Liberty Coaching

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BringThePain" post="1231085" timestamp="1339978902"]
I am well aware of the reasons he left initially, hence why I was shocked when I heard he was going back.  Is he a teacher?  Elementary PE?  What is he going to be doing at Liberty? 

Futhermore, I am surprised he couldn't get an assistant job with one of the schools in the surrounding area.  The guy is a good coach, just wasn't ready for the position the HDISD board put him in when they hired him at HD.  Sitting out a few years doing anything but coaching isn't getting him ready to be a HFC/AD again someday.
[/quote] Right now sitting around unemployed wouldnt be a good thing either,for him or his family.There are alot teachers out there unemployed that still should be teaching.He is a decent coach and it was unfortunate why he left Liberty the first time.He will be at the Middle School doing a great job there.Will he get back to coaching football?Only time will tell.He is still relatively young so I think that it will be more than likely.

[quote name="LP2012" post="1231113" timestamp="1339988567"]
What has slack done? He'd didn't make playoffs in a 5 team district. No disrespect towards slack he is a great guy but he is to inexperienced. As to what you were saying about deel I will admit he has made some mistakes, but the yer before last he took a group of seniors who didnt win a game from 7th to there sophomore year and got 3rd in district. Now that is not a huge accomplishment, but to take a group of kids who have never won 3 games in one season an get third than that is good coaching during season and off season. Yes they did not beat anybody worth anything this year, but it was an improvement. You cannot seriously expect a coach to come into a program that was getting 3 wins a season and start beating everybody in the first few years
[/quote]  He has been here more than a few years.He has had the talent to go farther than he has.The talent Liberty has had over the past three years should have taken them two or three deep into the playoffs.Its not the talents fault.You cant blame Stewart just like you cant blame Bush any longer for Obama's failures.I remember when I was a little kid and watching Kenneth Skidmore go into Barbers Hill.He beat up on everyone in his few years including then #7 state ranked Liberty.It can be done.

Deel has done a good job. The team has improved every single year he has been here That is all you can ask of a coach. Give Deel some time and i believe that he will make the Liberty program very strong. The worst thing you can do is get a new coach every 4 or 5 years the players need consistency in any program.

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1231179" timestamp="1340029949"]
[quote author=LP2012 link=topic=100264.msg1231113#msg1231113 date=1339988567]
What has slack done? He'd didn't make playoffs in a 5 team district. No disrespect towards slack he is a great guy but he is to inexperienced. As to what you were saying about deel I will admit he has made some mistakes, but the yer before last he took a group of seniors who didnt win a game from 7th to there sophomore year and got 3rd in district. Now that is not a huge accomplishment, but to take a group of kids who have never won 3 games in one season an get third than that is good coaching during season and off season. Yes they did not beat anybody worth anything this year, but it was an improvement. You cannot seriously expect a coach to come into a program that was getting 3 wins a season and start beating everybody in the first few years
[/quote]  He has been here more than a few years.He has had the talent to go farther than he has.The talent Liberty has had over the past three years should have taken them two or three deep into the playoffs.Its not the talents fault.You cant blame Stewart just like you cant blame Bush any longer for Obama's failures.I remember when I was a little kid and watching Kenneth Skidmore go into Barbers Hill.He beat up on everyone in his few years including then #7 state ranked Liberty.It can be done.
[/quote]

I think people are over valuing Liberty's talent level. Sure they had some nice offensive skill players, but they had very little on the defensive side of the ball. It doesn't matter who the coach is if you only have talent on one side your not going three rounds deep.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1231223" timestamp="1340039747"]
[quote author=TexasMinuteman link=topic=100264.msg1231179#msg1231179 date=1340029949]
[quote author=LP2012 link=topic=100264.msg1231113#msg1231113 date=1339988567]
[/quote]

I think people are over valuing Liberty's talent level. Sure they had some nice offensive skill players, but they had very little on the defensive side of the ball. It doesn't matter who the coach is if you only have talent on one side your not going three rounds deep.
[/quote]
They do in fact have talent on defense, last year we didn't get to see a healthy defense from liberty. Injuries hurt their defense last year, hopefully they stay healthy. I think all those sophomores & juniors from last year will do a better job this year, only time will tell though.

Now that its confirmed that the 'Big Fitz' is leaving Liberty to go play elsewhere.What do you think the reasoning behind this is? The kind of numbers he put up was worthy of at least honorable mention on the all district team.Unfortunatly Deel is not respected by the other coaches in the district because of how he treated former Liberty coaches that are respected by them.Therefore he could get the votes.  If Daniel was my offspring I'd move him also.

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1231434" timestamp="1340124405"]
Now that its confirmed that the 'Big Fitz' is leaving Liberty to go play elsewhere.What do you think the reasoning behind this is? The kind of numbers he put up was worthy of at least honorable mention on the all district team.Unfortunatly Deel is not respected by the other coaches in the district because of how he treated former Liberty coaches that are respected by them.Therefore he could get the votes.  If Daniel was my offspring I'd move him also.
[/quote]
Daniel did get hm this year and the year before he made the all district team. Also it is not uncommon for new ads to come in and "clean shop". Also if coach deel was as disrespected as you say why did jake vaught Ryan Melton, Luis Hernandez Randol wiggins Jon Lacefield and Denton Orand among others all make the all district team. The reasons the fitzwaters gave for leaving are that they are moving closer to their daughter who attends Louisiana tech. Not because of deel if that was the case there are alot of closer places that they could move instead of switching states

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1231434" timestamp="1340124405"]
[/quote]
Unfortunately there were much better QBs in the district more deserving of all-district.

Oh come on, we all know how All-District voting works...Its all about who won district, whose daddy is who, and who wants what job later on....

I'm suprised Slack is back at Liberty. That is just plain shocking. He coached at the middle school when I was there. Actually, his first year was my 8th grade year if I remember correctly. Anyways, he was a great coach. I learned a lot from him. He  is the kind of coach Liberty needs at a middle school. He would be a good QB coach or RB coach at a HS as well.

I liked Coach Stewart a little bit more than Deel. Deel has turned mulitiple programs around from 0 win seasons. That being said, every school he has been at has had a lot more talent than Liberty. Liberty hasn't a lot of talent. If any of you remember the 04 05 06 teams, you remember that they has a little talent and a whole lot of work ethic and that still only got them to the 1st rounds of playoffs (that being said, at the time 21-3a was a powerhouse.) Deel has his work cut out for him...

[quote name="LP2012" post="1231479" timestamp="1340134170"]
[quote author=TexasMinuteman link=topic=100264.msg1231434#msg1231434 date=1340124405]
[/quote]
Daniel did get hm this year and the year before he made the all district team. Also it is not uncommon for new ads to come in and "clean shop". Also if coach deel was as disrespected as you say why did jake vaught Ryan Melton, Luis Hernandez Randol wiggins Jon Lacefield and Denton Orand among others all make the all district team. The reasons the fitzwaters gave for leaving are that they are moving closer to their daughter who attends Louisiana tech. Not because of deel if that was the case there are alot of closer places that they could move instead of switching states
[/quote] I was told he didnt make HM,and only speculated about reason for moving,but what a stated about the respect part still stands.Barbay will run up the score up on him if Liberty cant stop him.The other coaches arent going to not vote for deserving player.Fitzwater deserved HM no more no less.

[quote name="lp4life" post="1231610" timestamp="1340156183"]
HM. 1st or 2nd team, at the end of the day the college programs could care less. They don't care what you did in high school. They look at speed, size, and strength. And at the end of the day if they think you can play they will offer.
[/quote]
I agree, and also at the end of the day none cares about whether or not your QB goes to college, only that he won or lost and made the playoffs or did not make the playoffs.

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1231581" timestamp="1340151936"]
[quote author=LP2012 link=topic=100264.msg1231479#msg1231479 date=1340134170]
[quote author=TexasMinuteman link=topic=100264.msg1231434#msg1231434 date=1340124405]
[/quote]
[/quote] I was told he didnt make HM,and only speculated about reason for moving,but what a stated about the respect part still stands.Barbay will run up the score up on him if Liberty cant stop him.The other coaches arent going to not vote for deserving player.Fitzwater deserved HM no more no less.
[/quote]
Coldspring ran the score up bc we could not stop them, not because of some imagined anti deel brotherhood. I have personally seen Barbay and Dell have friendly conversations at various sporting events. 

[quote name="89falcon" post="1231615" timestamp="1340156999"]
[quote author=lp4life link=topic=100264.msg1231610#msg1231610 date=1340156183]
HM. 1st or 2nd team, at the end of the day the college programs could care less. They don't care what you did in high school. They look at speed, size, and strength. And at the end of the day if they think you can play they will offer.
[/quote]
I agree, and also at the end of the day none cares about whether or not your QB goes to college, only that he won or lost and made the playoffs or did not make the playoffs.
[/quote]
You can not blame a season on one player. Huffman has better supporting roles than liberty does Fitz was a great QB on an average team, where as Townleyt was a better than average qb on an above average team.

[quote name="LP2012" post="1231738" timestamp="1340210693"]
[quote author=89falcon link=topic=100264.msg1231615#msg1231615 date=1340156999]
[/quote]
[/quote]
You can not blame a season on one player. Huffman has better supporting roles than liberty does Fitz was a great QB on an average team, where as Townleyt was a better than average qb on an above average team.
[/quote]

Fitz's stats in district
93-143 65% 1641 16td 4int

Townley's stats in district
142-212 67% 1728 21td 6int

That along with Huffman making the playoffs is why Townley was AD and Fitz was HM.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1231745" timestamp="1340212182"]
[quote author=LP2012 link=topic=100264.msg1231738#msg1231738 date=1340210693]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Fitz's stats in district

That along with Huffman making the playoffs is why Townley was AD and Fitz was HM.
[/quote]

Townley had a better completion % (close); Townley had more yardage (again, close); the TD to Int ratio is also very close:  so where is the argument that Fitz should have been selected ahead of Townley?

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1231747" timestamp="1340212515"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100264.msg1231745#msg1231745 date=1340212182]
[quote author=LP2012 link=topic=100264.msg1231738#msg1231738 date=1340210693]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Fitz's stats in district

[/quote]

Townley had a better completion % (close); Townley had more yardage (again, close); the TD to Int ratio is also very close:  so where is the argument that Fitz should have been selected ahead of Townley?
[/quote]

There isn't one. Some of the Liberty fans feel that because Fitz is the better college prospect he should've been first team AD. Well the coaches go by what they see and stats not who the better prospect is.

I guarantee the yards after catch accounted for most of those yards townley got, no knock against the kid (i mean why stop throwing sure catches to your athletes from out of the backfield) but fitz threw the ball down field more often.. Townley also had a better defense (for whatever reasons anybody wants to make up) you also can't knock him for that.. ultimately he was all-district because he lead his team to victories using what works.. point blank period.

You guys need to go watch film... Huffman throws the ball down the field more than most teams in 3A that run the spread... Liberty makes a living on a 5 yard out. Townley had a stronger arm than Fitz, but just because Fitz is 6'5" he's a better 'prospect!'

Speaking of QB's, has anyone seen how much better the Cleveland kid has gotten?

Speaking of Fitz is a dead point, he's gone... BUILT in EXCUSE for Liberty!!!

[quote name="I_Can_Do_It_ALL!" post="1231936" timestamp="1340288930"]
You guys need to go watch film... Huffman throws the ball down the field more than most teams in 3A that run the spread... Liberty makes a living on a 5 yard out. Townley had a stronger arm than Fitz, but just because Fitz is 6'5" he's a better 'prospect!'

Speaking of QB's, has anyone seen how much better the Cleveland kid has gotten?

Speaking of Fitz is a dead point, he's gone... BUILT in EXCUSE for Liberty!!!
[/quote]Helps to be throwing to ex Hull-Daisetta Bobcats Cole and Chase Harrell. Great players!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiaa