Lamar welcomes 2nd chance players.

Guest ECBucFan

I was actually excited about LU football. After getting the kid last year from A&M and now these 2, I'm not sure I'll ever support this staff, maybe not even LU for not setting a higher standard.

And, I don't really care "if everybody else is doing it" LU should set a higher standard.

As far as "getting a second chance", ask about the second chances that were given to the children of parents killed by drunk drivers, or the women (girlfriends) they beat on. Where is there second chance to live or live a life without being beat on.

None of these guys killed anyone, did they? ??? And I just ask what team do you support? Because every team has at least one of them it seems.

I'm not approving of anything any of these guys did. I'm simply saying I don't think any of these guys did anything to deserve to never play football again. But I'm not sure what these players offenses are.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1036056" timestamp="1313510144"]
I was actually excited about LU football. After getting the kid last year from A&M and now these 2, I'm not sure I'll ever support this staff, maybe not even LU for not setting a higher standard.

And, I don't really care "if everybody else is doing it" LU should set a higher standard.

As far as "getting a second chance", ask about the second chances that were given to the children of parents killed by drunk drivers, or the women (girlfriends) they beat on. Where is there second chance to live or live a life without being beat on.

[/quote]

So I'm guessing by this post you don't support any company that hires anyone that has been charged with a DUI or any other type of offense.  Do you also believe that not only should they be punished by the legal system, they should be backlisted as well from what they do best?  ::)

[quote name="coachacola" post="1036127" timestamp="1313521291"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=86700.msg1036056#msg1036056 date=1313510144]

[/quote]

So I'm guessing by this post you don't support any company that hires anyone that has been charged with a DUI or any other type of offense.  Do you also believe that not only should they be punished by the legal system, they should be backlisted as well from what they do best?  ::)
[/quote]
I like what you said.  That is a very good point, coach.

All I'm saying is why do ya'll support "another chance"? Their victims sure don't...but I guess they don't matter as long as "the system" has run its course and they (the criminals) say they will not do that again, right!

[quote name="58SHW" post="1039383" timestamp="1314038038"]
All I'm saying is why do ya'll support "another chance"? Their victims sure don't...but I guess they don't matter as long as "the system" has run its course and they (the criminals) say they will not do that again, right!
[/quote]

Concerning Oden, who is the victim you're talking about?  Do you even know what he did?

Guest ECBucFan
"Oden struggles with [u]heat[/u]"

Now, I don't care who you are, thats funny right there!  ;D

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/22/oden-struggles-in-heat/

[quote name="coachacola" post="1039443" timestamp="1314046179"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=86700.msg1039383#msg1039383 date=1314038038]
[/quote]

Concerning Oden, who is the victim you're talking about?  Do you even know what he did?
[/quote]

Yes, I do. And how do you think those who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers feel about this. No, he didnt kill anyone THIS time.  Lets just imagine for a moment if one of YOUR family members had been killed by a drunk driver, OR if your daughter or sisters boyfriend had beaten them, would you still feel the same, about not "ruining" their career of college softball? I DOUBT IT, unless your are TRUELY heartless even to you own family. If its true you feel differently if it were YOUR family, then, well its just sad you cant understand victims and familes that are feel a bit slighted by LU authorities, for allowing this.

And don't give me the "if that happened to me or my family, I kick the ___ out of them", thats just little man macho talk.

I completely understand DUIs are very serious. Idiot drunk drivers have killed millions of innocent victims and it is stupid for anyone to ever drink and drive. My question is: Do you guys think after 2 arrests for Drunk Driving but never hurt anyone (yet), should a player still be allowed to play pro or college sports?

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1039712" timestamp="1314116925"]
My little cousin was killed by a Drunk driver on Twin City Highway. She was out on her very first date. She was 15.
[/quote]

Really sorry to hear that. So why should people (especially multi-offenders) get another chance (TO kill someone) - she didn't

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1039785" timestamp="1314125373"]
I fully agree. I wish the spot he takes could go to someone else more responsible. Lamar seems to be attracting these types.
[/quote]

Yes yes and the SFA program is only reserved for alter boys and choir boys!  Not condoning in any fashion Oden's poor judgement, and only time will tell if he has made the appropriate change in his life and choices.  I am hoping he has.  I was on point questioning this decision.  I hope it works out and is positive for Oden, and of course LU.

Like everyone else on here, extremely sorry about what happened.

On the other hand, you guys have to realize that what Lamar is doing is normal... Doesn't mean that it is right. But professional athletes get these second chances all of the time. Lamar is just taking these guys because it's hard as a start up program to pass up on guys like these when they'll probably wind up playing you from another team in the conference. Yes, it sucks... But it's something that you need to be mad at every team about, not just Lamar. Plenty of other programs do this. Again doesn't mean that it's right. I know that if I did something small wrong that didn't affect a life, I sure would want a second chance.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1039829" timestamp="1314127538"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=86700.msg1039785#msg1039785 date=1314125373]
I fully agree. I wish the spot he takes could go to someone else more responsible. Lamar seems to be attracting these types.
[/quote]

Yes yes and the SFA program is only reserved for alter boys and choir boys!  [/quote]

I don't think SFA is relevent to the discussion. You brought it up though, not me. Since you did,  do some research. J.C. Harper has recently purged about a dozen players from the team. Of course, some just left due to lack of playing time and other personal reasons, but some were indeed purged due to conduct. Harper is about a "no nonsense" guy as you will find. 

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1039858" timestamp="1314130245"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=86700.msg1039829#msg1039829 date=1314127538]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=86700.msg1039785#msg1039785 date=1314125373]
[/quote]

Yes yes and the SFA program is only reserved for alter boys and choir boys!  [/quote]

I don't think SFA is relevent to the discussion. You brought it up though, not me. Since you did,  do some research. J.C. Harper has recently purged about a dozen players from the team. Of course, some just left due to lack of playing time and other personal reasons, but some were indeed purged due to conduct. Harper is about a "no nonsense" guy as you will find.
[/quote]

It is relevant if you are an SFA alum/supporter and you come and throw rocks at another school.  If what you say is true, then kudo's to JC Harper.  I am all about running a program that is both competitive and is about character development.  That said, my intellect tells me that you almost definately support one or more teams from the high school to the pro level that has it's fair share of thugs.  Tell me where you can go in today's sports world and not support a team that doesn't have a player or two with a checkered past?

He has probably gotten rid of guys that messed up at SFA.. Most coaches will usually take these guys on a "One strike you're out policy." If the guy has cleaned up his act, he'll be at Lamar 3 more years. Again, I'm not condoning anything any program does... That is just the way the cookie crumbles now-a-days.

[quote name="AJ25" post="1039840" timestamp="1314128418"]

On the other hand, [b]you guys have to realize that what Lamar is doing is normal... [/b] Doesn't mean that it is right. But professional athletes get these second chances all of the time. Lamar is just taking these guys because it's hard as a start up program to pass up on guys like these when they'll probably wind up playing you from another team in the conference. Yes, it sucks... But it's something that you need to be mad at every team about, not just Lamar. Plenty of other programs do this. Again doesn't mean that it's right. I know that if I did something small wrong that didn't affect a life, I sure would want a second chance.
[/quote]

1) I guess it's also ok to condone steroid use....everbody is doiing it. Why doesn't LU set themselves apart from that, and take the high road, some things are more important than winning AT ALL COST.

2) I realize alot of schools (HS and College) and pros are doing it. But if you are aware of specific circumstances, and you continue to support through ticket purcheses then you are condoning and approving of this behavior. It wont ever happen, but the fans control t hese things, if we don't purchase tickets, and let it be know as to WHY we arent supporting them...it WILL stop. But I do understand, the almighty championship at all cost is worth way more to some than the message it is sending to younger athletes.

3) The article seemed to be written in a positive way toward LU, whereas to me, it came across as bragging and airing dirty laundry.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040018" timestamp="1314186480"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=86700.msg1039840#msg1039840 date=1314128418]

On the other hand, [b]you guys have to realize that what Lamar is doing is normal... [/b] Doesn't mean that it is right. But professional athletes get these second chances all of the time. Lamar is just taking these guys because it's hard as a start up program to pass up on guys like these when they'll probably wind up playing you from another team in the conference. Yes, it sucks... But it's something that you need to be mad at every team about, not just Lamar. Plenty of other programs do this. Again doesn't mean that it's right. I know that if I did something small wrong that didn't affect a life, I sure would want a second chance.
[/quote]

1) I guess it's also ok to condone steroid use....everbody is doiing it. Why doesn't LU set themselves apart from that, and take the high road, some things are more important than winning AT ALL COST.

2) I realize alot of schools (HS and College) and pros are doing it. But if you are aware of specific circumstances, and you continue to support through ticket purcheses then you are condoning and approving of this behavior. It wont ever happen, but the fans control t hese things, if we don't purchase tickets, and let it be know as to WHY we arent supporting them...it WILL stop. But I do understand, the almighty championship at all cost is worth way more to some than the message it is sending to younger athletes.

3) The article seemed to be written in a positive way toward LU, whereas to me, it came across as bragging and airing dirty laundry.
[/quote]

You do realize that 98-99% of this team is full of great guys who work their butt off day in and day out to win an SLC Championship? What would it show by the fans saying that "We don't want to support you because you took a couple of guys with shady backgrounds?" I'm sorry, not supporting the team because of a couple of bad eggs isn't the right way to go. What are you saying to all the other guys who are great and bust their hump every day? (Which is just about all of them) Sorry, I realize where you're coming from, but I don't think that's the best way to go about it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder