Silsbee school board meeting tonight to announce coach

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1031822" timestamp="1312558320"]
It really don't matter. Silsbee still gotta play this year and earn a playoff spot. ;)
[/quote]

It really don't matter?? ::)

I think the position of head basketball coach in Silsbee does matter.

Silsbee "gotta play" every year. ;)

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1031815" timestamp="1312557003"]
While working at SISD Ira continued to go to school and got his degree.  He has worked a full time job that requires around 70 hours a week.  Gone to school at night and summers.  Raised a family. And coached in a way that makes boys into men. 

Who in their right mind can say they wouldnt want a person like that leading their child?  He set his goal and is working hard to get it.  Determination.

If Silsbee hires an interum coach and gives Ira one year to get certified, I am ok with it.  If your not.....dont care....go sit on an egg. :D   
[/quote] I totaly agree and Ira is the best person for this job. He and the entire coaching staff have been nothing but great to my son this summer, in letting he come and workout getting ready to play collage ball this year. Even if he did not play in Sislbee last year. They are in it just for the kids ,and today that means alot to me.

Guest speechless
True Blue,

You are off a little on this...I can promise you.  You must be a full time employee of the ISD to be a coach BUT to be a HEAD COACH of particular sports you must be a certified teacher I assure you.

[quote name="speechless" post="1031898" timestamp="1312573312"]
True Blue,

You are off a little on this...I can promise you.  You must be a full time employee of the ISD to be a coach BUT to be a HEAD COACH of particular sports you must be a certified teacher I assure you.
[/quote] U are so right -------Speechless ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="speechless" post="1031898" timestamp="1312573312"]
True Blue,

[/quote] I am not saying your wrong but, my wife workes for Lamar in the Advising and counselor. And there is no Certifition test for coaching. As I said most schools will not wont to hire a coach that is not a cert. teacher also, but you only have to be a full time employee of the school. I know at Evadale the Golf and Tennis coach or teachers addes and dont have any collage what so ever. They are the head and only coach. Now your school might require a coach to be Cert. but its not required by the state.

Guest speechless
You are right....there is no certification test for coaching BUT..UIL requires that the head coaches of what they consider the major sports:  football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, and track must be full time certified teachers to be the head coaches of these sports.

Guys here is the rule straight from the UIL:

"Section 1202: EMPLOYMENT OF COACHES
(a) HIGH SCHOOL COACHES.
(1) Full-Time Employees. A school is not eligible for UIL competition in an athletic activity unless the head coach and
assistant high school coaches are full-time employees of the school board of the school which the team represents.
(2) Full Time Defined. Full-time means that the person is under contract to the school board of the school which the
athletic team represents for the whole scholastic or calendar year, and the person has enough contractual duties to
be considered a full-time employee by the Teacher Retirement System and state law. See Official Interpretation #14,
Appendix I.
(3) Exceptions. A retired teacher/administrator who has 20 or more years of experience may serve as an assistant coach
in all athletics and as a head coach for golf, tennis, team tennis, cross country, track and field, swimming and
wrestling. (This rule shall not affect the status of a coach on a leave of absence attending college.) Also, student
teachers, while they are assigned to a participant school district to fulfill their student teaching requirements, may
volunteer to serve as an assistant coach in all athletics. Schools shall not pay student teachers for assisting athletic
coaches. A full-time substitute who has coached during the school year may be permitted to continue coaching until
the UIL competitive year has ended. Example: state baseball playoffs."

Official Interpretation #14 states:

"14. Sections 1033 and 1202 – Employment of Coaches:
Full time employees must comply with the following standards in order to serve as a high school
(grades 9-12) athletic coach or a high school one-act play director.
TRS Minimum Employment Eligibility Standards cited below are used to define full-time (but the
employee does not have to actually qualify for TRS):
(a) A minimum of one-half of the time required of the standard workload (minimum of 15 hours
per week for non-certified and 20 hours per week for certified employees); and
(b) Earning a salary comparable to one-half the salary earned by a full-time employee in a similar
position; and
(c) For UIL: is under contract to the school board for the whole scholastic or calendar year for
coaching or directing stipend (or contract could be contingent on district’s ability to hire a full
time qualified instructor.)
Exception: School boards may hire individuals to coach who are not teachers and whose regular
duties do not qualify them for a contract with the school district, provided: their employment
conditions satisfy (a) and (b) cited above; their rate of pay for the school year is determined by the
board before they begin coaching; they are informed by the person approving them for hire that
they are not eligible to receive a bonus or any part of their coaching salary from any source
(including booster clubs) other than the school district; they complete and sign a UIL Professional
Acknowledgement Form."

Now that y'all have it in front of you and are no longer guessing, you may continue.

[quote name="True Blue" post="1032024" timestamp="1312643073"]
For once I am Right ;D You only have to be employed FULL TIME by the School to be a coach.... :D :D Nothing said about Certifition
[/quote]

Actually, the official interpretation appears to allow for non-certified persons to qualify as full time employees and thus as head coaches, check out the bolded section below:

"14. Sections 1033 and 1202 – Employment of Coaches:
Full time employees must comply with the following standards in order to serve as a high school
(grades 9-12) athletic coach or a high school one-act play director.
TRS Minimum Employment Eligibility Standards cited below are used to define full-time (but the
employee does not have to actually qualify for TRS):
(a) A minimum of one-half of the time required of the standard workload ([b]minimum of 15 hours
per week for non-certified[/b] and 20 hours per week for certified employees);

I realy dont understand why anyone would not go and get cert. if they were going to be a coach. Seems to me it would only make it eazer to get hired. In todays job market I dont see many schools just hiring someone to just be a coach and not also a teacher. But back on topic I just hope that Silsbee makes the right hire ,for the kids and town.

Well, let's clear something up here.  While, neither hold certification as "teachers" does not mean that they hold no certification with the State whatsoever.  Both Coach Brooks and Coach Collins do hold valid certifications with the State Board of Educator Certification as "Educational Aide I."

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1032033" timestamp="1312646394"]
Well, let's clear something up here.  While, neither hold certification as "teachers" does not mean that they hold no certification with the State whatsoever.  Both Coach Brooks and Coach Collins do hold valid certifications with the State Board of Educator Certification as "Educational Aide I."
[/quote]Weather or not they have the certifations or not should not have any bearing on this job. If they are the best for the job they should be hired. We have astablished that certifations hold on bearing on hiring a coach.

CPA is different. But I'd argue that someone with a bachelor's degree and good business sense/leadership skills could do a better job as a superintendent than many of them out there.

There are plenty of good coaches in the state of Texas who would do a great job working with hs kids even though they are not certified teachers.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1032089" timestamp="1312664249"]
CPA is different. But I'd argue that someone with a bachelor's degree and good business sense/leadership skills could do a better job as a superintendent than many of them out there.

There are plenty of good coaches in the state of Texas who would do a great job working with hs kids even though they are not certified teachers.
[/quote]

Could you not, then make the same statement about math instructors or computer people?

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1032089" timestamp="1312664249"]

[b]There are plenty of good coaches in the state of Texas who would do a great job working with hs kids even though they are not certified teachers.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree. But what happens when that school district needs that "coach" to teach in a classroom? You can have just so many aids on a campus. With these budget cuts taking place, you need as many coach/educators as possible. By comparison, not too many coaches in the state that do not have to teach in a classroom versus the ones that do. That's why you see school districts sometimes pass over some coach because his/her teaching field doesn't fit that districts needs at the present time.

In these times, a coach has to pull double duty (coach/teach)

Guest speechless
That is the funny part, the CPA believes that it is truly just coaching and has no clue the personal relationships that have to built and all that goes into coaching.

I do my own taxes every year, that doesn't mean I can be a CPA.

Guest incognito123
The real question is, why are our school districts paying "aides" as much money as they are paying if they are only aide/coaches.  And if they are paying them as aides, what kind of person is happy making the little amount of money?  If we are paying aides as much as head coaches when they are not certified teachers, I"d think the taxpayers would have something to say about that.

[quote name="incognito123" post="1032489" timestamp="1312821097"]
The real question is, why are our school districts paying "aides" as much money as they are paying if they are only aide/coaches.  And if they are paying them as aides, what kind of person is happy making the little amount of money?  If we are paying aides as much as head coaches when they are not certified teachers, I"d think the taxpayers would have something to say about that.
[/quote]

Trust me, these "aides" are not being paid like a head coach is being paid.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1032094" timestamp="1312665856"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=86248.msg1032089#msg1032089 date=1312664249]

[b]There are plenty of good coaches in the state of Texas who would do a great job working with hs kids even though they are not certified teachers.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree. But what happens when that school district needs that "coach" to teach in a classroom? You can have just so many aids on a campus. With these budget cuts taking place, you need as many coach/educators as possible. By comparison, not too many coaches in the state that do not have to teach in a classroom versus the ones that do. That's why you see school districts sometimes pass over some coach because his/her teaching field doesn't fit that districts needs at the present time.

In these times, a coach has to pull double duty (coach/teach)
[/quote]I agree that there is a great need for aides/paraprofessionals in every school district but the have to maintain a balance of teacher-coaches. The medical field has the same problem.....the PA's are abundant and needed for monetary reasons with insurance providers but you still have the long standing need for an MD in all areas.

Guest speechless
Just to throw some more actual facts out regarding Aides/Teachers/Coaches and their pay:

A full time employee is paid based on their status:  professional, administrator, aide, etc.

A coaches pay comes in the form of stipends in addition to the full time status pay, usually per sport.

A school district cannot just pay a coach of a certain sport whatever they want.  Those stipends must fall in line with other head coaching stipends of other sports.  ISD's must be able to justify each portion of an employee's salary.  This is where ISD's get creative to bump coaches salaries.  They can pay them to open gym/weight rooms during the summer, pay them to be administrator on duty at other events, pay them to be gym coordinators etc. BUT, they must be able to justify every dollar that is being paid especially since school pay roll's are public information.

So no coach just gets a salary handed to them like they do in college and pros....in high school every cent must be justified and fall in line with a budget and other stipends being given.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1031815" timestamp="1312557003"]
While working at SISD Ira continued to go to school and got his degree.  He has worked a full time job that requires around 70 hours a week.  Gone to school at night and summers.  Raised a family. And coached in a way that makes boys into men.  

Who in their right mind can say they wouldnt want a person like that leading their child?  He set his goal and is working hard to get it.  Determination.

If Silsbee hires an interum coach and gives Ira one year to get certified, I am ok with it.  If your not.....dont care....go sit on an egg. :D  
[/quote]

Ira Brooks is a class act!! he does not get the respect nor the credit he justly deserves from SISD school board!!  There is a place out there somewhere that will appreciate him for his knowledge of the game but, more importantly, for the impact he makes on the lives of the young men that he comes in contact with.  All sports could benefit from having more men or women like Coach Brooks!! Good luck, Coach Brooks and may God bless you!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami