THE FASTES AND MOST ENTERTAINING RUNNING BACK TO EVER PLAY FOR THE LIBERTY?00-11

John Doughboy Collins...Just a great highschool athlete.  Was the TEAM in the playoff loss to Ernie Coy, Joe Ed Lynn and the Bellville football team of the 60's.  John also, just about singlehandedly, won the State High School Track Meet for the Panthers his senior year.  Went on to A&M but injuries ended his football career.

reggie white was the best i saw...he was there in the 90s...granted for me i can only remember back to the early 90s since i was born in 85...some of these older guys may have seen better, but i find it hard to believe you can be much better than reggie white was...

[quote name="I dont play well with Jaguars" post="1012570" timestamp="1305833701"]
Tony Bua was a good one too
[/quote]

thought Bua was a linebacker when he played in liberty....he left liberty and went to louisiana so he could go play on the offensive side of the ball and get more attention from LSU....of course the great irony was that he went to Arkansas and was a safety/linebacker that holds their record for career tackles....i think Anthony Chambers was QB at that time who set some records for punt returns at Purdue...that was some good liberty teams, dont remember the running back that beat Bua out, maybe that was White but i think White played with Donald Douglas of Houston Cougars fame...Newton was our achilis heel back in those days, lotta talent but could never get past them...

• 2 weeks later...
Sterling Griffin late 40's had several 5 td games and multiple 3 td games then went to Lamar on a scholarship and played on the team w/Bum Phillips then transferred to Baylor.Got married,fathered a son that ended the football career but ignighted a long successful golf career.For yrs.Liberty co. folks said he was special.In bad health currently @ 82.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="liltex" post="1016330" timestamp="1307204670"]
Sterling Griffin late 40's had several 5 td games and multiple 3 td games then went to Lamar on a scholarship and played on the team w/Bum Phillips then transferred to Baylor.Got married,fathered a son that ended the football career but ignighted a long successful golf career.For yrs.Liberty co. folks said he was special.In bad health currently @ 82.
[/quote]

I've heard of Sterling Griffin via golf contacts.  Never got to meet him.  By golf reputation, he was a "Titan" at the game.

Guest beechnut
Reggie White played college ball at Okie State right? He and Bua were the best I seen and Chambers was a good qb. Liberty is a far cry now compared to what they use to be.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1016395" timestamp="1307215475"]
Reggie White played college ball at Okie State right? He and Bua were the best I seen and Chambers was a good qb. Liberty is a far cry now compared to what they use to be.
[/quote]yep he went to okie state

[quote name="beechnut" post="1016395" timestamp="1307215475"]
[/quote]

Reggie rushed for over 1000 yards at Okie State one year...came out for the draft after his redshirt junior year and did not get drafted...really sucked for him, i guess he got some bad advice...Chambers played WR and returned kicks at Purdue, i think he set some records there for punt returns...I think that Chambers had some time on a nfl team or 2 as did Reggie White but they never really stuck anywhere...

Bua, I already mentioned earlier in the thread though apparantly i don't remember him playing RB (i was young)...i do remember when he left to get more exposure it was a really big blow to the panthers at the time...

Liberty just needs to have a coach that can win some games move back in and they will be fine...the athletes are there they just need the right coach, hopefully this coach they have now will be that guy...

• 1 month later...
[quote name="bigtex99" post="1011192" timestamp="1305438761"]
LIBERTY HAS HAD ALOT OF GREAT RBS BUT THERE WAS JUST SOME THAT MIGHT NOT HAVE WENT ON TO HAVE COLLEGE SUCESS BUT WERE REALLY FUN TO WATCH WHEN THEY WERE IN HS...GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS
[/quote] Jeremy Swift fullback led the panthers to back to back District titles in 2003 and 2004. Also went 10-0 for the first time since 1960's

reggie white left ok st. too early.. was a beast tho

bua was a beast.. played for the dolphins (mia) for a very short period.. was on madden 08 or 09 a few yrs back dont recall which one.. (you had to download updated rosters tho)

swift was a MONSTER.. try tackling him if you dont believe me!

jerremy roberts did most of his damage in dayton his sophomore yr and had a lot of off the field issues but as far as talent goes.. he def. was one of the best.. although he played qb in liberty an was high on weed every game.. too many fumbles.. ask those broncos about him tho... TALENT, not CHARACTER..

Chambers was a beast..

donald douglas went on to UH and did pretty good.. think he made the pro's too.. was also a BEAST

anyone familiar with recent liberty football knows that most of our athletes dont even play sports anymore... too political down here...

[quote name="dodiej" post="1026352" timestamp="1311121368"]

donald douglas went on to UH and did pretty good.. think he made the pro's too.. was also a BEAST

[/quote]

i remember Douglas playing receiver for the Giants at one time....dont know if he played anywhere else but definitely played some pro ball....

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1029637" timestamp="1312044162"]
Liberty has football? lol

[/quote]

please tell me a bobcat isn't tryin to trash talk.. ya'll are in 2a and still can't win ish.. sad!! when was the last time yall beat liberty... in anything? ok, thanks.

[quote name="dodiej" post="1030392" timestamp="1312242629"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=84300.msg1029637#msg1029637 date=1312044162]
Liberty has football? lol

[/quote]

please tell me a bobcat isn't tryin to trash talk.. ya'll are in 2a and still can't win ish.. sad!! when was the last time yall beat liberty... in anything? ok, thanks.
[/quote]

Actually they are 1 a now. Don't get in a fight with 55 tho he will just bore you with HD glory days 50 years ago.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder