is it time for gilligan to retire???

Guest basketball25

Lamar wins 6-4. Trimm gets out of bases loaded jam in the 9th for the save. LU (9-17, 2-9) SLU (20-8, 7-4)

With todays finals so far.
1. SHSU 9-2
2. NWSt 8-3
3. SLU 7-4
4. McN 6-5
4. NICH 6-5
4. TXST 6-5
7. SFA 5-6
7. UCA 5-6
7. UTA 5-6
10. AMCC 4-7
11. UTSA 3-8
12. LU 2-9

Let's hope the guys can win the series tomorrow.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't thnk anybody disrespects Gilligan..he has been unbelievably good for the university.  But look at the play on the field.  Is this quality baseball?  Is this what it takes to win?  Who is responsible.  One of two things is happening.  either the players arent coached properly, or we have the wrong players.  Who is responsible for that?  The facilities aren't the best...but they aren't the worst by far.  Kids used to come to Lamar because of Gilligan.  Do they now?  I don't have any inside info...I'm just a long-time season ticket buyer, and I see a program that hasn't taken a step back...it's in full throttle reverse.  And the more we lose, the harder recruiting becomes.  what's the answer.  I don't know...but I don't think more of the same is it.  Just my .02 woirth.

Well said, both KingSnake and baseball 25.

No one has disrecpted Coach G's body of work  @SHlyKBMT, what he's done for LU, and on  on and on,

However, I will repeat.....Just because you CAN stay, doesn't mean you should.

Time to retire and let his bird fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest basketball25
nope!! you have to get a good coach to come in!! college baseball has change alot of teams are on the same playing field these days, lamar just needs to pay the coach that they bring in!! im tired of people making excuses for gilligan people need to be realisic here!! bowden stayed 4 yrs to long at fsu a program should have never been  in that situation and now they have to get back into being a great program again!! fsu finally had some balls to make bowden resign because they new the program was going in a direction it shouldnt go, im the biggest fsu fan there is and i was glad that they finally got rid of him, same thing for lamar the program is going in a direction it shouldnt go and its because gilligan being hard headed and wants to go out on his terms and that shows me he only cares about hisself!! he use to be one of the best in college baseball, key word is "use" now hes ruining a program that he built because he wants to go out on his terms!! there are plenty of good college assistants at big time schools that lamar could get so don't tell me lamar can't get someone better than gilligan, just because your good buddies with him doesnt mean you cant be a realist!!

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1204871" timestamp="1333243539"]
OK like I said I won't ever agree with y'all. Four out of the five seasons when Gilligan left the first time Lamar had a losing record and I think the program would be worse off without him just like then.
[/quote] It doesn't mean they'll hire another David Perkins...It's time for a change...The conference only gets tougher with Oral Roberts joining the SLC...

I'm not confident on anyone they would bring in. How long have we had a Interim A.D. for now? After today's 4-1 series clinching win over SLU things are getting tighter in the SLC.

1. SHSU 10-2
2. NWSt 9-3
3. SLU 7-5
3. McN 7-5
5. TXSt 6-6
5. NICH 6-6
5. UTA 6-6
8. UCA 5-7
8. SFA 5-7
8. AMCC 5-7
11. LU 3-9
11. UTSA 3-9

Guest basketball25
lol your satisfied thats what wrong with this whole situation!!! lamar baseball program is regressing!! and its a shame!!

Satisfied??? No I'm realistic and around the team. 7 position players lost from last season. Starting from scratch. I've been around G when he's torn into teams but he's not with this one. More patience and more one on one work being done daily. The guys rallied this weekend and were up for every game. Hope it carries over to Thursday and will always pull for my school. We'll see how things play out but I don't think a new manager will change a lot. Dziedzi is back in the rotation against SFA so maybe things will get rolling.

Guest basketball25
lol realistic what a joke, if your being realistic you would know gilligan needs to hang it up!! just like most of his ex players thinks he should do!! i know your trying to take up for you good buddy and thats a good thing but also be a realist shy!!lamar baseball isn't what it used to be!!

OK whatever like I said I'll keep my opinion. I'm friends with former players that were drafted and still play with some of them in the old men baseball league. They've never bashed the guy. Yes there are some bitter ones out there that didn't like the way they were treated. Even one former player has told me he hated G when he played but now that he looks back he really likes the guy and is very friendly when they see each other. Last year was the first since 2000 LU didn't win 30 games and when people said he was padding his stats and avoiding tough teams they schedule Baylor, Gonzaga, Rice, Washington, LSU, Illinois, Houston etc. despite knowing it could be a rough season against a cupcake schedule.

11 players appeared today.
2 from last year (SOPH Jude Vidrine and SR Jeff Abt)
8 JUCO transfers
1 True Freshman

You will never change your opinion about G and Lamar as a whole I get that but I will be supportive of the school I went to and call it as I see from being close to the program.

Lamar's RPI is now at 127, 6th best in the conference.  They are also 5-4 against top 50 teams, as good as anyone in the conference.  It's been a strange season where they look good one day and just terrible the next, maybe due to all the new players.  We'll see if they have it in them to turn it around for the conference tourney.

Shly- what a joke... Gilligan must pay you good to stick up for him so much. You don't have a clue to what goes on with the Lamar baseball program. Stop making excuses for Gilligan and realize he does nothing but hurt a program that could be great. I know many players who have told other guys being recruited to go othe players because Gilligan isnt worth th headaches. If you think this is good baseball and are satisfied with the product on the field. I feel sorry for you and coould only hope you would expect a better product. Most of the players are junior transfers not a bunch of freshman so these guys have been playing. Lamar got a lucky win on Saturday SELU gave them that game. Get rid of your tunnel vision and see the broader picture. Also remember people aren't just talking about this year but recent years as well. This is one just happens to be the writing on the wall.

Oh yeah Harrington threw well but how many pitches, again?

Really? Guess I'll look for you at practice cause I'm there multiple days of the week. This season isn't the norm for Lamar.

2011 - 29 wins (SLC Tourn. 0-2)
2010 - 35 wins (NCAA Regional) (SLC Tourn. 4-0)
2009 - 38 wins (SLC Tourn. 2-2)
2008 - 35 wins (SLC Tourn. 3-2)
2007 - 34 wins (SLC Tourn. 1-2)
2006 - 35 wins (SLC Tourn. 2-2)
2005 - 38 wins (SLC Tourn. 0-2)
2004 - 41 wins (NCAA Regional)(SLC Tourn. 3-0)
2003 - 40 wins (NCAA Regional)(SLC Tourn. 0-2)
2002 - 36 wins (NCAA Regional)(SLC Tourn. 4-0)
2001 - 37 wins (SLC Tourn. 3-2)
2000 - 27 wins (SLC Tourn. Did not qualify)

As long as the players there are still showing up nd fighting like they did all 3 games this weekend the season isn't a complete wash. As far as they got lucky Saturday you could say they should've won Friday. Also Saturday I have two blown calls on video. The runner called safe on the steal at 3rd then the liner down first that would've been at least a double so Lamar didn't exactly get all the breaks. The CF made a bad decision on a sinkining liner on the grand slam. The series was so tight that either team could have swept. Close to multiple players that have gone on to bigger and better things after Lamar, at the Beck 4 to 5 days a week, covered most of their games for the past 12 years so I would say I know a little about this program.

This reminds me a lot of Augie at UT. Some of their fans are ready to get rid of him with this years slow start and 0-2 showing at the CWS last year. Baseball is different in many ways from the other sports. Football coaches call the plays so when boneheaded things are done it's on them. Baseball has a manager not head coach. He manages the game and there hasn't been a game I've seen a dumb move when he was leading the way or when he was suspended. I have seen multiple errors made, a lack of clutch hitting and injuries. Errors and slumps are on the players not the coaches. This is a huge reason why I like Pat Knight, he says it like it is. Players weren't performing. This society we live in now always wants to blame someone else.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1205388" timestamp="1333403254"]
This reminds me a lot of Augie at UT. Some of their fans are ready to get rid of him with this years slow start and 0-2 showing at the CWS last year. Baseball is different in many ways from the other sports. Football coaches call the plays so when boneheaded things are done it's on them. Baseball has a manager not head coach. He manages the game and there hasn't been a game I've seen a dumb move when he was leading the way or when he was suspended. [b]I have seen multiple errors made, a lack of clutch hitting and injuries. Errors and slumps are on the players not the coaches. This is a huge reason why I like Pat Knight, he says it like it is. Players weren't performing.[/b] This society we live in now always wants to blame someone else.
[/quote]
Based on that argument - no coach should ever get fired.  Despite the fact that the Coach is the one that brought these players that can't perform to the program.  If Pat's players just didn't perform for two or thre years, do you think Pat telling Simmons that it's all on the players is going to save his job?  I don't.

Guest basketball25
2012-          3-9,    rpi 129 and sos 35

2011-CONF 15-18, rpi 125 and sos 130
2010-        16-17, rpi 100 and sos 152
2009-        20-13, rpi 111 and sos 202
2008-        20-10  rpi 112 and sos 191
2007-        20-10  rpi 106 and sos 150

program is getting worse and worse during conference play and also just think if lamar had a SOS they had this yr the last 4 years then they only win maybe 22 games!!! difference between knight and gilligan is these are gilligans players he recruited!!!

Guest basketball25
so shy your telling me your satisfied  going 35-26 and 16-17 in conference and making regionals?  your best non conference game was against rice?  you play pview 2 times, texas southern 2 , houston baptist 2, pan am 2, north dakota st 3 times lol, give me a break thats a 11 wins against teams that are flat out horrible, make those 11 games against halfway descent competition then lamar is sitting at 30-32, lamar lost 7 games against teams rank 200 plus in rpi that year that isn't something to brag about!!! This is the first time in years that gilligan made the schedule tough!! if he had schedule teams like this the last 5 years then lamar would end up with 25 wins a yr and thats not lamar baseball!! Lamar baseball is the seasons with ambort, millar, anthony ipoce, bruce aven and etc you get the gist!!! Let me take that back if lamar would have scheduled teams like this the last 5 years or so then maybe he would have gotten some better recruits to come in the program!!!

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1205418" timestamp="1333406515"]
Fine fire the guy, whatever. Geeze lol the team made regionals two years ago not 20. Wasted enough of my time with this.
[/quote]Why would you as member of the media put your personal opinion out there...anything now reported on your station involving Lamar baseball will be seen as suspect by alot of people....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder