Ready for Hull-Daisetta vs. Hardin Aug 31st VOTE NOW!!

Who wins the season opener between HD and Hardin??  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the season opener between HD and Hardin??

• Hull-Daisetta Bobcats
    • Hardin Hornets
    • Neither

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1236666" timestamp="1342544797"]
Everyone knows that HD has been "down" in recent years. Everyone in Hull-Daisetta expects more and we do have to stop living on our past, and start bringing back that tradition now. That's why I say anything less than 8 wins and a minimum of one playoff win is not really a successful season. As "bad" as HD has been in recent times, they really haven't been that bad.

Over the past 15 years Hull-Daisetta has a record of 94-66 with one playoff victory. That is by NO means great, but it's not just horrible. Coach Barbay and Coach Slack had some success but didn't really get the program back to where it needs to be. Not that it matters since nearly everyone agrees that success is based upon winning playoff games, but just some more food for thought. Here's HD's record over that same period vs. their eight most played/rival schools.

HD vs. Colmesneil    HD leads series 7-1
HD vs. Deweyville    HD leads series 7-2
HD vs. Hardin          HD leads series 6-4
HD vs. West Hardin  HD leads series 10-5
HD vs. Warren        HD leads series 8-2
HD vs. Kountze        HD leads series 5-3
HD vs. Evadale        HD leads series 5-2
HD vs. High Island    HD leads series 7-0

Overall HD leads the series vs. these most common opponents 55-19. Not saying that any of these schools are great programs either, but they are the schools closest in enrollment and location to Hull-Daisetta.
[/quote]
Everyone agrees that HD is generally better than the teams listed. But every team listed is among the most pathetic in the state. That has been a general theme of most of these posts. HD is the best of a horrible bunch of teams. This is why HD can not win a playoff game. And I understand that they cant help who is in their district but HD is only slightly better than the rest and not nearly as good as the teams in superior districts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="89falcon" post="1236763" timestamp="1342554503"]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=100975.msg1236666#msg1236666 date=1342544797]
Everyone knows that HD has been "down" in recent years. Everyone in Hull-Daisetta expects more and we do have to stop living on our past, and start bringing back that tradition now. That's why I say anything less than 8 wins and a minimum of one playoff win is not really a successful season. As "bad" as HD has been in recent times, they really haven't been that bad.

Over the past 15 years Hull-Daisetta has a record of 94-66 with one playoff victory. That is by NO means great, but it's not just horrible. Coach Barbay and Coach Slack had some success but didn't really get the program back to where it needs to be. Not that it matters since nearly everyone agrees that success is based upon winning playoff games, but just some more food for thought. Here's HD's record over that same period vs. their eight most played/rival schools.

Overall HD leads the series vs. these most common opponents 55-19. Not saying that any of these schools are great programs either, but they are the schools closest in enrollment and location to Hull-Daisetta.
[/quote]
Everyone agrees that HD is generally better than the teams listed. But every team listed is among the most pathetic in the state. That has been a general theme of most of these posts. HD is the best of a horrible bunch of teams. This is why HD can not win a playoff game. And I understand that they cant help who is in their district but HD is only slightly better than the rest and not nearly as good as the teams in superior districts.
[/quote]

I understand and agree with some of what you are saying. On the other hand, not sure what Hull-Daisetta can do about any of this. The 8 schools I listed are the local 1A schools in the area that HD plays regularly. (WH, HI, Evadale, Colmesneil). I also listed the 4 2A schools that are average at best 2A teams (Hardin, Warren, Kountze, and Deweyville). There's two problems that keep HD from playing more highly talented teams in pre-district.

1. There's just no great 1A teams in the area. HD could schedule some good 1A teams in pre-district, but the driving distance (both HD going on the road, or those teams coming to HD) would add up too much. Fans will travel, but not all season long. Travel expenses become an issue for this size of school. Below is a list the "good" 1A teams that are in the closest vicinity to Hull-Daisetta and the distance in miles of how far away they are.

Tenaha - 151 miles
Grapeland - 132 miles
Alto - 129 miles
Mart - 192 miles
Timpson - 147 miles
Ganado - 145 miles
San Augustine - 132 miles
Big Sandy - 200 miles

As you can see, that doesn't make for a good travel for either team for a pre-district game. HD is playing Groveton (92 miles), Lovelady (101 miles) and Normangee (142 miles) away this year.

2. Problem number two is that any of the good 2A schools or average 3A schools don't want to schedule Hull-Daisetta. Not that they are scared of HD, it's just that they feel that they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. HD has played 3A Tarkington and Huntington in recent years and HD won those game but those are two VERY weak 3A's who are just looking for a win. Take for instance Liberty. The Panthers would be great preparation for Hull-Daisetta and what they'd see size and speed in the playoffs against the Mart's and Alto's of the 1A playoffs. Problem is, Liberty has nothing to gain. If they go out and crush HD, they didn't get anything out of it.... whoooa big deal Liberty beat a 1A team. On the flip side, if HD beats Liberty, that's crushing to that program because a playoff level 3A team lost to a 1A school. Nothing to gain. That goes for Liberty, Anahauc, East Chambers, Newton, Kirbyville, Cleveland, and the rest of the local good 2A teams and average 3A teams.

So HD is just stuck playing the teams that are available locally that we can get scheduled. We can't pick our district, but we are also very limited on teams we can play in our pre-district schedule as well. Just wanted to share that information in case you weren't aware.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1237044" timestamp="1342617085"]
[quote author=89falcon link=topic=100975.msg1236763#msg1236763 date=1342554503]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=100975.msg1236666#msg1236666 date=1342544797]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I understand and agree with some of what you are saying. On the other hand, not sure what Hull-Daisetta can do about any of this. The 8 schools I listed are the local 1A schools in the area that HD plays regularly. (WH, HI, Evadale, Colmesneil). I also listed the 4 2A schools that are average at best 2A teams (Hardin, Warren, Kountze, and Deweyville). There's two problems that keep HD from playing more highly talented teams in pre-district.

1. There's just no great 1A teams in the area. HD could schedule some good 1A teams in pre-district, but the driving distance (both HD going on the road, or those teams coming to HD) would add up too much. Fans will travel, but not all season long. Travel expenses become an issue for this size of school. Below is a list the "good" 1A teams that are in the closest vicinity to Hull-Daisetta and the distance in miles of how far away they are.

Tenaha - 151 miles
Grapeland - 132 miles
Alto - 129 miles
Mart - 192 miles
Timpson - 147 miles
Ganado - 145 miles
San Augustine - 132 miles
Big Sandy - 200 miles

As you can see, that doesn't make for a good travel for either team for a pre-district game. HD is playing Groveton (92 miles), Lovelady (101 miles) and Normangee (142 miles) away this year.

2. Problem number two is that any of the good 2A schools or average 3A schools don't want to schedule Hull-Daisetta. Not that they are scared of HD, it's just that they feel that they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. HD has played 3A Tarkington and Huntington in recent years and HD won those game but those are two VERY weak 3A's who are just looking for a win. Take for instance Liberty. The Panthers would be great preparation for Hull-Daisetta and what they'd see size and speed in the playoffs against the Mart's and Alto's of the 1A playoffs. Problem is, Liberty has nothing to gain. If they go out and crush HD, they didn't get anything out of it.... whoooa big deal Liberty beat a 1A team. On the flip side, if HD beats Liberty, that's crushing to that program because a playoff level 3A team lost to a 1A school. Nothing to gain. That goes for Liberty, Anahauc, East Chambers, Newton, Kirbyville, Cleveland, and the rest of the local good 2A teams and average 3A teams.

So HD is just stuck playing the teams that are available locally that we can get scheduled. We can't pick our district, but we are also very limited on teams we can play in our pre-district schedule as well. Just wanted to share that information in case you weren't aware.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you said. I think that what incites the people outside of HD is that we perceive some of the HD fans as being boastfull about having a good record against those teams.

Being from Lovelady, I really hope HD does well this year.  I don't know how many kids they lost from last year's team, but they had a few kids who were pretty good athletes and they competed well against us for the most part.  If what I've read is true and they have a larger group of kids coming out to play this fall it should only help them.

It takes three things to make deep playoff runs: good athletes, a coaching staff that plays to the strengths of the players they have, and hard work.  You can be successful with just two of those three, but to be elite you have to have all three. 

Lovelady was a down program for a long time.  Over the past few years we've had some great athletes and a coaching staff that knew how to use them and we've had a good program.  We've had the opportunity to play some of the best 1A teams in the state.  We beat Mart in Mart in '09 and if I'm not mistaken that is Coach Nail's only home loss to a 1A team.  We lost a heartbreaker to Cayuga that same year in the playoffs.  We've played the Altos and Garrisons.  In short, we've seen a lot of very talented teams the past few years and they all had great athletes that were well-coached.  I know what state-championship caliber teams look like.  IMO, HD has had some good athletes the past few seasons, but not enough to seriously challenge the upper-echelon 1A teams.  Maybe this year will be better for you folks.

On a side note, you may stand a chance against Lovelady this year.  Our enrollment has dropped from 185 kids to about 135 the past two years so we're dropping down to 1A-D2.  I think we only have about 23 kids out for football, so it's possible we'll be down a little this year.  I don't think we'll have enough to seriously challenge for a deep run, but of those 23 kids we have some very good ones.  We'll see.  Best of luck to you folks. 

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1237368" timestamp="1342661842"]
Just proud of our tradition. The pride, honor and tradition of H-D football= special. Wearing the red and black, under the friday night lights, in the cool Daisetta night air. So many memories, lining up next to HDBobcat9.
[/quote]

That is what it's all about 55. Great times, wonderful memories, and life long lessons. Gotta keep it going!!

ThirdnLong, thanks for the kind words and support. You make some great points that are all dead on. I think Coach Finney and his staff will be two keys moving forward at HD. He knows how utilize all the talent he has. He's also instilling a work ethic that had been lacking for years. Good luck to the Lovelady Lions in DII this year. Wish y'all the best and see ya on the field Sept. 21st. Should be a great game!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder