defensive touchdowns and safeties with no offensive points scored except extra points.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="tvc" post="1283203" timestamp="1348762217"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=103729.msg1283049#msg1283049 date=1348753469]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=103729.msg1283041#msg1283041 date=1348752794]
PIRATES    34
NEDERLAND 27
[/quote]

OOOOOOOOOOOH!  That's a lot of points being scored against two very good defenses. :-\
[/quote]

But Coach didn't say how he arrived at the score. Coach just assumed that everyone knew that it was all defensive touchdowns and safeties with no offensive points scored except extra points.
[/quote]

Good point!  Back in Tom Landry's days he made a comment on his TV show one time that at the time struck me as odd.  The host of the show reported a score from a game that was pretty heavily lop-sided.  This segment of the show was when Tom would comment on the results of games around the league that had been played that day.  Anyway, when Tom heard the lop sided score his comment was, "Wow, they (meaning the winner) must have had a great day on defense today."  (I put it in quotations but it was something to that effect.)  And in my infinite football knowledge I thought -"Defense?"  They score all those points and he says how good the defense must have been?  Well, the winning team had 2 pick sixes and a punt returned for TD's along with their REGULAR offensive output.  They had indeed controlled the ball like 45 playing minutes to 15 playing minutes.  I learned a real lesson that day.  When you play the game you pretty much know what to expect from your offense.  No way you go into a game with the idea, well - - we'll score a couple of times on interceptions and we'll throw in a punt return for good measure.  You can't and don't plan on points output from your defense.

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1283282" timestamp="1348767507"]
[quote author=tvc link=topic=103729.msg1283203#msg1283203 date=1348762217]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=103729.msg1283049#msg1283049 date=1348753469]
PIRATES    34
NEDERLAND 27
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point!  Back in Tom Landry's days he made a comment on his TV show one time that at the time struck me as odd.  The host of the show reported a score from a game that was pretty heavily lop-sided.  This segment of the show was when Tom would comment on the results of games around the league that had been played that day.  Anyway, when Tom heard the lop sided score his comment was, "Wow, they (meaning the winner) must have had a great day on defense today."  (I put it in quotations but it was something to that effect.)  And in my infinite football knowledge I thought -"Defense?"  They score all those points and he says how good the defense must have been?  Well, the winning team had 2 pick sixes and a punt returned for TD's along with their REGULAR offensive output.  They had indeed controlled the ball like 45 playing minutes to 15 playing minutes.  I learned a real lesson that day.  When you play the game you pretty much know what to expect from your offense.  No way you go into a game with the idea, well - - we'll score a couple of times on interceptions and we'll throw in a punt return for good measure.  You can't and don't plan on points output from your defense.
[/quote]

Tom was a wise man.  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder