Look for Nederland QB Raines to run

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1254285" timestamp="1346289615"]
Sampere broken ankle, Bellow torn ACL both out for the season in the first game of the year not too long ago.......I would rather my QB pass, handoff, and stay healthy but that's just me.  :D
[/quote]And this is why I held my breath everytime Trevin touched the ball Mack.. ;)

Those injuries suffered by those other QB's were probably unavoidable and probably happend in the pocket.  Bellow wasn't a running QB, so I doubt that he got injured running.  With Raines at the helm, I would think Neumann would tell him to learn to slide instead of taking that hard hit.  No shame in that.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1254500" timestamp="1346326293"]
Those injuries suffered by those other QB's were probably unavoidable and probably happend in the pocket.  Bellow wasn't a running QB, so I doubt that he got injured running.  With Raines at the helm, I would think Neumann would tell him to learn to slide instead of taking that hard hit.  No shame in that.
[/quote]Bellow was running broke around the end and got to mid-field where the WOS linebaker was waiting ...And I almost lost my dinner and whiskey..Danny( DAD) was sitting next to me...If you run the spread you got to expect your QB to run every now and then...

[quote name="BaseBow" post="1254503" timestamp="1346326561"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102213.msg1254500#msg1254500 date=1346326293]
[/quote]Bellow was running broke around the end and got to mid-field where the WOS linebaker was waiting ...And I almost lost my dinner and whiskey..Danny( DAD) was sitting next to me...If you run the spread you got to expect your QB to run every now and then...
[/quote]Ok.  I see.  I never saw the play and didn't know.  I just know that Bellow was more of a pocket QB when he was in the gold and black.

[quote name="Baller 93" post="1254572" timestamp="1346334063"]
Nederland has a curse when it comes to senior QBs!!!!
Sampere: broken ankle out for the year
Bellow: torn ACL out for the year
Forney: broken hand missed 4 weeks
[/quote]Tough breaks during those 3 years but for the last 20 I said the senior QB's have been pretty healthy for the most part. I remember Dustin Hood not running much during the regular season then when playoff's hit he took off running. Opens up a whole new dimension when a QB takes off. Most all schools who let em loose have success. Glad to see him get the opt and green light to take off.

If your qb can't or doesn't run the ball out of the spread you lose the added dimension and the very thing that makes the spread a viable offense for some teams. The spread is going to expose the qb to more contact wheather he runs the footbal or not. Dayton had nearly as many qb injuries as Ned suffered 6 or 8 years ago because of their qb carrying the ball out of the spread. I remember Jerry Stewart saying in an interview something about playing quarterback at Dayton was the most dangerous job in football. Dayton still uses the spread and turns the qb loose pretty successfully. Unless you use the spread as a situational formation for passing the ball when needed, and you don't use the quarterback as a runner, imo you are best served to abondon it as an every down style offense. Quarterbacks are still football players and can be taught to run behind their pads like other skill players and to get down or out of bounds to avoid contact and injury. I think Nederland should turn Raines loose to run and believe you will see a much more dynamic and potent offense along with keeping opposing defenses honest. 

Unfotunately, there is a lot of truth to your statement  mypooh. If Raines decides to take off this year he may just be our leading rusher and passer and that may not be a good thing. I do expect the line to start working together soon. How soon is the big question. Until that day let's roll.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83