Vidor - Crosby, Thursday at Lamar, 7:30

BWOOD

As to the 3-3-5, I will defer to your knowledge of the team.  I have not seen all the Crosby games, but I do not remember coming out of this Defense.  And interestingly, it could be quite the curveball for Vidor.  Lately, we have been looking at 5 and 6 man (or more) fronts. 

As to the Kicking Game, I appreciate your feedback.  Of the games I saw,  WTH would be a good description.  Our special teams play has not been spectacular this year.  It seems like it has been solid but very few big plays either way.

On the blocking scheme, it did seem effective when I saw it.  The LBs were not blowing up the plays at the LOS very often. 

I also agree that you run the ball more than you pass.  And your QB is very effective running the ball.  But I saw some Big Homerun passing plays for yall!  Vidor DBs better not fall asleep.

Vidor's offense is quite unique.  And when it is run right, it can be very frustrating for the Defense.  And this has been a good year for the Pirate offense.  But it is no secret that 2 of our RBs are not healthy.  Only time will tell, how much they will play and how effective their replacements will be on the Big Stage.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the outcome, I think you are right about the Early Lead being very important. 

I think there could be a lot of points scored by both teams.

I know this is cliche to say, but I predict the game comes down to Turnovers.  Whoever gives the ball is way will have a hard time rebounding.

[quote name="daddy23" post="1108735" timestamp="1320757452"]
As to the 3-3-5, I will defer to your knowledge of the team.  I have not seen all the Crosby games, but I do not remember coming out of this Defense.  And interestingly, it could be quite the curveball for Vidor.  Lately, we have been looking at 5 and 6 man (or more) fronts. 

As to the Kicking Game, I appreciate your feedback.  Of the games I saw,  WTH would be a good description.  Our special teams play has not been spectacular this year.  It seems like it has been solid but very few big plays either way.

On the blocking scheme, it did seem effective when I saw it.  The LBs were not blowing up the plays at the LOS very often. 

I also agree that you run the ball more than you pass.  And your QB is very effective running the ball.  But I saw some Big Homerun passing plays for yall!  Vidor DBs better not fall asleep.

Vidor's offense is quite unique.  And when it is run right, it can be very frustrating for the Defense.  And this has been a good year for the Pirate offense.  But it is no secret that 2 of our RBs are not healthy.  Only time will tell, how much they will play and how effective their replacements will be on the Big Stage.
[/quote]

The Pirate offensive line has been the key to our success all year. Our blocking execution reminds me of PNG back in the 70s; not real big but quick and no blown assignments. I don't think I've ever seen Vidor execute as well on offense in my 30+ years of watching them. Personally, I believe we can plug any of our running backs into this system and they will do well, like Jeremy Stephenson. All year long we have controlled the ball and the clock. We just need to keep it up come Thursday and the Pirates will do just fine....NO TURNOVERS! Watch out for Montana to pull back and heave one down the field to Smith, Whitmire or Powell. Crosby might lose a jock strap on that one if they're not careful....

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1108360" timestamp="1320714821"]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=91011.msg1108357#msg1108357 date=1320714752]
Why was this game scheduled for a Thursday? I do not understand what advantage either team would gain by playing with a short week of practice.
[/quote]
I am wondering the same thing. But i bet it had something to do with getting a neutral place that was close and getting it on a day it wasn't already taken.
[/quote]

Because Nederland is playing at Lamar Friday night, Ozen plays at Da Butch Friday and PNG plays at Da Butch on Saturday.  I personally think there should have been an early game and a late game Saturday so that no team had to play on Thursday.

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1109051" timestamp="1320777830"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=91011.msg1108360#msg1108360 date=1320714821]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=91011.msg1108357#msg1108357 date=1320714752]
Why was this game scheduled for a Thursday? I do not understand what advantage either team would gain by playing with a short week of practice.
[/quote]
I am wondering the same thing. But i bet it had something to do with getting a neutral place that was close and getting it on a day it wasn't already taken.
[/quote]

Because Nederland is playing at Lamar Friday night, Ozen plays at Da Butch Friday and PNG plays at Da Butch on Saturday.  I personally think there should have been an early game and a late game Saturday so that no team had to play on Thursday.
[/quote]
Westbrook plays @ Da Butch. Ozen goes to the hill.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1109086" timestamp="1320779468"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=91011.msg1109051#msg1109051 date=1320777830]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=91011.msg1108360#msg1108360 date=1320714821]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Westbrook plays @ Da Butch. Ozen goes to the hill.

Ahhhhh, that's right, forgot about WB!!
[/quote]

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="indianforever" post="1109124" timestamp="1320781014"]
will they be selling tickets at the gate..i sure would like to go and help cheer vidor on?
[/quote]
Yes i believe they will be.

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="1109016" timestamp="1320775849"]
The 3-3-5 works when the DL can command double teams.  If not, things get dicey.
[/quote]

47 commands and beats double teams regularly, corner stone to our defense, also 46 seems to take up defenders by pressing the whole.

1 Question about the vidor offense... Your misdirection that you point out, does it involve the use of back fakes.

Like for example FB gets a fake followed by handoff to opposite side, or is it a counter variant offense. Where everyone fakes one way then goes the other?

Guest blackflag
[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1109748" timestamp="1320811507"]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=91011.msg1109016#msg1109016 date=1320775849]
The 3-3-5 works when the DL can command double teams.  If not, things get dicey.
[/quote]

47 commands and beats double teams regularly, corner stone to our defense, also 46 seems to take up defenders by pressing the whole.

1 Question about the vidor offense... Your misdirection that you point out, does it involve the use of back fakes.

Like for example FB gets a fake followed by handoff to opposite side, or is it a counter variant offense. Where everyone fakes one way then goes the other?
[/quote]

Its actually a shotgun-T / read option . ;)

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1109748" timestamp="1320811507"]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=91011.msg1109016#msg1109016 date=1320775849]
[/quote]

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7WmvswaKaY

If you are interested, I found the above 5 minute highlight video.  It is obviously not our team, but you will get the basic idea of the offense.

I am a Vidor fan, so it will come as no surprise that I hope your players take 3 or 4 quarters to figure it out.  ;)

But I have seen your team on film this year.  Crosby is a really good team that is coming off a Huge win.  I expect a dogfight.

[quote name="daddy23" post="1110070" timestamp="1320875064"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=91011.msg1109748#msg1109748 date=1320811507]
[/quote]

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7WmvswaKaY

If you are interested, I found the above 5 minute highlight video.  It is obviously not our team, but you will get the basic idea of the offense.

I am a Vidor fan, so it will come as no surprise that I hope your players take 3 or 4 quarters to figure it out.  ;)

But I have seen your team on film this year.  Crosby is a really good team that is coming off a Huge win.  I expect a dogfight.
[/quote]
Wow. That's some great video there. Did you notice it played the same song that was played at Matt's funeral. That made it even better.

oh and btw did you see that block at 0:50! Man what a block!

Guest Cap Rock Brewing Co.
Paul Pewitt is always a good deep east Texas team. The thing about them is they usually have at least as many athletes as opposing teams. I saw kids running away from defenses.

This is what hurts Vidor a little. They actually do have some decent speed, but they don't have the big homerun hitters that teams like Omaha Pewitt have had. But Vidor sounds like they execute well and play sound defense so I expect a slobberknocker as well.

[quote name="vp32" post="1110164" timestamp="1320879651"]
[quote author=CCfan2011 link=topic=91011.msg1110160#msg1110160 date=1320879408]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac1Oc7jwmBU

I know dayton won this game. but watch that cougar offense.
[/quote]
more like watch that cougar defense give an early 14 to 0 lead.  8)
[/quote]

http://www.click2houston.com/video/29694490/index.html

well then watch that. Coogs beat the number 10 team in 4A just last friday.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder