Best RB in SETX........

Per Mr. Campbell

The past weekend saw a slew of spring games, official visits and whatever college coaches can do to justify getting 2012 recruits to give their verbal commitments to their respective schools. Ultimately, be you a college football coach or a salesman, we’re all just looking for commitments.

And that’s what we got in the past couple of weeks, with many big-name high school athletes pledging their allegiances to their future college programs.

Let’s start with Nate Holmes, the talented running back from Port Arthur Memorial, who recently offered a verbal commitment to Arkansas. If you’ve never heard of Holmes, chances are you just Google’d him and said “170 pounds? How good can he be?” Answer: very. Holmes definitely could stand to put on a couple pounds, but that’ll happen in college. What you can’t add is speed, and that’s what Holmes had. He ran for 900 yards and 10 TDs in 2010, which, once again, might not sound impressive. But when you consider that Memorial runs a pass-first spread offense, and that Holmes ran for a 7.5-yards-per-carry average, you get to understanding why he’s the perfect fit for the Razorbacks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Scooter!" post="999383" timestamp="1303220463"]
Per Mr. Campbell

The past weekend saw a slew of spring games, official visits and whatever college coaches can do to justify getting 2012 recruits to give their verbal commitments to their respective schools. Ultimately, be you a college football coach or a salesman, we’re all just looking for commitments.

And that’s what we got in the past couple of weeks, with many big-name high school athletes pledging their allegiances to their future college programs.

Let’s start with Nate Holmes, the talented running back from Port Arthur Memorial, who recently offered a verbal commitment to Arkansas. If you’ve never heard of Holmes, chances are you just Google’d him and said “170 pounds? How good can he be?” Answer: very. Holmes definitely could stand to put on a couple pounds, but that’ll happen in college. What you can’t add is speed, and that’s what Holmes had. He ran for 900 yards and 10 TDs in 2010, which, once again, might not sound impressive. But when you consider that Memorial runs a pass-first spread offense, and that Holmes ran for a 7.5-yards-per-carry average, you get to understanding why he’s the perfect fit for the Razorbacks.

[/quote] ::) ::) ::) ::)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="999407" timestamp="1303223013"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=83341.msg999383#msg999383 date=1303220463]
Per Mr. Campbell

[/quote] ::) ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]dont worry, he's gonna shred that pitiful defense yall have yet again this season LOL  ;)

If he is so good, then does that mean that the coaching staff is that bad by not getting in more sets with a fullback or at least giving him more carries out of the spread?  Because you'll only know sissy ball (a quote from SFA 85) and don't utilize the talent properly, Central wins the season opener!  ;)

[quote name="Big Ford" post="999411" timestamp="1303223534"]
If he is so good, then does that mean that the coaching staff is that bad by not getting in more sets with a fullback or at least giving him more carries out of the spread?  Because you'll only know sissy ball (a quote from SFA 85) and don't utilize the talent properly, Central wins the season opener!   ;)
[/quote]he was getting the carries, he got hurt, missed like 4 or 5 games. If he stays healthy wouldnt surprise me if he reaches between 1500-2000 yards IF the coaching staff utilizes him properly. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="999452" timestamp="1303227553"]
I would say the best two runningbacks returning for next season are Chace Bertrand of PNG and Sherman Gilbert of Coldspring.

Bertrands numbers:  326/2013 yards  6.2 avg   24 TD's

Gilbert's numbers:   155/1615 yards   10.4 avg.  22 TD's
[/quote]I thought Bertrand was a senior?  :o

[quote name="studd88" post="999389" timestamp="1303220723"]
Britton Lindsey WOS
[/quote]              Britton  Lindsey will be  a senior in September.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching "The Little Big Man" run all over everybody.  He may not be the best but he is good enough for me.  #43, just keep doing what you have been doing.  You are my #1 "RB in SETX".

Bertrand benefited greatly from that good O-Line, especially that big mean nasty left tackle they had.  From my PN-G contact, most of the O-Line will be gone.  I have questions about Bertrand's running with a mediocre O-Line.  He's no Harmon. 

Holmes will put up good numbers in the Central game, but will fall short.  We don't lose to many times to 'one man shows'.  ;)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="999524" timestamp="1303234818"]
Bertrand benefited greatly from that good O-Line, especially that big mean nasty left tackle they had.  From my PN-G contact, most of the O-Line will be gone.  I have questions about Bertrand's running with a mediocre O-Line.  He's no Harmon. 

Holmes will put up good numbers in the Central game, but will fall short.  We don't lose to many times to 'one man shows'.   ;)
[/quote]You really think Memorial is a one-man show? You don't believe that yourself.  :D :D

[quote name="Bigboss" post="999731" timestamp="1303255879"]
Gilbert put up 235 against Kville and 165 against Carthage. He doesn't have great track speed, but on a football field he can go like no other.
[/quote]he broke that run versus Carthage and i was in awe

[quote name="Bigboss" post="999731" timestamp="1303255879"]
Gilbert put up 235 against Kville and 165 against Carthage. He doesn't have great track speed, but on a football field he can go like no other.
[/quote] Yes he can...i give credit where its due. Throw them stats out the window, i talk to some of the players from Kville and they said they cant wait to play Coldspring this season. :o

[quote name="Don't slap PAM or Brooke  too hard with your pimp hand,Jags." post="999524" timestamp="1303234818"]

Holmes will put up good numbers in the Central game, but will fall short.  We don't lose to many times to 'one man shows'.   ;)
[/quote]
The PNG LT is returning. He was only a Jr. The RT (Lunceford) graduates as does the RG (Braud) and LG (Langois). While I appreciate experience, I think PNG's O-Line will be stout next season again. Several of the returners for next season got PT last year and played very well. Nicotre returns at LT as a three year starter. Reasons will be at one of the gaurd spots, he is a big kid (6'3" 250+) with a mean streak and will be a Junior. Stasinos will be at the RT spot. He played some for Nicotre last year when he was injured and did very well. He is also big (6'5" 250+). Outside of that not sure who will step into the Center and other gaurd spot.

Bertrand has gotten faster and stronger, but I look for a reduction in his numbers because the passing game will not be as wide open (I suspect). He is no where near the prospect that Holmes is. While Chase is a very good high school RB, he doesn't have the speed or size that bigtime colleges are looking for. The majors want either a sub 4.5 or a 6'0" 210+ guy and Chase is neither. Same was the case with Harmon. They will probably measure about the same in their Senior seasons. Both 5'9" 200 lbs range. And to my PNG bretheren, this is not a bad mouthing of Chase Bertrand, as I know the kid and his father and whole family well. It speaks more about the big time colleges. I think Chase is great at what he does and has the one thing that isn't measured...HEART!

As far as the best in SETX...If you include Houston, the Wright kid from Lamarque hands down...If not then the kid from Coldspring was pretty dominant when I saw him last year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124