German Legend taking over USA Mens Soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jsmity

I like the news, Smity, but I'm a little cautiously optimistic about it. I'm not a Klinsi-hater, but what is his entire body of work? Germany didn't have to qualify for the cup, so he do we really what kind of X's and O's ability he has? The German media hated him for various reasons in the lead-up to the World Cup, too. So do we judge him on six or seven games (ALL played on HOME soil!!!) during a month-long tournament? What color will his designer slacks turn when walks out of the tunnel at Azteca Stadium for the first time?! I really think it will eventually work out, but I have to wonder if we are judging him not on his coaching abilities, but rather on his uber-successful international career as a player.

BTW - THANK YOU for being someone local willing to talk soccer! The guys on BigSoccer tend to be a little cliqueish and snobby. Were you the netminder for The Brook last year?

Yes I was the Netminder for the Brook last year... and I aggree... with you on every aspect of Klinsmen.... BUT!!!... I do think that with his take and perspective on the game, it can only help USA international soccer grow..

P.S. How did you know I played keeper for WB last year???

Exactly... and I see were Bon_Mot is coming from on his take on the job he did with Germany... true he did not have to qualify.. but if you remember all the talk b4 the world cup about how bad Germany was going to do, then you undoubtedly have to give him some credit.. In my oppinion he is a fantastic tactical coach... and I think thats what USA needs.. not technique.. but more TACTICS!!!!!.... Germany played extremely well this World Cup... theres a reason why they played in the consolation game........................................................

ok, here are my thoughts on the not yet hired Kliny...wonderful career as a player. compared to Arena who only had ONE cap :shock:

Arena had success with the US for 8 years but the shambles that was WC2006 was a huge reminder of (in my opinion) a massive ego and lack of ability to make wise choices in player picks and game tactics...example you say---He went for the tie in my opinion with Italy, I know I know we played well but he left possible subs on the bench and a tie meant (and he knew this) that our future was even more in the hands of another team. He should have done everything he could of to get that win...what about in 2002 against Portugal sure we won but it was closer than people want to remember--here is what I remember Jeff Agoos (who played for Arena in college) had an own goal and played poorly most of the game. Arena chooses to keep him in and continued to start him the rest of the tourney (if memory serves me).

Wow that was soapbox rant…point is he has poor evaluation of talent.

Klinsman was hounded by the German media for several issues , probably the biggest was staying in the US and not starting Kahn. Not starting Kahn seemed to work out ok. Bon_Mot has a point with the dream run of the German team in 2006 in that really is Klinsmans resume…but im excited to see what he brings to the table and see who thinks our best 11 are…

I'll agree with you there. I'll take Klinsmann over Arena now (especially since it seems as if he lost the respect of his team). You made me cringe bringing Agoos back up, though! At times Arena was loyal to a fault.

But still, The Bruce was a major upgrade over Sampson! And that's what I want now: marked improvement of the overall program. I just hope this isn't a move to get the USMNT in the media more, since they have a somewhat recognizeable figurehead now (if the move is indeed true).

I used to think about how awesome it would be if soccer were level with the Big Three sports in media attention. Now, I really don't care that my neighbors don't know the difference between Manchester United and DC United. I just want the US to be respected world-wide. Not just hated in CONCACAF. I like the move the MLS made with the "home-grown talent" rule, but to play with the big boys, we need more Bradenton Academies. Maybe Klinsi's pull can make this happen.

There have never been more Americans playing in quality leagues across the globe than now, and next year will be a awesome test for the USMNT with the Gold Cup and Copa America (I think?). I just hope Gulatti knows what he's doing .

I love it! This is the guy that I wanted all along. Solid coach. He has the respect of the MLS guys with what he's done at Chivas USA. He's bound to have a good rapport with the younger guys since his son is one of them. He is well aware of the difficulties ahead since the domestic league is not in line with the rest of FIFA. Keep it American! WOW! Now I'm excited.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder