Question????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess since this school year started with girls and boys blowing off volleyball and football for select softball and baseball, we have come full circle.

In all seriousness, though, during the school year, high school sports should take priority over select sports if that person commits to being a member of a high school team.

My opinion is this, they made a commitment to the HS team by participating in the meet.  If they no showed because of "select" then they need to be kicked off the team.  "Select" means paying money to someone just so they can tell your kid that they are the best, and that the HS coaches aren't doing enough to get little "johnny" or "susie" a scholarship.  Little Johnny and Susie might be the worst athletes or even students in the school.

[quote name="H.I._Cardinals" post="995246" timestamp="1302398488"]
My opinion is this, they made a commitment to the HS team by participating in the meet.  If they no showed because of "select" then they need to be kicked off the team.  "[b]Select" means paying money to someone just so they can tell your kid that they are the best, and that the HS coaches aren't doing enough to get little "johnny" or "susie" a scholarship.[/b]  Little Johnny and Susie might be the worst athletes or even students in the school.

[/quote]

I agree High School should be priority over select but your definition of a select team is way off base...if you think your kid is good enough to play college ball and you're hanging your hopes strictly on the HS coach for recruitment...shame on you!  Select teams in all sports offer great exposure...allows the college coaches of their chosen sport to see them in the off season.

Riding Solo.....how many times are you going to go there....please correct me if I am wrong, but the past 5 or so years haven't field events been on Tuesdays for District.....the parent involved knew that, committed to the select tournament in Indianapolis, and then later found out that district this year had changed.....unfortunate for everyone involved....

But I do agree, high school sports should come first.....I like wosgrad post, so true so true....you start out that way, you end that way....

Take your blood pressure medicine riding solo and it just might be time to retire..... ;)

Trust me, I am taking mine..... ;D

First it must recognized that it is JUST that opinions...so to each their own. But I will add mine. My kid has a desent shot at winning a state title in High Jump. However I will say this....there is NO doubt if she had an exposure tournament in Softball interfering with the state track meet....her select SB would come first. That is made CLEAR at the beginning of each season....if the coach doesn't agree to work around that...she simple doesn't play that school sport....if they do agree.....I don't expect to hear anything about her missing when it happens. Her future and her heart is in softball....period

Damned insomnia!

Craig, your view is a little more enlightened than others with regard to participation.  At least in your case it is decided at the very outset where everyone stands if the student values the commitment to select sport rather than the high school sport...that is no participation whatsoever in the high school sport.

That being said, I can see how such ultimatums can sour a high school coach or athletic director on select sports.  As a coach, part of their job is to mold and train the athletes that they are given.  They must do so on a schedule that is dictated to them by the UIL, so the flexibility a coach can exercise is somewhat limited.  So for a parent to go to said coach and say "This is how it is going to be", I could see where select sports earn the nicknames like "daddy ball." 

But at least in that situation it is settled.  The pet peeve of mine is when the parent does the above and when the decision is made that the student not participate in the high school sport and the parent, or even worse the coach of the select team, comes on to forums such as these and complains that the high school coach or administrator is some sort of unyielding jerk simply because they have set some reasonable guidelines as to participation in that sport.

As Craig doesn't expect to hear any complaints from coaches once the decision is made, coaches don't want to hear anything from the parents, either.

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="995269" timestamp="1302406446"]
Riding Solo.....how many times are you going to go there....please correct me if I am wrong, but the past 5 or so years haven't field events been on Tuesdays for District.....the parent involved knew that, committed to the select tournament in Indianapolis, and then later found out that district this year had changed.....unfortunate for everyone involved....

But I do agree, high school sports should come first.....I like wosgrad post, so true so true....you start out that way, you end that way....

Take your blood pressure medicine riding solo and it just might be time to retire..... ;)

[/quote]

Good post grad, Tjcfan08 I will beat that dead horse until the day I die. Sorry but I will retire someday just not yet. ;) Someone please enlighten me, did they change the track schedule at the last moment? Craig S, would your daughter miss the state softball tournament also?

School sports should come first.

CraigS...if I faced what coaches face today when I coached...I wouldn't let a child play who was going to miss games/meets for their club sport. I would wish them the best of luck in club and hope they received the scholarship they were looking for. However, as long as you and the coach had that agreement...then that's the agreement.

Didn't OF not let girls play volleyball because they missed because of select? If that is true, why was the same rule not followed all year?

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="995311" timestamp="1302445978"]
[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=82947.msg995269#msg995269 date=1302406446]

[/quote]

Good post grad, Tjcfan08 I will beat that dead horse until the day I die. Sorry but I will retire someday just not yet. ;) Someone please enlighten me, did they change the track schedule at the last moment? Craig S, would your daughter miss the state softball tournament also?
[/quote]

In reality the specific sports you're discussing doesn't affect her...her select SB doesn't play during the HS softball season.....but to say this....state ANYTHING in HS....does not come before playing in front of hundreds of college softball colleges....she has given us her priorities....those priorities have been conveyed to her HS coaches....if they won't let her without consequences...she doesn't play....if they agree to work around her select schedule then there isn't a problem for either...coach or player.

[quote name="Rizon" post="995383" timestamp="1302462949"]

CraigS...if I faced what coaches face today when I coached...I wouldn't let a child play who was going to miss games/meets for their club sport. I would wish them the best of luck in club and hope they received the scholarship they were looking for. However, as long as you and the coach had that agreement...then that's the agreement.

Didn't OF not let girls play volleyball because they missed because of select? If that is true, why was the same rule not followed all year?
[/quote]

And that's fine...like I said my kid talks to her coaches beforehand and all decisions are made.....however....if the HS coaches are honest with themselves and their team...and parents...etc....its the TRUE SELECT players that win them games. However it isn't usually a problem for the HS sport and the same Select sport...as they don't compete during the same season in order to NOT INTERFERE..

Its the players that play select softball that interfere with HS volleyball....or Club volleyball that iinterferes with softball....etc etc....so now what? Obviously you have a very talented athlete...she chooses a sport....but would like to play all and rep

resent her school and help them win when she can...but her top priority is to be the best she can in her prefered sport...which will ALSO HELP her high school team.

Then you have this...the volleyball coach is trying to get as many of her VB players to play club.....why...because she recognizes it helps her program...well so the BB coach and the softball coach wants the same.....so the kids comply and seek a select level of play in the sport they choose as per their perspective HS coaches....only to be penalized by coaches of other sports....because the chose softball rather than volleyball...or volleyball rather than BB.....see how this is working out....so what gives.....well in my kids case she doesn't even bother....and at nearly 5-10 she can be lots of help to both VB and BB.....buuuuttttt....nope she will stick to softball and high jumping

I personally blame the HS coaches for not working together and/or with the kids .....if you have a fresh. Come into HS that is great athlete....play all 3 major girls sports.....each of those coaches are trying to get her to play more to improve at their sport....well you can play 3 select sports...so the kid chooses ONE..the one SHE likes best. Maybe not even to be recruited for college...only to be better in HS.....and I know several kids in SB that does JUST that....but for not choosing the other 2 sports.....they get penalized by those coaches. Now....not all coaches are that way....I know several coaches that work around the select players in their respective sports......and those coaches are IN IT FOR THE KIDS....and I thank them for that.

[quote name="Craig S" post="995536" timestamp="1302484437"]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=82947.msg995383#msg995383 date=1302462949]

[/quote]

And that's fine...like I said my kid talks to her coaches beforehand and all decisions are made.....however....if the HS coaches are honest with themselves and their team...and parents...etc....its the TRUE SELECT players that win them games. However it isn't usually a problem for the HS sport and the same Select sport...as they don't compete during the same season in order to NOT INTERFERE..

Its the players that play select softball that interfere with HS volleyball....or Club volleyball that iinterferes with softball....etc etc....so now what? Obviously you have a very talented athlete...she chooses a sport....but would like to play all and rep

resent her school and help them win when she can...but her top priority is to be the best she can in her prefered sport...which will ALSO HELP her high school team.

Then you have this...the volleyball coach is trying to get as many of her VB players to play club.....why...because she recognizes it helps her program...well so the BB coach and the softball coach wants the same.....so the kids comply and seek a select level of play in the sport they choose as per their perspective HS coaches....only to be penalized by coaches of other sports....because the chose softball rather than volleyball...or volleyball rather than BB.....see how this is working out....so what gives.....well in my kids case she doesn't even bother....and at nearly 5-10 she can be lots of help to both VB and BB.....buuuuttttt....nope she will stick to softball and high jumping
[/quote]

No kid or parent should dictate to a coach what they should or should not do. If you or your kid is doing this and getting away with it then your high school coach is weak. If you decide to play a select game instead of a school sport then how are you helping the school? I hope your child gets to that next level. Not many kids do. By the way high jumping is out of the question remember softball come first. State track meet is not important. Softball is her future remember.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="995543" timestamp="1302486240"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=82947.msg995536#msg995536 date=1302484437]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=82947.msg995383#msg995383 date=1302462949]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No kid or parent should dictate to a coach what they should or should not do. If you or your kid is doing this and getting away with it then your high school coach is weak. If you decide to play a select game instead of a school sport then how are you helping the school? I hope your child gets to that next level. Not many kids do. By the way high jumping is out of the question remember softball come first. State track meet is not important. Softball is her future remember.
[/quote]

FIRST it seems you are delusional about HS sports and the level of coaching the kids get....especially in girls sports...now to keep comparing apples to apples....there is not a HS program that can compete with the top select programs in any perspective sport....not to mention the competition the slect teams play.....please don't insult me and talk about the weaker programs that pop up and try to compare THOSE with the top HS programs.

Yes in fact they should DICTATE...no one....I say no one knows better for my kid than I do....we dicuss her future at great length....I help her achieve that.
1. Grades..4.9gpa
2.training
3.recruiting

So are you saying that having a TOP athlete part of the time is not better than not having them at all......if that's the theory.....then when your best player gets hurt....don't let them come back....doesn't really mattter why they were there....then not there.....then there again....when they are ther the team IS better.

Last....it will not interfere with her select softball...and oh by the way....she could be getting recruited as a high jumper as well.....if she so chooses.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="995549" timestamp="1302486840"]
My suggestion is save your money and prepare for your kid to go to college.  Again I hope it works out for you and her but the percentage of kids from this area that go to the next level is slim to none.
[/quote]

And its people like you who cripple the local kids by feeding this trash to them..

The GT Shockers fastpitch softball has assisted 100% of the eligible players to the next level....that would be 27 out of 27 in the 3 !/2 years we've been in existance.......try telling THOSE LOCAL girls they are NOT living their dreams...

You are entitled to your opinion as we all are....but you really should not speak as if you know the facts unless you educate yourself better on the topic.

[quote name="Craig S" post="995553" timestamp="1302487622"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=82947.msg995549#msg995549 date=1302486840]
My suggestion is save your money and prepare for your kid to go to college.  Again I hope it works out for you and her but the percentage of kids from this area that go to the next level is slim to none.
[/quote]

And its people like you who cripple the local kids by feeding this trash to them..

The GT Shockers fastpitch softball has assisted 100% of the eligible players to the next level....that would be 27 out of 27 in the 3 !/2 years we've been in existance.......try telling THOSE LOCAL girls they are NOT living their dreams...

You are entitled to your opinion as we all are....but you really should not speak as if you know the facts unless you educate yourself better on the topic.
[/quote]

Pretty sure I am more educated than you, see my daughter went to the next level but not in softball and i promise you this, she would never miss a high school game for a select team.  If your good enough, missing one tournament won't make a difference. High school memories last a life time.

Here is the deal Craig, you believe Select sports are more important than high school sports and I disagree. But thats OK we can agree to disagree. My daughter made it to the next level without select sports. By the way she did play AAU basketball but that was not what got her to the next level.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="995563" timestamp="1302488318"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=82947.msg995553#msg995553 date=1302487622]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pretty sure I am more educated than you, see my daughter went to the next level but not in softball and i promise you this, she would never miss a high school game for a select team.  If your good enough, missing one tournament won't make a difference. High school memories last a life time.
[/quote]

Great...so you think so...you live a lifetime of memories in HS....I for one can't really give you much of my high school happenings....and I played college baseball....which was a much bigger memory. Missing one probably wouldn't hurt her...you are correct....so the same can be said of HS sports....missing one game shouldnt hurt her either....so what's your real point....there are actually college softball players who don't even play HS softball....I'm not recommending that...just saying....HS sports are so insignificant to playing at the next level some don't bother....

[quote name="Craig S" post="995573" timestamp="1302489074"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=82947.msg995563#msg995563 date=1302488318]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Great...so you think so...you live a lifetime of memories in HS....I for one can't really give you much of my high school happenings....and I played college baseball....which was a much bigger memory. Missing one probably wouldn't hurt her...you are correct....so the same can be said of HS sports....missing one game shouldnt hurt her either....so what's your real point....there are actually college softball players who don't even play HS softball....I'm not recommending that...just saying....HS sports are so insignificant to playing at the next level some don't bother....
[/quote]

Sad, Is all I can say. Must of not had many friends. ;D

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="995574" timestamp="1302489702"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=82947.msg995573#msg995573 date=1302489074]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Limited is all I can say....yes plenty and still do as does my daughter...all over the country...you know the ones that share in the same dream that she does and that she competes against in Colorado...Florida....at camps in Miss..Louisiana....etc.

Get it yet.....HS is supposed to be fun...right..prom...homecoming....clubs...dating...sports....etc.....not a disapointment from from coaches who think THEY are responsible for their success because they have them for 4 year during a limited time as compared to the select teams who have had them for10 years year round and compete against the best there is to offer around the ENTIRE country.....

Congrats to your DD...you need to recognize she is probably the exception....not the rule.

[quote name="Craig S" post="995579" timestamp="1302491027"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=82947.msg995574#msg995574 date=1302489702]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=82947.msg995573#msg995573 date=1302489074]
My suggestion is save your money and prepare for your kid to go to college.  Again I hope it works out for you and her but the percentage of kids from this area that go to the next level is slim to none.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pretty sure I am more educated than you, see my daughter went to the next level but not in softball and i promise you this, she would never miss a high school game for a select team.  If your good enough, missing one tournament won't make a difference. High school memories last a life time.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Limited is all I can say....yes plenty and still do as does my daughter...all over the country...you know the ones that share in the same dream that she does and that she competes against in Colorado...Florida....at camps in Miss..Louisiana....etc.

Get it yet.....HS is supposed to be fun...right..prom...homecoming....clubs...dating...sports....etc.....not a disapointment from from coaches who think THEY are responsible for their success because they have them for 4 year during a limited time as compared to the select teams who have had them for10 years year round and compete against the best there is to offer around the ENTIRE country.....

Congrats to your DD...you need to recognize she is probably the exception....not the rule.
[/quote]

Me and you have gotten off tract. My daughter played AAU and i loved it, going all over the country to play ball was awesome. Memories I will never forget and neither will she but she would never miss an high school sporting event for an AAU event. I do understand the exsposure these kids gets from select teams but not at the expense of their high school team. Sorry but that is my opinion and mine only.  I guess we were fortunate to have good high school coaches.

Perhaps we did.

So from there then we will definately have to agree to disagree. HS sports are a past time you do with your friends....and of course try to win..as far as you can into the playoffs....earn letter jackets...get patches...all district...state whatever etc.....but not much more than that.

[quote name="Craig S" post="995591" timestamp="1302492469"]
Perhaps we did.

So from there then we will definately have to agree to disagree. HS sports are a past time you do with your friends....and of course try to win..as far as you can into the playoffs....earn letter jackets...get patches...all district...state whatever etc.....but not much more than that.
[/quote]

Look at it this way Craig, we had good conversation even though we disagree. This is the most action on the track thread in a while. LOL!!! I wish your daughter the best. Enjoy while she is young, you cannot get those years back. It is awesome that you are involved like you are with your children. There are alot of parents who are not. I applaud you.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder