My Last Act----

MIF04

[b][i]In the beginning…[/i][/b]

There was a little boy who, at age 8, wanted to play baseball.  His dad signed him up to play in the local league where he was such a poor hitter that his coach instructed him to do nothing but bunt every single time he came to the plate.  Ten years later, that little boy [wearing the same jersey # 4 he had worn at age 8] was playing Division I baseball. 

That little boy was not Tim – it was me.  Eventually, I did learn to hit and I had the honor to play for Rice University.  Baseball helped me find a way to success that nothing else has.  I still return to that same ballpark in Alvin, Texas and can stand in the same batter’s box in the same exact place as I did at age 8.  A few years ago, I took Tim there to (literally) stand in my shoes and  pass down the generational torch that only baseball possesses.  Admittedly, Tim has reached heights that far exceed mine…but that generational pull still must be strong:  he, too, has always worn the #4.

It has been a nearly 50-year love affair for me with the greatest game ever played:  baseball.  With these words, I say goodbye to my active role in baseball, both here in Southeast Texas and across the nation.

My ‘baby’ – the Sun Devils – will carry forward under Matt Thompson.  The building (and torch) has been passed to him.  I, of course, wish him (and all of my other and former coaches) the very best, as I do all of my former players.  Remember (always remember) the creed we have followed all of these years:  [i][b]Once a Sun Devil, always a Sun Devil.[/b][/i]

Lastly, my deepest thanks and love to Michelle.  And to Tim, thank you for walking this walk with me and ‘standing in my shoes’.  Here’s to hoping the road goes on forever.  Johnny, here's to hoping you make it back to Miller Stadium (this time in a Brewers uni) and one day, as I did for you, get to buy your son a [i]red [/i]baseball glove.  And Cameron, without you the Sun Devils would have ended 5 long years ago.  What a great ride.  Follow the path to Ole Miss and "Hotty Toddy".

I intend to post again in the near future.  There are a lot of people who deserve mention as do certain accomplishments and milestones.  Thank you for letting me (and us) be a part of your lives.

Thank you Chip for allowing many young men the opportunity to not only become better baseball players, but to become better men. I asked you a question once...." What do you get out of all of this?" You replied,...." One day, I will cross paths with one of these young men in an airport, traveling on business and during our conversation about their career success,family and life,.... we will talk some baseball. Not a man talking to a boy but a man talking to a man about baseball. I want to see these young men succeed in life."

Thanks for all you have done,
Keith Adams

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    telexa
    Newest Member
    telexa