JR. HIGH BASKETBALL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little Cypress Jr. High's 8th grade girls program is loaded with athletes this year. 2006-2007 LCJH girls basketball teams COULD surprise the schools that have walked through this district the last several years. The 7th grade has looked good as well and they are improving each week. The only drawback is that the Jr. High DOES NOT PRACTICE enough! (hint , hint if you're out there Leah)

Orangefield 8th Grade Girls

OF 41 Lumberton 21

OF 62 Mauriceville 6

OF 39 Port Neches 18

OF 51 Silsbee 1

They then played in the Central Middle School Tournament beating Port Neches and East Chambers before losing to Barbers Hill in the championship game.

OF 27 Jasper 24

BH 7th and 8th Girls undefeated. Don't have the 8th grade scores, but 7th has outscored competition 165 to 31 in first three games (Huffman, Crosby and New Caney). 8th girls have a similar winning margin.

Wish they were playing GT teams, much better competition!

Jr high scores are not always an indicator of how good a team is, especially when they are run up by continuing to full court press a vastly inferior team late into the fourth quarter already ahead by an insurmountable margin. What that does do at the jr high level is discourage kids from participating in something they like and can provide them with experiences that would serve them well later in life.

Jr high scores are not always an indicator of how good a team is' date=' especially when they are run up by continuing to full court press a vastly inferior team late into the fourth quarter already ahead by an insurmountable margin. What that does do at the jr high level is discourage kids from participating in something they like and can provide them with experiences that would serve them well later in life.[/quote']

Press it buzzer to buzzer! When you have the athletes why not. Makes the game fun to watch. But a good team can beat the press and then makes you go to a zone. If you cant beat the press than that is indicator of how good your team is!

I agree AirForce84 as far as the scores not always being an indicator of how good a team is. Our 8th grade team usually calls off press on blowouts in the 1st quarter...though sometimes they are already up by over 20 points. Biggest issue is that in these games against inferior teams, many players get lazy with fundamentals and start dribbling too high, reaching in on steals mainly because they can. Playing a team like Orangefield was tough because they were good and the girls had to play more fundamental ball. Last year as 7th graders I think we only had 2 games where the spread was less than 25 points (and that was against HJ another non district team in a tournament).

Junior High scores just shows where a team is at that time and does not always project forward. As some of these inferior teams start catching up athletically and with experience the gap will shrink sometimes. The Orangefields, BH, HJ's, HF and others have 4-6 years of experience before hitting 7th grade, while others may not.

The scores themselves are not the issue. I agree that most teams call off a press after a 20 - 25 pt lead is obtained. That is kind of an unspoken rule among jr high coaches. To combat laziness or bad habits, drop into a man to man defense half court since those principles are necessary for any type zone defense to be effective anyway. Thats how laziness and bad habits are combated. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't know everything nor do I claim to, but in the long term the press to the end mentality hurts your program more than it helps at that level.

The lack of competition if very frustrating. Agree with BH85 that fundamentals really suffer, bad passes etc. Only way to keep those groups sharp is to compete in LD senior leagues and AAU/Primetime tourneys. Thought moving to 4A would help...it has not.

BH 7A I think will be very good in the future, since they have something that we haven't seen much of in years: HEIGHT! 4 girls at 5'10 or better already and have good fundamentals for their post positions.

Little Cypress Jr. High's 8th grade girls program is loaded with athletes this year. 2006-2007 LCJH girls basketball teams COULD surprise the schools that have walked through this district the last several years. The 7th grade has looked good as well and they are improving each week. The only drawback is that the Jr. High DOES NOT PRACTICE enough! (hint ' date=' hint if you're out there Leah)[/quote']

Yes, both 7th and 8th teams are full of great athletes this year and will do quite well. However, I would have to disagree with the practice issue. Coach LeBouef does a great job and uses her practice time efficiently. Also if you knew anything about LCJH's practices you would know that after school is not just when she works the girls. She uses athletic time for working with them as well. The 8th team wouldn't be as good as they are if she wasn't practicing them enough since they have already been in her program a year. Keep up the good work coach and good luck on the rest of the season. Let the bleacher coaches be just that.

bearbacker30,

I apologize; apparently you misinterpreted my comment on practice time for the LCJH girls.

I have absolutely no problem at all with Coach LeBouef's coaching, decision making, or style of play and think the rest of the Jr. High coaching staff does a good job as well. And, I must agree with you that Coach LeBouef does a great job and certainly uses her time effeciently. But, I'm not a bleacher coach without a clue. I have a vested interest in LCJH's past, present and future and fully understand the schools daily schedule as well the basketball teams practice schedule and habits. I simply feel that this group can handle and needs to be pushed more than some of the other classes. My "hint - hint" to Leah was to get her to ask herself the question about practice time from within. She doesn't need to answer to me or anyone else...I just wanted her to ask herself. (she did and responded to me in a PM yesterday).

In the LCM high school gym hang SEVERAL banners from the glory days of the Lady Bears basketball program. On the majority of those banners is the name Leah LeBouef. There has to be a great sense of pride to walk into that gym, see those banners hanging from the rafters and re-live the sweat, sacrifice, and work it took to attain those goals. Those banners didn't come easy then and banners of the future won't either. My point was - -If that's the goal of these young ladies...you can't start pushing too soon.

Thanks Coach LeBouef for what you do for these young athletes and keep up the good work!

Guest coachhooker

to be honest i am kinda of grossed out that we even talk about middle school sports, because i only teach my middle school kids the true value of each game and the fundamentals of each game and how to enjoy them. of course i want to win and i want them to win but i want them to learn about the game and want to play it when they get into high school.

(sorry that is just my personal fellings on middle school sports)

Guest CougarPride

Crosby 7th grade boys have a lot of talent when they get to play. they lost the first two games of the year but after getting 8 players back from grades have won the last two. They have a 6'7 dominating post two 6'2 kids and two very strong gaurds they are the real deal. All of the big men move like gaurds so it is veryhard for teams to run man against them........when they pass their classes

Little Cypress Jr. High's 8th grade girls program is loaded with athletes this year. 2006-2007 LCJH girls basketball teams COULD surprise the schools that have walked through this district the last several years. The 7th grade has looked good as well and they are improving each week. The only drawback is that the Jr. High DOES NOT PRACTICE enough! (hint ' date=' hint if you're out there Leah)[/quote']

Little Dribblers has been huge for Orangefield. It shows at both our high school and jr high levels. This LCM team that is loaded with athletes, lost to Orangefield's 8th grade 49 to 25. Every community should try some sort of program like little dribblers...it really teaches the kids the game and the results, well you can see that for yourself.

Bobkat,

I wish I could find something to disagree with you on.

Orangefield (and Lumberton) have been successful not only because of Little Dribblers, but because their LD's program DOES IT RIGHT! The kids want to be there, they have fun, and they learn the correct fundementals. It's not a community boot camp.

My original post was about how LCJH's 8th grade girls were loaded with athletes...and they are. I'm not backing off that statement one bit. That's why your statement is so valide about the Little Dribblers program. The Orangefield atheletes are not necessarily better athelets, they've just "been there done that" in Little Dribblers. 49 to 25 is not a very close score...but a 24 point victory for any Orangefield girls team is not uncommon is it?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33