Hamshire-Fannett ??

The parents are involved kind of like Orangefield, only difference is kids at HF do not compare to talent or work ethic or ability of the Bobcats.  Look at the hiring of the boys basketball job, they hired a girls coach and the girls basketball job had the first four turn down job because pay is so bad.  Look at boys basketball, head coach and all asst. are not coming back, how do you get anyone to coach those boys.  Also the comments on this board after a loss in any sport have to be deleted by admin because of the negative talk.  Had a friend tell me that at least three employees have told family members not to apply for openings, at HF, how sad is that.  Take their pay check but can't say it is a good place to work.  Only school in Golden triangle that is this messed up.

To much interference from parents.  They think they know more than the coaches, always trying to find a way to get their kids out of the work.  Instead of parental support they kill the program.  Coaches want to go somewhere that they can work without constant interference.  Parents should support not interfere.

[quote name="Dove Hunter" post="1012947" timestamp="1305925438"]
The parents are involved kind of like Orangefield, only difference is kids at HF do not compare to talent or work ethic or ability of the Bobcats.  Look at the hiring of the boys basketball job, they hired a girls coach and the girls basketball job had the first four turn down job because pay is so bad.  Look at boys basketball, head coach and all asst. are not coming back, how do you get anyone to coach those boys.  Also the comments on this board after a loss in any sport have to be deleted by admin because of the negative talk.  Had a friend tell me that at least three employees have told family members not to apply for openings, at HF, how sad is that.  Take their pay check but can't say it is a good place to work.  Only school in Golden triangle that is this messed up.
[/quote]

I happen to work there and it's an absolutely great place to work. I left for one year to be closer to home after I got married but went back to HF after a year because myself and my wife missed the home atmosphere. One of three or four schools last year that were Exemplary all the way through. I don't believe that is too messed up... :)

[/quote] Being an HF parent and having one kid to start high school last Fall, I think it is a combination of things and all the stars in the universe just don't match up all at the same time & with enough adjustments to offset this situation. Dedicated teachers who are willing to work with less pay and educate the kids. HF parents love their football and want to have a winning program but maybe the talent and dedication aren't quite aligned there just yet in football.

Guest wackpack
[/quote]  :D :D :D :D!

[quote name="JSnipes" post="1013091" timestamp="1305947171"]
[quote author=Dove Hunter link=topic=84438.msg1012947#msg1012947 date=1305925438]
[/quote]

I happen to work there and it's an absolutely great place to work. I left for one year to be closer to home after I got married but went back to HF after a year because myself and my wife missed the home atmosphere. One of three or four schools last year that were Exemplary all the way through. I don't believe that is too messed up... :)

This is about sports and lets look at the head football coach, was fired at last job.  Head Baseball coach fired at last job, New head boys basketball coach a girls basketball coach that was asked to look this summer, on way to getting fired.  Exemplary does not mean that those kids are any more prepared for college than the Nederland, PNG or Ozen kids, it means that the teachers teach the test and very well and that the parents their know that the school is not about to win in sports, so better work hard on grades.  Coaching does not win games kids do, Orangefield wins with good coaches and great kids. HF has just as good coaches with average athletes. The coaches at HF are good boarding on great.  Parents are and always will be the problem.  Coach you left and came back for family atmosphere, that is sweet at Christmas and Graduation but it does not win and that is how HF parents measure their coaches by wins.
[/quote]

I don't understand why everyone makes a big deal about the basketball coach being a former head girls coach.  I don't know the man's past but being successful on any level can carry over.  If he teaches the fundamentals and the game of basketball to the kids gender should not play a role. 
What is all the talk about teaching to the test.  The test is based on the state curriculum so if you teach the state curriculum then I guess you teach to the test.
I have seen good coaches win game with inferior talent as well as see great talent underachieve.  Coaching is important and the whole puzzle has to fit to win championships.  If you have ever looked at the UIL brackets you might understand that it is a very difficult thing to win a state championship. 

Didn't Bum say there are 2 types of coaches "them that's been fired and them that's gonna be fired"  Come coaches get fired because of lack of talent and high expectations.  Average talent with a successful bought into program can win a lot of games.

Coaching boys and girls is different. Anyone with kids of opposite genders knows that. Nice ol Gary Blair at A&M would not be treated with the same respect by the men's team there.
It makes you wonder if the AD there really cares about boys basketball when he hires someone like that.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1013391" timestamp="1306091019"]
Coaching boys and girls is different. Anyone with kids of opposite genders knows that. Nice ol Gary Blair at A&M would not be treated with the same respect by the men's team there.
It makes you wonder if the AD there really cares about boys basketball when he hires someone like that.

[/quote]
How can you say that? It's not even basketball season and you claim this guy is a loser.  You need to wait and see what happens.  That is so ridiculous.  He may just be the right guy for the job.  Give him a chance and I bet you will see something good.  you never know

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1013391" timestamp="1306091019"]

[/quote]
Not sure AD made that hire.  The question was what is wrong with HF and it sure is not the coaches it is parents that feel the need to put every analysis of every possession and loss on this website.  Orangefield parents are like HF with one glaring difference the coaches there can see the players have the work ethic and skill to win.  Not the case at HF, those kids will make great employees, bosses and husband and wives.  Just not athletes, mom and dad at HF blame everything bad on coaches therefore kids are held to zero accountability.  We keep heckling the hiring of the boys coach not to disrespect the coach, to point out that the parents that forced the old coach out.  Using this website to air their grievances could not have dreamed that the school would settle on a girls coach.  He is probably the best for the job, but seriously Kirbyville out hired HF and that comes back to original question what is wrong with HF.
1.  Parents are over involved and school employees are so aware of this they have steered friends and family members from this district for employment.
2.  Pay, along with admin that reads these post and make sure that the loud minority is heard makes it a district that will always be exemplary and never consistently win.

[quote name="Howard" post="1012778" timestamp="1305895104"]
Can anyone tell me why there seems to be such a huge turnover rate for teachers and coaches at this school? What is the problem there?
[/quote]

Problem is that the school doesn't have a very deep talent pool.  Good kids and work ethic is fantastic... but eventually winning has to be a priority.  Coaches realize they wont win consistently so they leave.  Even when HF has a descent group of kids come thru...just a tough district.

Talent pool is lacking and so is the cash flow.  Now to address basketball at HF....  HF boys basketball has never been consistantly good.  They may have a good team every 15 to 20 years but thats about it.  Consistantly below average even when their football team was winning.  If you are a parent who has a son who you may consider a great basketball play than you need to move to another school if its that important to you to win in basketball.

Okay when I say consistantly good I mean make it to the regional tournament or make it to the state tournament.  HF has never been a basketball school or been consistantly good (win district and several playoff games).  Consistantly good:  HJ, Kountze, EC, Silsbee, Ozen, Lincoln (prior to PAM), etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder