Baytown Sterling vs. La Porte Game Thread/La Porte Wins!

WOSgrad

Sterling D played as good on 3rd down as they did on 1st and 2nd.  We will see if that was just because of LaPorte mistakes or if they are pulling it together.  The D (unlike the offense) gave the crowd something to be excited about.  Did BH offense look this bad when they first put in this?

No BH didnt look as bad. IMHO BH has to run a gimmick offense because they dont have the athletes to win otherwise. Sterling on the other hand has some really good players are the lower levels that would excel in open spaces with one on one opportunities. One of the freshman has already been moved up to varsity and is playing RB. I hope that the ones left at the lower levels stick with it, I am hearing again lots of grumblings about the offense from kids and parents alike.

[quote name="LP0175" post="1086647" timestamp="1318908251"]
Didn't Sterling run a "spread" Shotgun offense last year??? What was their record?
[/quote]

Yes but their prob last year was no defense....the offense could score but they allowed like 40 points a game....looks like the new coach has switched the problem around...hopefully he gets the offense fixed

[quote name="sahen" post="1086659" timestamp="1318910309"]
[quote author=LP0175 link=topic=89860.msg1086647#msg1086647 date=1318908251]
Didn't Sterling run a "spread" Shotgun offense last year??? What was their record?
[/quote]

Yes but their prob last year was no defense....the offense could score but they allowed like 40 points a game....looks like the new coach has switched the problem around...hopefully he gets the offense fixed
[/quote]

In short: the results are the same. Ok.

No one wants to run the offense so IMO its not going to work due to sabotage. Sad that anyone would want to throw a season away to "prove something".

I dont think anyone is intentionally trying to do anything, I just dont think what he is trying to do fits the best with players he has. Last year with just 3 players, nelson, gibson and mixon, the offense scored a lot of points but would lose 50-48. This year there is no question the defense is better, but what is the difference in losing 14-13 vs 50-48 except atleast 50-48 the game is actually exciting for the kids and fans. Why not combine the best of both worlds and have the explosive offense and better defense?

BTW, how did #11 look for sterling running the ball? He is a freshman and I believe is playing fullback.

#11 is playing HB.  He did alright and had a good run to get the ball inside the 1 following the hail mary on 3rd and 30.

I hope the players and parents buy into the system or we are going to have a lot of bad boring football.  I have heard the grumblings as well around town and not just at the Sterling games.  Seems as though everyone from youth football, JR high and highschool are down and not very excited about their kids playing at Sterling or Lee for that matter.

We have to have the players and parents behind this and willing to participate and do the work or we will fail.  The coach is set up to fail and it doesnt matter how good the system is or could be if they are not supportive.

Years of losing followed by a boring offense doesn't create excitement for the program.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1087656" timestamp="1319041479"]
#11 is playing HB.  He did alright and had a good run to get the ball inside the 1 following the hail mary on 3rd and 30.

I hope the players and parents buy into the system or we are going to have a lot of bad boring football.  I have heard the grumblings as well around town and not just at the Sterling games.  Seems as though everyone from youth football, JR high and highschool are down and not very excited about their kids playing at Sterling or Lee for that matter.

We have to have the players and parents behind this and willing to participate and do the work or we will fail.  The coach is set up to fail and it doesnt matter how good the system is or could be if they are not supportive.

Years of losing followed by a boring offense doesn't create excitement for the program.
[/quote]

The "West Coast Offense" was sooooo successful at RSS.

Nope not successful in taking them to the playoffs more than once.  I am not saying this offense won't be successful.  I am sure it could be as it is with BH.  BH has everyone buying into the system.  Is that because they had already had years of decent football and were just ready for a change and were going to back whoever they brought in and whatever system they would use?

I don't know the answer here.  There has to be excitement for the program from the players and parents or this coach is set up to fail without really getting a fair shot.  Maybe the years of losing has soured everyone's commitment to RSS football.  And now a boring offense?  Hopefully they get it turned around.  Aduddell is fighting an uphill battle.

Its hard to run a passing offense when you have a QB with no arm.    We can argue schemes again but the more I here the grumblings the more I'm realizing some parents and fans don't know what success is.  Its not inherited, its earned. A new scheme or coach is not going to grant success but the work and support of the players and parents, fans, and community.

I agree with what you said 100%. Again that is why I blame GCCISD for hiring him, it really wasnt fair to him or the kids knowing the system he wanted to bring in. 

The losing has changed peoples attitudes from where they believe it can be changed to we will just move to north shore or dayton. No one believes so no one is willing to stick it out because people have stuck it out for 20 years without any success. I wish GCCISD would have allowed OLIN to come over because the track record was there, he wanted a challenge and I think people would have bought into it.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1087669" timestamp="1319042679"]
Nope not successful in taking them to the playoffs more than once.  I am not saying this offense won't be successful.  I am sure it could be as it is with BH.  BH has everyone buying into the system.  Is that because they had already had years of decent football and were just ready for a change and were going to back whoever they brought in and whatever system they would use?

I don't know the answer here.  There has to be excitement for the program from the players and parents or this coach is set up to fail without really getting a fair shot.  Maybe the years of losing has soured everyone's commitment to RSS football.  And now a boring offense?  Hopefully they get it turned around.  Aduddell is fighting an uphill battle.
[/quote]

I agree the current QB has no arm and to me is too small anyway..but an article in the paper a while back the coach was touting how good he was going to be...could be, but one shot from the giants at North Shore or PAM and then what?

LP you just dont understand how bad its been at sterling and for so long....this year started with some excitement but the Lee game killed it from the get go.

[quote name="LP0175" post="1088015" timestamp="1319075955"]
Its hard to run a passing offense when you have a QB with no arm.    We can argue schemes again but the more I here the grumblings the more I'm realizing some parents and fans don't know what success is.  Its not inherited, its earned. A new scheme or coach is not going to grant success but the work and support of the players and parents, fans, and community.
[/quote]

The little kid at QB is playing there for the first time.  He is really a HB and has no business trying to throw the ball.  I have seen him play before and he can make something happen in the open field.  They had 2 QBs alternating at one time.  Both soph but at least one of them could throw the ball and was big enough that he wouldnt get crushed.  Actually having a threat to throw the ball would loosen up the D and possibly generate excitement instead of all the puzzled looks when the ducks start flying.

[quote name="joebob" post="1086321" timestamp="1318888297"]
No BH didnt look as bad. IMHO BH has to run a gimmick offense because they dont have the athletes to win otherwise. Sterling on the other hand has some really good players are the lower levels that would excel in open spaces with one on one opportunities. One of the freshman has already been moved up to varsity and is playing RB. I hope that the ones left at the lower levels stick with it, I am hearing again lots of grumblings about the offense from kids and parents alike.
[/quote]May you please be ever so humble. I have never heard of a smash mouth, run over and around you when needed, offense referred to as gimmicky. BH runs the flexbone because Coach Gage believes in it after winning two 5-A state championships. It is still working pretty well. The record speaks for itself. BH 7-0, Sterling 0-7.
By the way, I played for Al Dennis in the 70's. We ran the wishbone, then the Houston veer. Finals, Qtr. finals, Qtr. finals, regionals. No one referred to our offenses as gimmicky then. What we do offensively in BH is not much different. It still works if you have the athletes to run it ;D

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1088315" timestamp="1319125576"]
I saw BH jr high run this and from an execution view, they ran it well.  I dont think BH athletes are naturally better than RSS.  But something is happening between youth/JR. High football and high school ball at RSS where there is limited commitment for the program.
[/quote]

Is any RSS feeder jr. high running the offense? I would venture to say no. There is where the problem starts. From birth until they graduate, BH kids run the high school offense/defense schemes. GCCISD has not been like that for a long, long time. The results prove it out.

Last year CBJ ran the spread offense and ran it well. It was a watered down version of what RSS was doing. They were the only true feeder into RSS where everyone is zoned there. I assume they are running the option at CBJ this year but dont know for sure.

And that is true, GCCISD is at a disadvantage compared to other districts in football beause of the way they are zoned trying to even up the demographics.

As for BH, both the CBJ and Gentry squads crushed them last year in 8th grade. The athletes were not, overall, on par with each other. I say gimmick because the option is run by very few teams now even in HS and more so in college. Most defenses get zero practice against it so in that sense it is gimmicky. In the 70's and 80's it was the norm.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1088337" timestamp="1319127380"]
[quote author=ThirdDay link=topic=89860.msg1088315#msg1088315 date=1319125576]
I saw BH jr high run this and from an execution view, they ran it well.  I dont think BH athletes are naturally better than RSS.  But something is happening between youth/JR. High football and high school ball at RSS where there is limited commitment for the program.
[/quote]

Is any RSS feeder jr. high running the offense? I would venture to say no. There is where the problem starts. From birth until they graduate, BH kids run the high school offense/defense schemes. GCCISD has not been like that for a long, long time. The results prove it out.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder