Flag Football - Coaching

chadnevils

I have been involved in youth sports (baseball/football) for 10+ years and never witnessed a coach demoralize a group of 5-6 years as I did this weekend in a Flag Football game. I am not going to identify the team because this is not what this post is about but I witnessed it at the PNG fields this past weekend. Youth sports especially at 5-6 years of age is a time to help kids learn the game and make it fun for them. From the start of the game to the end (even when they were winning) the coach continued to yell and correct his players with no praise what so ever. With STJFL affiliated with USA Football and having to take the courses to be a coach, he sure did not represent STJFL OR USA football in a proper manner. If my son was on the team, I promise there would some words exchanged. Youth sports have really taking a down hill slide the past several years, it seems it more about the winning and the parents. We as coaches and parents really need step back and let these kids have fun and teach them the fundamentals of the game. I promise you the wins will come in due time.

[quote name="ManCub" post="1266775" timestamp="1347301392"]
I have been involved in youth sports (baseball/football) for 10+ years and never witnessed a coach demoralize a group of 5-6 years as I did this weekend in a Flag Football game. I am not going to identify the team because this is not what this post is about but I witnessed it at the PNG fields this past weekend. Youth sports especially at 5-6 years of age is a time to help kids learn the game and make it fun for them. From the start of the game to the end (even when they were winning) the coach continued to yell and correct his players with no praise what so ever. With STJFL affiliated with USA Football and having to take the courses to be a coach, he sure did not represent STJFL OR USA football in a proper manner. If my son was on the team, I promise there would some words exchanged. Youth sports have really taking a down hill slide the past several years, it seems it more about the winning and the parents. We as coaches and parents really need step back and let these kids have fun and teach them the fundamentals of the game. I promise you the wins will come in due time.
[/quote]

I think yelling at the kids, whether winning or losing, makes them better players, better people and eventually better parents.  I always yell at my kids.

Agree, you can yell and correct but you also have to give praise when it is due. Believe me i do not have a voice after a football/baseball game. I have coached 5-6 years in the past and at that age they respond better to praise verses yelling and telling them what they have done wrong. As they advance to the next level (PeeWee/Jr/Sr) and they know more about the game then you step it up a notch. Just saying, I could see the look on the kids faces when the coach was yelling. They really did not know what they were doing wrong, I my opinion it confused them more because they kept making same mistakes.

[quote name="ManCub" post="1266780" timestamp="1347302193"]
Agree, you can yell and correct but you also have to give praise when it is due. Believe me i do not have a voice after a football/baseball game. I have coached 5-6 years in the past and at that age they respond better to praise verses yelling and telling them what they have done wrong. As they advance to the next level (PeeWee/Jr/Sr) and they know more about the game then you step it up a notch. Just saying, I could see the look on the kids faces when the coach was yelling. They really did not know what they were doing wrong, I my opinion it confused them more because they kept making same mistakes.
[/quote]

Dude...I was being facetious...

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1266787" timestamp="1347303472"]
[quote author=ManCub link=topic=102900.msg1266780#msg1266780 date=1347302193]
[/quote]

Dude...I was being [b]facetious[/b]...
[/quote]

annnd the only word in the english language that uses the vowels in order!......

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1266789" timestamp="1347303673"]
[quote author=SmashMouth link=topic=102900.msg1266787#msg1266787 date=1347303472]
[/quote]

[/quote]

annnd the only word in the english language that uses the vowels in order!......
[/quote]

I learned that in the 5th grade...that's hilarious.  Do you think that kids that don't know what facetious means should be yelled at?

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1266795" timestamp="1347304153"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=102900.msg1266789#msg1266789 date=1347303673]
[quote author=SmashMouth link=topic=102900.msg1266787#msg1266787 date=1347303472]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I learned that in the 5th grade...that's hilarious.  Do you think that kids that don't know what facetious means should be yelled at?
[/quote]

;D  yup

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1266777" timestamp="1347301714"]
[quote author=ManCub link=topic=102900.msg1266775#msg1266775 date=1347301392]
[/quote]

I think yelling at the kids, whether winning or losing, makes them better players, better people and eventually better parents.  I always yell at my kids.
[/quote]

LMAO  ;)

[quote name="ManCub" post="1266775" timestamp="1347301392"]
[/quote]
Good post ManCub. I see it waaay to often also.

If it is the coach I believe you are speaking of, you should see him at practice.  My child plays on a different division but we practice on same field.  I call him "Mr. Drill Sarg."  But mind you there are about 6 other men also coaching that same team.  Guess they see nothing wrong with the yelling either.... 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin