MLB Draft Thread

3 pitchers selected and Appel is still on the board.  Signability must be an issue even in this draft that pretty much has a cap on the amount each pick can get.

Is it really worth it to hire Scott Boras as your agent?  Seems to me like he is costing Appel money. 

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1228506" timestamp="1338856852"]
http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/03/16/scouting-report-carlos-correa-ss/
[/quote]

This is what bothers me about this pick.  The Astros need help immediately and he seems to be many years away. 

[b]Relative Risk[/b]: High. Extremely raw hitting ability needs to develop for the rest of his offensive game to be relevant. Very young and inexperienced with a huge gap between present ability and future potential.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1228507" timestamp="1338857234"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100371.msg1228506#msg1228506 date=1338856852]
[/quote]

This is what bothers me about this pick.  The Astros need help immediately and he seems to be many years away. 

[b]Relative Risk[/b]: High. Extremely raw hitting ability needs to develop for the rest of his offensive game to be relevant. Very young and inexperienced with a huge gap between present ability and future potential.
[/quote]

Exactly! High School players are too big a risk for the Astros to take this early. Appel was as close to a sure front of the rotation guy as you can get. New owner, new GM, same old Astros :'(

Current or former Sun Devils taken in the 1st round:

#9 -- Andrew Heeney LHP to Marlins
#12 - Gavin Cecchini SS to Mets
#26 - Stryker Trahan C to D-backs
#30 - Ty Hensley RHP to Yankees

1 team, 1 round, 4 picks....awfully proud for this young men. 

[quote name="MIF04" post="1228520" timestamp="1338864914"]
Current or former Sun Devils taken in the 1st round:

#9 -- Andrew Heeney LHP to Marlins
#12 - Gavin Cecchini SS to Mets
#26 - Stryker Trahan C to D-backs
#30 - Ty Hensley RHP to Yankees

1 team, 1 round, 4 picks....awfully proud for this young men.
[/quote]

Wow, great day

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1228507" timestamp="1338857234"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100371.msg1228506#msg1228506 date=1338856852]
[/quote]
[b]This is what bothers me about this pick.  The Astros need help immediately and he seems to be many years away[/b]. 
[/quote]

Really? Immediate help for what? You really think one college kid is going to make a 40 win impact in one season? One of the reasons Appel fell like he did is because he is not a top of the rotation pitcher. Appel struggled at times at Stanford. This is why this draft is so difficult. There is no bonnifide #1 or even #2 and no sure fire can't miss prospects.

Every thing I have read on Correa projects a quick riser through the system with a potential MLB date of 2014 which would mean he will have just turned 20 years old.

My personal oppinion is that the Stros should work the trade deadlines for more prooven (in the MiLB) young pitching and stick to drafting the best available athletes in the draft. Stephen Strassburg doesn't come along every year and even he has had his issues.

[quote name="badndn" post="1228536" timestamp="1338901874"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=100371.msg1228507#msg1228507 date=1338857234]
[/quote]
[b]This is what bothers me about this pick.  The Astros need help immediately and he seems to be many years away[/b]. 
[/quote]

Really? Immediate help for what? You really think one college kid is going to make a 40 win impact in one season? One of the reasons Appel fell like he did is because he is not a top of the rotation pitcher. Appel struggled at times at Stanford. This is why this draft is so difficult. There is no bonnifide #1 or even #2 and no sure fire can't miss prospects.

Every thing I have read on Correa projects a quick riser through the system with a potential MLB date of 2014 which would mean he will have just turned 20 years old.

My personal oppinion is that the Stros should work the trade deadlines for more prooven (in the MiLB) young pitching and stick to drafting the best available athletes in the draft. Stephen Strassburg doesn't come along every year and even he has had his issues.
[/quote]

They have more than 1 pick in this draft.  If they can get 3 or 4 guys that are close, then they can make up 40 games with the young team they have together now.  I hope as much as anyone that this guy pans out, but I have just read a lot that says he is way too risky. 

This may all be a moot point anyways with the move to the AL next year.  The Stros may be taking their lumps for years to come anyways. 

[quote name="badndn" post="1228536" timestamp="1338901874"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=100371.msg1228507#msg1228507 date=1338857234]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually you are wrong about Appel. He was considered the best collegiate pitcher by a wide margin.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/03/12/draft-scouting-report-mark-appel-rhp/

He is the only pitcher in this draft that projects to have 3 60 or better pitches, and he has the highest command and control projections of any  pitcher in this draft. Appel is as close to a front of the rotation guy as your going to find in most drafts. He was clearly the most talented and safest pick. The only reason Appel dropped is because Scott Boras is his agent and most teams weren't sure if he was going to sign for slot money. Correa was picked because he had upside and was willing to sign for under slot money.

Buxton and Correa had the biggest upside of the draft and that's what people get caught up in, but you know everyone said Tim Beckham was going to be the next A-Rod when he came out 5 years ago and we all know how that worked out.

Bottoms line is the Astros can not afford to miss on first round picks especially when they have the #1 pick. That is why they should've taken the safe pick in Appel who you know is going to be future #1 type of pitcher instea of taking the superstar or bust type player. I just hope Correa doesn't become then next in a long line of projected high school superstars that never pan out.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1228575" timestamp="1338907721"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=100371.msg1228536#msg1228536 date=1338901874]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

They have more than 1 pick in this draft.  If they can get 3 or 4 guys that are close, then they can make up 40 games with the young team they have together now.  I hope as much as anyone that this guy pans out, but I have just read a lot that says he is way too risky. 

This may all be a moot point anyways with the move to the AL next year.  The Stros may be taking their lumps for years to come anyways.
[/quote]
The MLB Draft is not like the NFL Draft. The players picked in the MLB draft will have no imidiate impact on there teams. Most will not be in the MLB until 2016, 2015 at the earliest and a few in 2014. You might have two or three who get called up in 2013, but I would be shocked if any of this years draft get 2013 call ups.

Info on Appel, "The problem is that hitters seem to square up Appel's stuff more than they should given its quality and velocity, likely the result of an arm action that's so clean that it lacks deception; he also needs to show he can work down in the zone on a consistent basis rather than leaving all three pitches up in the zone"

This is the guy that was tabbed as the top pitching prospect that would be MLB ready quickest?? Looks to me like he is at best 2 years away and even then may be no better than a #2 starter. Not what I want out of the #1 pick in the draft and looks to me like the guys that spend their entire life scouting these guys agreed cause he dropped down to 8th (which is worth a shot on a future #2).

[quote name="badndn" post="1228586" timestamp="1338908913"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=100371.msg1228575#msg1228575 date=1338907721]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=100371.msg1228536#msg1228536 date=1338901874]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The MLB Draft is not like the NFL Draft. The players picked in the MLB draft will have no imidiate impact on there teams. Most will not be in the MLB until 2016, 2015 at the earliest and a few in 2014. You might have two or three who get called up in 2013, but I would be shocked if any of this years draft get 2013 call ups.

Info on Appel, "The problem is that hitters seem to square up Appel's stuff more than they should given its quality and velocity, likely the result of an arm action that's so clean that it lacks deception; he also needs to show he can work down in the zone on a consistent basis rather than leaving all three pitches up in the zone"

This is the guy that was tabbed as the top pitching prospect that would be MLB ready quickest?? Looks to me like he is at best 2 years away and even then may be no better than a #2 starter. Not what I want out of the #1 pick in the draft and looks to me like the guys that spend their entire life scouting these guys agreed cause he dropped down to 8th (which is worth a shot on a future #2).
[/quote]

What are you talking about? Every player in the drafts has problems. The problems Appel had were just much smaller than other players. Appel is definitely projected to be a #1 type guy.

Correa on the other had grades a 20 on current hitting ablity and a 30 on current power ability. " Extremely raw hitting ability needs to develop for the rest of his offensive game to be relevant. Very young and inexperienced with a huge gap between present ability and future potential". Correa is a project, Appel would've been a better pick.

I have faith in Lunhow. His draft history is outstanding. I have no reason to doubt him at this point.

I guess the question is which would you rather have in 5 years?

A very good 22 year old deffensive SS who hits around .300 and 25+ HRs or possibly a very good deffensive 3B who hits .300 and 35+HRs (if he fills out)

or

A #1 starter that goes every 5th day.

I would rather take a flyer on an everyday guy myself. Because we all know that the MLB draft is a crapshoot.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    telexa
    Newest Member
    telexa