Concussions a dangerous problem for high school athletes, too

I think a lot has to do with tackling form. As much as we love the big hit & what it can do physically as much as mentally.. if we see less kids try to get the big hit and wrap up, the defense would see less broken tackles and players would suffer less concussions. (Not forgetting that head contact with the newer turf leads to more concussions than contact natural grass)

Guest ECBucFan
i pleyed footzball n got hitz really hard lotza times, n they made me see teh docktor a bunch n they put me in a big machize n took funny pickturs of muh head n told me i had "drain bamage" and some thing called a koncussion but i kept playin even tho i wuz rellly really dizzy n stuff but i thinks i am as smartz as i ever wuz. Footzball been berry, berry goods to me. 

I know concussions should be taken serious, but when I see on espn how former nfl players are cutting down football and they suggest there kid to not play is bs! You know what you are getting yourself into before you put them pads on. Its a violent game.  I talked to a few dads who have played high school footbal. Some say they do not suggest there kid to play I understand you can get hurt

Then I ask them if you could go back to glory days and play all over again would you?

Why is there never any talk of soccer concussions?  Why aren't there a bunch of ex-boxers who are babbling idiots with all of the concussions they must receive in training and actual fights?  Just wondering how legitimate the actual problem is among athletes and how much is blown out of proportion.  Steroids was the last big topic and prior to that heat illness and prior to that genetic heart conditions.....  All of these are serious problems but they seem to fade from the spotlight after they no longer generate knee jerk reactions from politicians.  Someone made a lot of money on the backs of tax payers providing millions of dollars of steroid testing!

[quote name="Mr.Scofield" post="1226649" timestamp="1338233144"]
I think a lot has to do with tackling form. As much as we love the big hit & what it can do physically as much as mentally.. if we see less kids try to get the big hit and wrap up, the defense would see less broken tackles and players would suffer less concussions. [glow=red,2,300][b](Not forgetting that head contact with the newer turf leads to more concussions than contact natural grass)[/b][/glow][/quote]

Could you show me that study?  I have been on some grass fields that are harder than concrete.

[quote name="shermdog" post="1226746" timestamp="1338296529"]
[quote author=Mr.Scofield link=topic=100178.msg1226649#msg1226649 date=1338233144]
I think a lot has to do with tackling form. As much as we love the big hit & what it can do physically as much as mentally.. if we see less kids try to get the big hit and wrap up, the defense would see less broken tackles and players would suffer less concussions. [glow=red,2,300][b](Not forgetting that head contact with the newer turf leads to more concussions than contact natural grass)[/b][/glow][/quote]

Could you show me that study?  I have been on some grass fields that are harder than concrete.
[/quote]
Dement Field, where North Shore and GP used to play, was like concrete with grass growing thru it.

Concussions in high school are a problem. This year all coaches have to go through a UIL concussion training course.
  However, these former NFL players suing the league about concussions is BS!. You play a sport that basically requires you to bang your head against something repeatedly. What did they think was going to happen? I think the lawsuits will be settled out of court with the players getting better health benefits. Otherwise, the NFL will be sued out existence!

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1226802" timestamp="1338302791"]
  Concussions in high school are a problem. This year all coaches have to go through a UIL concussion training course.
  However, these former NFL players suing the league about concussions is BS!. You play a sport that basically requires you to bang your head against something repeatedly. What did they think was going to happen? I think the lawsuits will be settled out of court with the players getting better health benefits. Otherwise, the NFL will be sued out existence!
[/quote]
In the NFL or even college I think it is a more complex issue, and nothing can be proven one way or the other. If a player actually complained he was hurt and the "team" (coaches, trainers, doctors) all said nothing was wrong the player would have a gripe.

Don't you think older guys that used to work in plants and refineries that have asbestosis or cancer directly linked to their profession have a gripe?

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1226836" timestamp="1338307250"]
[quote author=Titletown2 link=topic=100178.msg1226802#msg1226802 date=1338302791]
[/quote]
In the NFL or even college I think it is a more complex issue, and nothing can be proven one way or the other. If a player actually complained he was hurt and the "team" (coaches, trainers, doctors) all said nothing was wrong the player would have a gripe.

Don't you think older guys that used to work in plants and refineries that have asbestosis or cancer directly linked to their profession have a gripe?
[/quote]

I would say yes the older guys that worked in the plants and refineries have a gripe. They dealt with stuff that was not found out to cause asbestosis or cancer until after years of use. Asbestosis being a prime example. However, in football you know that you will be banging your head into something as part of your job and you should have some expectation, that has to cause some damage. If you are lucky enough to make it to the NFL you will have played football 11-13 years by then, that's a lot of head banging! You put yourself in that position.
I do think the NFL will end up providing health care to the former players. I think it'll be run like medicare and I think the players will have it untill they get on medicare.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1226802" timestamp="1338302791"]
[/quote]

Here is a big point of contention.  With all of the new helmet technology out there and they
(NFL players) still wear the old helmets.  If the NFL was serious, they would outlaw all old shells.  Concussion protocals and old helmets = speaking out of both sides of their mouth. 

When the VSR-4, VSR-2, AF-2, WD-1 came out they were cutting edge technology.  But, there are better systems out there now.  The old revo helmet came out in 2002.  so there is no reason to have not upgraded.

I was told from a industry member that Farves helmet was the original shell he started in the league with.  It was just repainted as he moved around.  Was that really safe. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine