WORDS FROM DAN HOOKS

skipper

Guest Bridge City Card

Well i was there and when you have it 4 inches from the Goal line to tie the game up and you are in a Shot gun and not lined up under center that's just pitiful playcalling. Hooks agrees as weel as he said in the paper. OC may resign next week is the latest word.

Well i was there and when you have it 4 inches from the Goal line to tie the game up and you are in a Shot gun and not lined up under center that's just pitiful playcalling. Hooks agrees as weel as he said in the paper. OC may resign next week is the latest word.

As well the OC should. but Mustang fans are tired year after year of this man chokin in big games with his play calling. Hooks has to take criticizm for this and this is why he has been gettin critisizm. You are the head coach and is allowing this stuff to go on. When he saw that play call of putting the Qb in shot gun with inches away from the goal line...he should have over ruled that, but he didn't, he let him do it three more times, so the blame has to go to him mostly. This team was too talented for their season to end like this. I think Silsbee applied more pressure than this team. It wasn't the pressure, it was the confusion that you could see that the players had with these plays. I don't know how many times the play clock was running out and the players had to rush because they had to keep looking towards the sideline waiting for the play to come in. That's the reason Bevil missed the extra point. They had him forever on the sideline tring to help him change his shoe then he had to rush out just to get the kick off in time. This kind of thing shouldn't happen. People might think all of this is harsh, but it's the truth. People want to know why you don't see as many Wo-s fans at games really gettin into the games anymore? because they are tired of this outcome when it shouldn't be this way. They know somewhere down the road in a big game, the Oc is gonna make horrible playcalls and ruin the game...it has happened for the past three years. Our coaches made Giddings look a whole lot better than they were. Once again being out coached.

Guest Bridge City Card

As well the OC should. but Mustang fans are tired year after year of this man chokin in big games with his play calling. Hooks has to take criticizm for this and this is why he has been gettin critisizm. You are the head coach and is allowing this stuff to go on. When he saw that play call of putting the Qb in shot gun with inches away from the goal line...he should have over ruled that' date=' but he didn't, he let him do it three more times, so the blame has to go to him mostly. This team was too talented for their season to end like this. I think Silsbee applied more pressure than this team. It wasn't the pressure, it was the confusion that you could see that the players had with these plays. I don't know how many times the play clock was running out and the players had to rush because they had to keep looking towards the sideline waiting for the play to come in. That's the reason Bevil missed the extra point. They had him forever on the sideline tring to help him change his shoe then he had to rush out just to get the kick off in time. This kind of thing shouldn't happen. People might think all of this is harsh, but it's the truth. People want to know why you don't see as many Wo-s fans at games really gettin into the games anymore? because they are tired of this outcome when it shouldn't be this way. They know somewhere down the road in a big game, the Oc is gonna make horrible playcalls and ruin the game...it has happened for the past three years. Our coaches made Giddings look a whole lot better than they were. Once again being out coached.[/quote'] Well said. I've spoken with ALOT of people that feel the same way. I think WOS was 2 TD's better than Giddings.

Guest Bridge City Card

Dude, were you at the game? COMMON SENSE! I was in the stands where you can see. Inside the 1 NO team goes from the Shotgun and call reverse plays. I've talked to ALOT of people since Friday about this, use your head.

It's my 1st time to see WOS this year, to me they were not 2 TD's better than Giddings. Could they have beaten Giddings, yes.

Giddings won the game in the trenches. They were beating the Stangs on both sides of the ball.

I really thought #2 Rhodes, should have been more involved in the offense, he's dangerous. Maybe that would have given Earl some type of a break.

Guest Kelly Football

I also was at the game. Same Giddings team as last year. Even though WO-S didn't win or win by 14 they were better than Giddings. What about the pass play where Thomas was wide open. He over threw him, that was a TD and then the bad play calling on the inch line, that was another TD. WOS by 14. :D I'm sure Hooks will fixing the Play calling problem before next season's post season rolls around.

Guest GoStangs

Tam, I agree with most of your post, but we called a timeout before the missed PAT and it wasn't rushed because he was changing his shoe. The miss was caused primarily by a high snap.

As far as the shotgun on the goal line, that just made no sense and probably never will -- we did it twice unnecessarily (on 2nd and 3rd down), and the last time we were pretty much forced to run from that formation to throw the ball since we had been backed up to the 5. If you have over a 6 foot tall QB and 3 shots to get 6 inches, you don't run out of the shotgun on second and third down. You have three chances with a QB sneak to get less than a football's length of forward progress, and my bet is at least one of those times you get in. That series will never make sense to me.

Some of you WOS people might tell me to mind my own, but isn't that the same OC that had you undefeated 'till the Giddings game? When you have athletic QBs and RBs like WOS has year after year, I see no problem with the spread on the goal line. Please tell me the advantage of being under center as opposed to the spread, except for a QB keeper, which is absolutely not a guarantee either. He went with what got him there. Just my humble opinion....that and .50 cents might get you a cup of coffee.

Guest GoStangs

You have 3 shots from 6 inches with a QB keeper. From the spread at that distance, especially with the problems we were having snapping the ball, it makes no sense. The spread is not our only formation, and we blew it by not putting the QB under center to either sneak it or hand it off. So as to follow the board rules, I won't say anything about the OC...

6 inches from the goal line!!!!!! Come on Baddog.

Hey, I'm trying. I have seen lots, and I mean lots of QB keepers come up short or even lose yardage. The snap is often mishandled on a quick snap play like the keeper. Had he tried the keeper and failed, then he would be questioned for not going from the spread. I still say he went with what got him there. I truly don't think he coached to lose that game.

One of my favorite plays close to the goal line (inside the 10) is to roll the QB outside with the option to pass or run it in himself. It's unbelievable how many times the TE or RB out of the backfield can be open on this play. Even Drew Bledsoe (concrete feet) has scored on this play by taking it in himself.

Guest GoStangs

I was wondering why they never put Earl at qb for at least one series.He needed the ball in his hands more.He is so determined he would have opened the offence up.

They used Earl at QB once in the 3rd quarter, and the snap rolled back to him. He picked it up in the end zone and was tackled at about the 2. We ended up punting from our end zone after that play. I don't think he should've played QB for an entire series, though.

They also used Jacoby at QB twice -- once they ran him on a 3rd or 4th and 5, and he was short, and the other time, he ran the reverse to Earl on 4th and 2, which ended up in a large loss.

#1 Giddings (WAS NOT) Better Than WO-S Friday Night I Know You Are Going To Tell Me Just Look Who Is Sitting Home And Who Is Still Playing I Can Live With That Part My Friend. My Sister Is From Giddings And A BIG TIME FAN As She Told Me After The Game NO ONE THIS YEAR Has Been Able To Stop Them Like WO-S Did Friday She Said Thanks For The Gift . I Thought I Was Dreaming When I Saw Them Go Into The Spred On The 1 Yard Line Thats A NO NO As Old As I Am I Think I Might Have Made That One lol lol lol .If You Saw The WO-S Silsbee Game And Saw How Big And Fast The Tigers Were But The Mustangs Found away To Get 1 Yard You Might Ask Yourself Why The Spred On The 1. As For The Other Things That Happned To WO-S Friday Night We As Mustang Fans Still Are Shakeing Our Heads Good Luck Giddings Hope To See You Next Year

Hey, I'm trying. I have seen lots, and I mean lots of QB keepers come up short or even lose yardage. The snap is often mishandled on a quick snap play like the keeper. Had he tried the keeper and failed, then he would be questioned for not going from the spread. I still say he went with what got him there. I truly don't think he coached to lose that game.

What you don't get is that they lined up in SHOTGUN and STILL RAN A QB KEEPER! It's not like they used your logic. They ran the keeper, but from five yards back instead of from the six inch line!

In answer to your earlier question, yes, this is the OC we've had all year, but many of our big plays have been busted plays that were rescued and turned into miracles by great athletes - which is what GOT us to the six inch line.

Thanks man. I'm really not trying to PO anybody, just playing devil's advocate. I have qustioned our play calling from time to time, and I have seen it on other teams as well. Teams can be successful doing a certain thing all the way down the field. Then when in the red zone, all of a sudden change their strategy. I'm a firm believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type mentality. If your spread is successful for 99 yards and 30", then it seems it should work for 6".

If he ran the keeper from the shotgun, then that is a QB draw, which is usually very effective because the safeties can't bunch the LOS due to coverage. It also give your QB a chance to find a hole.

I'll let this go because I know this kind of loss is hard to take. I just hate to see it all put on one coach, player, or play.

Baddog, the safeties are all in the box at the goal-line there is hardly any reason to worry about getting beat. With the field being "shortened", there is a ton of folks breathing down on the line of scrimmage. Snap it and lunge forward. Elementary.......

Yes, this is a VERY hard loss to take because I KNOW the better team did not win. Period. Not being a sore loser - it's just obvious.....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder