Nederland vs. West Orange-Stark Game Thread/Nederland wins!

EKURU

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="#1stangfan" post="1042376" timestamp="1314426712"]
[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=87186.msg1042369#msg1042369 date=1314425002]
[b]As for the officiating, If I was a WOS fan, I could not bring myself to whine about any questionable calls since the last 30 years danny boy has made sure that 90% if the calls go your way. A loss is a loss so man up and accept it for what it is. By the way, My prediction on this game was spot on.[/b][/quote]

Dan was a great coach and I hate that he retired.  I admired his passion for the game however, I do not THINK butI KNOW that his will was not imposed on the refs.  If anything it went the other way.  Had you watched a few WOS games you would know that it is not possible for 90% of the calls to have gone the Mustang's way.  Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game....Ned as always is very disciplined and makes you pay for any mistakes.
[/quote]

I don't have a "dog in this fight" (no pun intended!), but I can tell you with 100% certainty this: I was having a casual conversation with a ref in the Buna high school parking lot one evening. After about 15 minuets of random chit-chat, mostly about officiating, I happened to ask him "so whats the worst part of calling games"? I thought he would say obnoxious fans, etc. However, his face screwed up and with disgust, he said "Dan Hooks". I would recite the rest of the what he said, but it would probably be a violation.   

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1042324" timestamp="1314420463"]
Congrats Ned! Hold your head up Stangs, you played well. There is going to be a bunch of complaining about some calls, I can guarantee, but the bottom line is when we had Ned 3rd and 11 on their own 30. We hit the fullback in the backfield by 2 players but we don't wrap up and he bounces off and goes for 40 yards, then you are leaving it to fate. If we make that tackle, the game is over.

Hard to believe we lost that one.
[/quote]

Great post. We had our chances to close out the game and didn't get it done. Congrats to Nederland. Mustangs will be ok. Great game played by both teams.

[quote name="td" post="1042502" timestamp="1314456082"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=87186.msg1042324#msg1042324 date=1314420463]
Congrats Ned! Hold your head up Stangs, you played well. There is going to be a bunch of complaining about some calls, I can guarantee, but the bottom line is when we had Ned 3rd and 11 on their own 30. We hit the fullback in the backfield by 2 players but we don't wrap up and he bounces off and goes for 40 yards, then you are leaving it to fate. If we make that tackle, the game is over.

Hard to believe we lost that one.
[/quote]

Great post. We had our chances to close out the game and didn't get it done. Congrats to Nederland. Mustangs will be ok. Great game played by both teams.
[/quote]The Stangs are very very fast on both sides of the ball ..They will be fine ...This was a great game to watch..Good Luck Guys

I watched the replay several times as well and I thought he was in, remember it's where the ball is when the but hits the ground and even thow his but hit inside the one yard line the ball was in his right hand which was the side closest to the goal line and from what I saw the ball broke the plane. Remember the ball doesn't have to be in the end zone, if the tip of the ball touches the white it's a score. WOS had the game won but didn't finish it, I'll bet they won't let that happen again.

It was a really good first game of the season and everyone knew WOS would continue to be very tough, but Nederland found out some good things about themselfs last night, namely to never give up. This game will help both teams especially around playoff time.

A couple things from last night's game... First, hats off to Nederland for not quitting. Down 20-7 and after a dismal third quarter, the Bulldogs kept coming at W-OS, and did a great job of getting the ball back with 3:30 left to go in the ballgame. And what a ballsy call to go for the 2-pter and the win versus settling for the tie and overtime. So kudos to Coach Neumann for the testicular fortitude and his players for converting.

Now.... While I was there as strictly as fan of high school football with no rooting interest in either side, the call that set the ball up inside the 10, and forgive me, because  I don't have the kid's name in front of me - but the long pass play that set the Bulldogs up - the kid was out of bounds by at least a foot - if not more. I'm not entirely sure how in the hell the ref missed that call, but it was atrocious. Granted, The Stangs should've stopped Nederland a couple plays before when they had the FB wrapped up at the line of scrimmage on third and three, but instead he breaks through some arm tackles and rumbles 20 yards to keep the momentum and the drive alive. Great play by Nederland.

But to rule that pass play in-bounds was inexcusable.

As for West Orange Stark - I don't know Cornel Thompson, and I'm sure he's a nice man, but the Mustangs made the wrong hire. While the officiating in last night's game was questionable, the playcalling and enthusiasm from the W-OS sideline was almost as appalling. That offense is about as vanilla as you're gonna get, and if it weren't for pure athleticism from the Mustang side, this game would've been decided much earlier. The Mustangs had a coach on staff - Toby Foreman - a young, vibrant, innovative guy who has a proven track record of success who in my estimation would've brought a state title back to Orange, and created another era of excellence and state titles, but they choose a longtime assistant instead. Bad move. That's what I took away from last night's game. Sure, Nederland pulled it out, but W-OS and its football program is the real loser because they let the best coach for that program walk and its going to cost them big time.

[quote name="TheFredDavis" post="1042588" timestamp="1314462269"]
A couple things from last night's game... First, hats off to Nederland for not quitting. Down 20-7 and after a dismal third quarter, the Bulldogs kept coming at W-OS, and did a great job of getting the ball back with 3:30 left to go in the ballgame. And what a ballsy call to go for the 2-pter and the win versus settling for the tie and overtime. So kudos to Coach Neumann for the testicular fortitude and his players for converting.

Now.... [b]While I was there as strictly as fan of high school football with no rooting interest in either side[/b], the call that set the ball up inside the 10, and forgive me, because  I don't have the kid's name in front of me - but the long pass play that set the Bulldogs up - the kid was out of bounds by at least a foot - if not more. I'm not entirely sure how in the heck the ref missed that call, but it was atrocious. Granted, The Stangs should've stopped Nederland a couple plays before when they had the FB wrapped up at the line of scrimmage on third and three, but instead he breaks through some arm tackles and rumbles 20 yards to keep the momentum and the drive alive. Great play by Nederland.

But to rule that pass play in-bounds was inexcusable.

As for West Orange Stark - I don't know Cornel Thompson, and I'm sure he's a nice man, but the Mustangs made the wrong hire. While the officiating in last night's game was questionable, the playcalling and enthusiasm from the W-OS sideline was almost as appalling. That offense is about as vanilla as you're gonna get, and if it weren't for pure athleticism from the Mustang side, this game would've been decided much earlier. The Mustangs had a coach on staff - Toby Foreman - a young, vibrant, innovative guy who has a proven track record of success who in my estimation would've brought a state title back to Orange, and created another era of excellence and state titles, but they choose a longtime assistant instead. Bad move. That's what I took away from last night's game. Sure, Nederland pulled it out, but W-OS and its football program is the real loser because they let the best coach for that program walk and its going to cost them big time.
[/quote]

Fred, it's obvious the only interest you had in this game was to bash Coach T. Come back in December and don't be a stranger. 

I was at the game last night and take the bad officiating out of it,  WOS dominated the game.  Not sure about the offensive play calling.  Looks like the WOS coach is bound and determined to run that I formation when it was clear Nederland had no answer for the spread/pistol  all night.  That let the Dogs stay close which in the end cost them the game.  Never let a team like Nederland to stick around or you will fall victim to possible bad calls.  Refs stunk it up last night but WOS lost this game not the officials.  To bad because the Mustangs where playing great all night.

PS.  Mathews,  get the names of this crew and run from them.  They were as bad as the Bridge City crew from last year.  ;D ;D 

The two point conversion was good.  Left hand hit the ground, ball in right hand was on the goal line when his butt hit the ground.  Nederland defense did very well last night and will only get better.  Missed tackles at the line of scrimmage hurt some but it's hard to wrap up a running back that quick and elusive.  WO-S defense very impressive and quick.....one of their better defenses I have seen in the last couple years.  WO-S kickoff return called a touchback; he caught the ball out side the goal line then stepped back across the goal line with one foot ruling it a touchback. The same as catching it on the 5 yard line and running back in the endzone.

[quote name="BigRed42" post="1042625" timestamp="1314464757"]
Other than the refs being off their game a little, did anyone else notice that the clock management was absolutely horrible last night?
[/quote]
Clock management, refereeing, and both teams were a little sloppy last night. But it is the opening game of the season. I'm sure that we'll see better effort and execution by both teams as the season progresses. I'm not so sure that FredDavis was bashing coach T. I have as much respect for coach Thompson as anybody, but what I saw last night didnt look like Mustang football that I have seen for years. The Dan Hooks era is over, so maybe me and the Mustangs have to get used to something new. I'm looking forward to seeing the Mustangs again later in the season, as well as the Bulldogs. Nederland is usually a slow starter, so this win over WOS is kinda big. The Ned QB Raines looked good, as well as his big target (Shaw?). I like the big balls call for the 2 pointer as well as the long field goal try from the Mustangs. As one of many PNG fans in the stadium, it was a fun game to watch and an excellent opener to the 2011 season.

For fred davis or whatever your name is, please slap yourself! You have no idea what its like to play for a man like coach T! He is a remarkable coach and a remarkable man! And he DESERVES the job he has! Now for WOS fans it is time for us to move on from this game cause we have another one in 6 days! See ya'll at Dan R Hooks stadium for the tailgate party!

[quote name="raidernaytion" post="1042358" timestamp="1314423404"]
Nederland gets the refs again ,  I would hate to win that way .

*mod edit for player bashing
[/quote]

A win is a win no matter how you get it. U lose some games from bad calls, and u win some from bad calls. It's always been a part of the game, and always will be.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder