Running Up The Score

BADSANTA

How do you feel?   

96 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel?

• Poor Sportsmanship
    • Do it becuse they will do same to you in basketball?

[quote name="kf89" post="1084466" timestamp="1318722456"]
no team getting their butts kicked wants the other team to ease up & stop playing hard, if they do their playing football for the wrong reason.people that cry about running up the score just give their players an excuse to start crying with them.football isnt for the classy kind hearted folk anyway.
[/quote]

I agree, I always thought it was MORE embarassing for the other team to stop playing hard than actually getting blown out. How can you ask a kid who finds himself suddenly able to score to run out of bounds who maybe will never get the opportunity again? ON a football field if you don't like it play harder and stop it.

It is up to the defense to stop the offense from scoring. If you have your 2nd or 3rd team in and scoring, that's on the defense. Also, if your offense is the spread, why with the 2nd team would you go under center and run between the tackles, how does that help your backups get better?
However, if your running reverses, flee-flickers and things like that, then, yeah, that would be uncalled for.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="1084908" timestamp="1318777113"]
You can control the game 2nd / 3rd string / play calling but any kid on da field should be expected to go 100%. I have seen alot of injuries when kids are half steppin cause of a big lead.
[/quote]I agree with the 100% effort. When BH gets up in the 3rd or 4th coach Gage starts substituting 2nd and 3rd string players. I am somewhat sad to see my son pulled from the game but I am happy for those backups to play. It makes most everyone happy and helps the jr's and soph's gain experience for next yr. It is especially gratifying to see 2nd string seniors get to play. Now, having said that, if the 2nd string scores, so be it. Thats football.

[/quote]

I'd tend to agree with you...I've never understood why the kids who put in the same kind of hard work and committment (as the 1st or 2nd stringers) are expected to give less than their best when it comes time for them to take the field and have their moment to shine in front of friends and family...

One of the many lessons athletics can teach a player is how to deal with adversity...What do you do when everything that you've practiced and trained for goes exactly opposite of what you had hoped? Do you roll over and give up or do you continue to play hard and practice a little harder in hopes of getting better?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone being bigger, stronger or faster than you during a competition...It's a mere fact of life..We're not all the same...Our differences are what makes each of us unique..

Another lesson learned in athletics is that sometimes your absolute best IS NOT going to be good enough and that's just how life is...Sometimes you'll do your absolute best and things will still not turn out the way you want...The key will then become how you chose to deal with the setback and if you will choose to continue to give your best when it might be easier to do otherwise...

Life certainly doesn't slow down or let up just because you might personally be in a bad place or time...

Sometimes I think we may actually being doing our youth somewhat of a injustice by trying to control exactly at what point it is and isn't ok do to your absolute best...If you choose to play a sport you have to know that it's a possibility (that if you run into someone alot better than you) that the score and game might get out of control....I don't think there is anything wrong with getting blown out by a much better team if you're giving your absolute best...Stuff happens...
[/quote]

Thes may be greatest post of all time. This was the reason we played games. To learn valuable life lessons. I agree, we are creating kids(eventually adults) that can't or wont be able to handle life's problems. This post should balance our -/+. You have hit it on the head.

[quote name="DesertStorm" post="1086015" timestamp="1318868342"]

[/quote]

I'd tend to agree with you...I've never understood why the kids who put in the same kind of hard work and committment (as the 1st or 2nd stringers) are expected to give less than their best when it comes time for them to take the field and have their moment to shine in front of friends and family...

One of the many lessons athletics can teach a player is how to deal with adversity...What do you do when everything that you've practiced and trained for goes exactly opposite of what you had hoped? Do you roll over and give up or do you continue to play hard and practice a little harder in hopes of getting better?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone being bigger, stronger or faster than you during a competition...It's a mere fact of life..We're not all the same...Our differences are what makes each of us unique..

Another lesson learned in athletics is that sometimes your absolute best IS NOT going to be good enough and that's just how life is...Sometimes you'll do your absolute best and things will still not turn out the way you want...The key will then become how you chose to deal with the setback and if you will choose to continue to give your best when it might be easier to do otherwise...

Life certainly doesn't slow down or let up just because you might personally be in a bad place or time...

Sometimes I think we may actually being doing our youth somewhat of a injustice by trying to control exactly at what point it is and isn't ok do to your absolute best...If you choose to play a sport you have to know that it's a possibility (that if you run into someone alot better than you) that the score and game might get out of control....I don't think there is anything wrong with getting blown out by a much better team if you're giving your absolute best...Stuff happens...
[/quote]

Thes may be greatest post of all time. This was the reason we played games. To learn valuable life lessons. I agree, we are creating kids(eventually adults) that can't or wont be able to handle life's problems. This post should balance our -/+. You have hit it on the head.
[/quote]  I agree ... well said  :)

Your starters need at least half the reps in the game or they can't improve.
In high school, I would keep the starters in the first half and the opening possession of the third quarter and go 110%.  Put in the reserves (which at some schools isn't that much or that much of a drop off).  Run the ball between the tackles, but if the 2nd string scores SO BE IT.  All kids should be taught to play at 100% speed.  As previously stated, if you slow up, that is when you get hurt.

Didn't read through all the posts but is this really a question? I'm sorry but if you can't stop my offense, that's your problem. I'm not going to leave starters in, but that's not for your sake because I'm going to call plays that will give my backups a chance to put some points up. It's football! if you get your feelings hurt because another team keeps pounding you, then you should play golf or tennis. This whole sportsmanship thing is garbage. Keep me from scoring if you don't like it!

Usually a team tries to score points plus keep the other team from scoring.  So what is the difference between scoring a lot of points (some say Running Up The Score) or not allowing the other team to score?  Why is one consider wrong by some people but not allowing the other team to score OK?  If not scoring points against a team makes the losing team feel better why not let them score so they can feel better?  Is a shutout wrong? 

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Just because you can, should you? Does it make you a better person or athlete if you score all you can against an inferior opponent? No, it doesn't. Do you improve as a team running the score up on an easy opponent? No, you don't improve. You get better by playing against quality opponents and having to work at beating them. The second and third string may benefit some if they have to work at scoring, if they don't, same answer. You only get better by playing against equal or better talent. Running up the score doesn't help anything, if it is done solely because you can. Of course if you don't know the difference between being a winner and being a bully, this discussion is moot. Thanks for the clarification.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1093750" timestamp="1319554442"]
I think a lot of you are missing the point. Just because you can, should you? Does it make you a better person or athlete if you score all you can against an inferior opponent? No, it doesn't. Do you improve as a team running the score up on an easy opponent? No, you don't improve. You get better by playing against quality opponents and having to work at beating them. The second and third string may benefit some if they have to work at scoring, if they don't, same answer. You only get better by playing against equal or better talent. Running up the score doesn't help anything, if it is done solely because you can. Of course if you don't know the difference between being a winner and being a bully, this discussion is[size=10pt][b] mute[/b][/size].
[/quote]

The word is actually [b]moot[/b].  In your usage, it means insignificant or of no real importance.  [b]Mute[/b], on the other hand, means one who is unable to speak.  Thought I would shed some light on the subject.

I have mixed emotions on this. Been on the losing end of some of those lopped side losses, but recently had to consider another point of view. If it is late in the season and teams you are playing are not really good when you get a lead and put in the second team or JV players then you are taking your players who will need to be sharp for the playoffs out of the game.

Coaches will talk about reps. The average high school game offenses get between 45 to 60 snaps. If your team is winning then you could be looking at half to 3/4 of the snaps being taken by your first team. If you have a good team then your starters get as little as one game in two blow outs. That could really hurt you in the playoffs especially if your division has three teams which means that a district champ will have a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

Also when second team guys or JV players get in the game then they want to prove themselves, so they are running hard, making plays and are up against players that are tired from playing the entire game up against fresh legs. Those players will whatever they can to score, impress the coaches and run up the score in the process.

I agree with an earlier comment, about calling time outs and things that are out of the ordinary in order to score, but if you continue to run inside the tackles and the other team can't stop you then what are you to do. If you intercept passes and run them back for TD's. If you return punts for scores what are you suposed to do?...Take a knee starting once you get up by 21 or 35 or 42. What number is enough to start saying you won?

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="1093768" timestamp="1319555485"]
I have mixed emotions on this. Been on the losing end of some of those lopped side losses, but recently had to consider another point of view. If it is late in the season and teams you are playing are not really good when you get a lead and put in the second team or JV players then you are taking your players who will need to be sharp for the playoffs out of the game.

Coaches will talk about reps. The average high school game offenses get between 45 to 60 snaps. If your team is winning then you could be looking at half to 3/4 of the snaps being taken by your first team. If you have a good team then your starters get as little as one game in two blow outs. That could really hurt you in the playoffs especially if your division has three teams which means that a district champ will have a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

Also when second team guys or JV players get in the game then they want to prove themselves, so they are running hard, making plays and are up against players that are tired from playing the entire game up against fresh legs. Those players will whatever they can to score, impress the coaches and run up the score in the process.

I agree with an earlier comment, about calling time outs and things that are out of the ordinary in order to score, but if you continue to run inside the tackles and the other team can't stop you then what are you to do. If you intercept passes and run them back for TD's. If you return punts for scores what are you suposed to do?...Take a knee starting once you get up by 21 or 35 or 42. What number is enough to start saying you won?
[/quote]

Only if it's less than 2 minutes would I take a knee.  Everything else, I agree with in your post.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics