Conroe Oak Ridge vs. Baytown Sterling Game Thread/Oak Ridge wins!

WOSgrad

Guest UHCoog14
I know for a FACT that winning games at Gentry does not translate into wins at high school. My  sons team was loaded at Gentry (lost 1 game in 2 years). They graduated last year with nothing to show for it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch the Navy game tonight?  Much less talent than SC, still ran all up and down the field on them.

Baytown has always had a good history in football.  One of the winningest teams in the history of Texas high school football.

Sterling hasn't been good in a while, but Baytown Lee certainly has had better success than Port Arthur over the last 20 years. ;D

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1059541" timestamp="1316312766"]
Well, playoffs are about matchups.
Seen some state ranked teams go out in round 1 against other state ranked teams. 
Seen some horrible teams, such as New Braunfels, make it to the state semi-finals.
The important part is head to head, and Lee is 7-7 against PA teams in the last 20 years.
[/quote]

And right now, Lee couldn't hold a candle to PAM nor Central or Ozen...  Bottom line, you Geese over there need some students from Sterling so all can play 4A and maybe someone from GCISD can rep Baytown pass the firt round

Guest UHCoog14
The 4a concept  was presented to the school board. It's an easy  fix that would send kids that live in close proximity back to REL. The suggestion was shot down. For some reason  they want to have a 5a school in GCCISD.

Next year would be a perfect time with the expected departure of North Forest. It  would also cut travel expenses for our district by getting  out of Beaumont. It might also bring some interest back to football in Baytown.
The biggest problem is that it makes too much sense.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1059590" timestamp="1316314954"]
The 4a concept  was presented to the school board. It's an easy  fix that would send kids that live in close proximity back to REL. The suggestion was shot down. For some reason  they want to have a 5a school in GCCISD.

Next year would be a perfect time with the expected departure of North Forest. It  would also cut travel expenses for our district by getting  out of Beaumont. It might also bring some interest back to football in Baytown.
[/quote]

Wow....  Maybe they're expecting GCM to move up next realignment.  Other than that, what you said:  It would make perfect sense to move more kids back to Ganderland....

Yeah and right now the Ohio State Buckeyes can't hold a candle to Boise St.
I guess if you want to pick an arbitrary period in time, then ok.

PA was smart enough to realize they were getting the fool beat out of them with 3 high schools.
The bloodbath had to come to an end by combining the three.  Unfortunately, Baytown is not that worried about athletics for that to be a deciding factor.

Of course it doesnt, but it shows the talent is there. It just needs to be coached up. CBJ lost one game in the past two years and that was to Dayton. Gentry lost 3 games with two being to CBJ and one to Dayton. The difference now is the studs from CBJ are now going to school with the studs at Gentry where as Dayton has the same players. This same group scored zero points last 9a game and scored 6 the week before. Of course they scored 41 against lee but CBJ could beat Lee. None of the players at Gentry that made that team went to GCM which is really amazing considering the split high schools they feed into. CBJ is a feeder to RSS so all those kids are there.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1059400" timestamp="1316305995"]
I know for a FACT that winning games at Gentry does not translate into wins at high school. My  sons team was loaded at Gentry (lost 1 game in 2 years). They graduated last year with nothing to show for it.
[/quote]

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Again why I blame GCCISD. It makes perfect since and creates rivalries with all the schools. Those 3 with BH, Dayton, and Crosby would be fun.

On top of it making sense from a football perspective, like you said it saves money and time. That is a rough trip for all sports to travel to beaumont and port arthur. Talk about late nights for baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball etc. If GCCISD cant afford to bus kids that live 2 miles away from their campus to SCHOOL, we sure as hell shouldnt be bussing 60 miles away for sports.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1059590" timestamp="1316314954"]

[/quote]

Could be but atleast it would be local district full of rivalry. Sterling has no business playing North Shore, West Brook or La Porte anymore.

Here is some numbers to ponder as posted in the Baytown sun.
They were outscored 85-41 going into the oak ridge game. They lost to oak ridge 48-7 so now that stands at 133 -48. Total deficit now stands at 85 points  :o

Oak Ridge had given up 147 points in three games good for 49 a game yet RSS managed only a hail mary to Gibson to sore  :o

The Baytown sun reporter took at jab at the coach with this statement. " Gibson may be Sterlings best offensive weapon, but he rarely touches the ball"  The coach then said that the rangers win with defense and they cant worry about jamars stats. How about we just focus on winning period whether its offense ,defense or like that team in arkansas that did an onside kick everytime they could. I'm open to anything at this point lol. If the Rangers dont beat Pasadena this week it will be an O-FER season.

[quote name="LP0175" post="1060206" timestamp="1316392466"]
One more course for Dayton, BH, and Crosby to dine on. GGISD just don't care anymore. Plain and simple. I'm guessing there is no open enrollment @ GCCISD. THEY SHOULD CONSIDER THAT OPTION.
[/quote]

Guest UHCoog14
Unless we know what happens M-Thurs, I say we leave the game decisions to the coaches.

I like what I see off the field. Right now that is more important to me than W's.

I dont disagree with getting rid of the kids that dont have respect, dont come to practice, get in trouble etc...I think he is handling those correctly by having a strict discipline program with basically 3 strikes you are out. Whats crazy is why did it take until now to enforce it? Minyard let the kids run over him with the inmates running the asylum. I do give props to the new guy as he doesnt put up with much BS which should be the case.

As for practice, there are a lot of eyes out there and pretty much everyone is seeing and saying the same thing. At the freshman level the parents not happy which bodes trouble for the future of the program. If you lose these kids, and these are a GOOD group of kids on and off the field, then I dont see how this program will ever get going. Most of these kids are very respectful and many are AP students which should be a coaches dream...but if the kids arent having fun or dont believe A)they quit and focus on basketball, baseball, track etc B)They quit and turn into thugs, C) They move to another school, that is what I am worried about.

I get the impression that the coach cringes every time Gibson makes a play on a pass because it just feeds the parents and kids into wanting to do it more. Ive watched his reaction and you can tell its like raking your nails on a chalkboard for him. Kind of like the rest of us watching fumble after fumble and  1 yard runs into a stacked 10 in the box defense.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1060778" timestamp="1316464618"]
Unless we know what happens M-Thurs, I say we leave the game decisions to the coaches.

I like what I see off the field. Right now that is more important to me than W's.
[/quote]

Just offering a different viewing window: whatever happen to taking pride in your work? The will to make work what is given to you?  I understand that the fans want a sexy offense but if it true that the kids are undiscipline as I'm reading and Coach A has brought in structure then I ask what I really important to RSS?  Most good program have a foundation that win or lose they will uphold it it. I'm not getting that about RSS "supporters".  People who have taking over responibility to rebuilt a piec of crap (car, house, gov. Office, restaruant, vacant lot, etc.) Know its an ugly process to make a swan out of an ugly duckling. 

I believe that he (coach) is doing the right thing by taking the heat he is taking and to be fair he CHOSE. To come to a program that has the support compariable to a large junior high. So I don't thinki he really cares what fair-weather fans think. And I don't
Blame him. So often a coach is ask to be more than a coach to these kids. He has to be a male parental figure, a counsulor, therapist, best friend and so oh(not to mention he still has to perform his teaching duties). 

Just be patient TRUE RSS fans and support YOUR program no matter who is there. 

[quote name="joebob" post="1060914" timestamp="1316479614"]
I dont disagree with getting rid of the kids that dont have respect, dont come to practice, get in trouble etc...I think he is handling those correctly by having a strict discipline program with basically 3 strikes you are out. Whats crazy is why did it take until now to enforce it? Minyard let the kids run over him with the inmates running the asylum. I do give props to the new guy as he doesnt put up with much BS which should be the case.

As for practice, there are a lot of eyes out there and pretty much everyone is seeing and saying the same thing. At the freshman level the parents not happy which bodes trouble for the future of the program. If you lose these kids, and these are a GOOD group of kids on and off the field, then I dont see how this program will ever get going. Most of these kids are very respectful and many are AP students which should be a coaches dream...but if the kids arent having fun or dont believe A)they quit and focus on basketball, baseball, track etc B)They quit and turn into thugs, C) They move to another school, that is what I am worried about.

I get the impression that the coach cringes every time Gibson makes a play on a pass because it just feeds the parents and kids into wanting to do it more. Ive watched his reaction and you can tell its like raking your nails on a chalkboard for him. Kind of like the rest of us watching fumble after fumble and  1 yard runs into a stacked 10 in the box defense.

[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=88371.msg1060778#msg1060778 date=1316464618]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name="LP0175" post="1060206" timestamp="1316392466"]
One more course for Dayton, BH, and Crosby to dine on. GGISD just don't care anymore. Plain and simple. I'm guessing there is no open enrollment @ GCCISD. THEY SHOULD CONSIDER THAT OPTION.
[/quote]

I understand LP is on the uptick now and Lee is horrible, but didn't Lee just kick yalls ass two years in a row in 2008 and 2009? lol

Guest UHCoog14
With the exception of Dayton, GCM has  beaten EVERY team in 19-4A at least once in the first 3 years. They will compete for a  playoff spot  again this year. They have the ability  to beat any team in the district. Ability, however, does not win games.

Sterling is  playing a  5A schedule with  4A  participation numbers. IMO they could compete in 4A.

REL is playing a 4A schedule with 3A participation numbers.

Three high schools did not help at all.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1061000" timestamp="1316485542"]
[quote author=LP0175 link=topic=88371.msg1060206#msg1060206 date=1316392466]
[/quote]

I understand LP is on the uptick now and Lee is horrible, but didn't Lee just kick yalls butt two years in a row in 2008 and 2009? lol
[/quote]

I would have to check with my statician! Lol

I think it has to do with the jr High system.  The schools around us are really training their kids starting in the 7th grade if not earlier.  I can talk in my sons experience it was a joke.  Now when he was a 9th grader it was like being in 7th grade having to relearn all over again.  They have to do something to fix that first where there is some unity.

No doubt qb01.
Heck, most of these good 4A programs have the same system from pee-wee league on up.
I'm sure Angleton and Dayton and the like have had a cohesive, uniform idea of how to coach their players from age 8 on up.

I would venture to guess that 90% of 9th graders at Lee don't have the football acumen of a typical 5th grader from a place that lives and breathes football.  By the time they hit 12th grade they are getting to the level of an 8th grader at Katy.
Some times you get lucky and catch a kid that is a natural or has a dad that really knows football, but one or two kids in a whole class aren't going to get it done.

There are way more kids getting football scholarships to colleges from Baytown Lee than say Barbers Hill, Dayton or Crosby.  Baytown schools, all three of them, have enough athletic talent to compete.  They just all look like a bunch of rag-tag guys that just showed up to learn football yesterday....and that's every game.

True RSS fans ? I think that is an extinct breed...we dont have the old men at the donut shop talking ranger football because the program has been in the toilet for 30 years so no tradition was ever built. The only fans are the parents of the kids, the parents of the band and Stars. You have very few if any people that are just fans and contine to support the program. At Lee yes, Sterling no. I guess that came with being the "new other" school when Lee has been around forever.

LP I am an alum and always will be a Ranger thus why I am passionate about what I am seeing. The problem is, we have heard this same story now for what 30 years? Only coaches I can remember are Stafford, Manley, Terrebone, the guy from San angelo gandy, Minyards boss and then Minyard. Every time its buy into the system, it takes time etc but what do we have to show for it? Nothing. This is why this hire was so important, finally, the talent is there again which is a miracle considering the three high school split, and it seems we have taken a time warp back to the 70's. I dont need a sexy offense, I just want one that works. We are never going to have the beef up front to just impose our will and run it down peoples throats. We need misdirection, we need trickery, we need to spread the field, and use our kids with speed in space.  Kids only get 4 years of the HS experience and if you think about it, how many generations have been wasted learing new systems and giving the adminstators time to put the right guy in place? Its such a waste and its sickening to watch. Especially when you see the programs like Dayton (who built theirs with a former Baytown guy in Jerry Stewart), Katy, North Shore, and to some extent BH.  Like qB1 said, all of those schools have their JR Highs being farm systems and teaching them the basics. In GCCISD, the high school coaches in the past rarely give any thought to the Jr High kids or coaches. The last two years atleast the kids at CBJ learned the spread Sterling was running and had success with it only to have the carpet yanked out from under them.  Out of all the jr highs, it was probably the one that had some resemblance of a system from the high school, but when  paired against pretty even talent against Dayton, the differnece was those kids over there were drilled hard on the system and had a whole nother level of knowledge that was the difference in the game. Those kids from 5th grade up are learing some form of their system while the kids in Baytown are being taught the optimist offense lol.

As for the coach taking heat, well he should. The numbers speak for themselves and he choose to come here. I still cant figure out why you would leave the resources of Clear Lake where your own son was still playing to take on this project. Maybe it was all about the $$$$$$$

As for GCCISD, I blame them for a few reasons. One having three high schools to begin with and then forcing RSS to stay as a 5A. It just isnt right with the numbers they have and I'd like to hear the reasoning on why they choose to do it. Second by not having true feeder programs into the JR Highs which makes it virtually impossible to teach or implement any kind of system.
Third, and maybe its because no one wants the jobs, but the hires have left something to be desired. Manley, Terrebone, Minyard? The new guy at  Lee? The guy at GCM seems decent but like Pats said they have the ability so what is missing?

Bottom line its very frustrating that NONE of the GCCISD programs are doing well and frankly its not acceptable.
[quote name="LP0175" post="1060942" timestamp="1316481612"]
Just offering a different viewing window: whatever happen to taking pride in your work? The will to make work what is given to you?  I understand that the fans want a sexy offense but if it true that the kids are undiscipline as I'm reading and Coach A has brought in structure then I ask what I really important to RSS?  Most good program have a foundation that win or lose they will uphold it it. I'm not getting that about RSS "supporters".  People who have taking over responibility to rebuilt a piec of crap (car, house, gov. Office, restaruant, vacant lot, etc.) Know its an ugly process to make a swan out of an ugly duckling. 

I believe that he (coach) is doing the right thing by taking the heat he is taking and to be fair he CHOSE. To come to a program that has the support compariable to a large junior high. So I don't thinki he really cares what fair-weather fans think. And I don't
Blame him. So often a coach is ask to be more than a coach to these kids. He has to be a male parental figure, a counsulor, therapist, best friend and so oh(not to mention he still has to perform his teaching duties). 

Just be patient TRUE RSS fans and support YOUR program no matter who is there. 

[quote author=joebob link=topic=88371.msg1060914#msg1060914 date=1316479614]

[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=88371.msg1060778#msg1060778 date=1316464618]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

The Jr. High feeder schools are not fully implementing this offense so the kids will be starting fresh in 9th grade.  The skill players are not buying into this system at the high school level.  There is a lack of committment from the players and no real consequences.  Talent is always important.  But, they have kids miss practice and still play.  They have roughly 20 of the 60 kids show up for day after the game workout/film study with no consequences.

This offense requires machine like reactions.  You only get there through study and repetition and we do not have that from most of the players.  I have seen teams with lesser talent beat more talented teams because they had a high level of committment and it showed on the field.

These coaches may talk it but do not walk it consistently.  So a system that requires such dedication coupled with players that are not dedicated and coaches that do not hold kids accountable is going to lead to more years of bad football at RSS.  On top of that, you have coaches that are not putting the ball in play makers hands in the right situations.  Putting a receiver in a RB position or putting a RB in a QB position is tough...they don't think the way the position is supposed to play.

I hope the Jr. High coaches do avoid this offense so that this hire doesnt set us back multiple years once this guys contract is up.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83