Port Neches-Groves vs. Livingston Game Thread/Livingston wins/Comments

First off, which coaches have "moral" problems? I believe it should say "morale". Next, while I agree that high school baseball is meant to be fun, is it any less serious than PNG football? PNG goes nuts over football, but baseball is supposed to be fun? Maybe the baseball coach takes baseball just as serious as all the rest of the PNG people take football.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Curious Onlooker" post="995234" timestamp="1302396450"]
[quote author=Cody1971 link=topic=82915.msg995228#msg995228 date=1302393340]
Coaches do more than just coach.  They prepare these kids for life.  Many of these boys have not been discipllined at home leaving the coaches the unenviable task of teaching them life's lessons on the ball field.  I think that the most successful high school ballplayers.....the one's who stick with the program in good times as well as bad, lead the most successful lives after high school.
[/quote]

Do you REALLY think the problem is that he's dealing with a bunch of thugs? REALLY?  ???
[/quote]

Thugs.....No      Over-inflated egos....a few

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="995309" timestamp="1302445590"]
Fun is summer league.

Ask any high school player, be it football, softball, basketball, track if they want  to win or just have fun?
[/quote]

Agreed... And I still believe this conversation wouldn't be happening if PNG was at the top right now. Would people be questioning how "fun" a coach is if they are winning?

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="995309" timestamp="1302445590"]
Fun is summer league.

Ask any high school player, be it football, softball, basketball, track if they want  to win or just have fun?
[/quote]

Some coaches know how to win AND make it fun.  That is when you know you have a real keeper.

[quote name="astrofan" post="995294" timestamp="1302437341"]
[quote author=Cody1971 link=topic=82915.msg995228#msg995228 date=1302393340]
Coaches do more than just coach.  They prepare these kids for life.  Many of these boys have not been discipllined at home leaving the coaches the unenviable task of teaching them life's lessons on the ball field.  I think that the most successful high school ballplayers.....the one's who stick with the program in good times as well as bad, lead the most successful lives after high school.
[/quote] If people are honest, alot of the kids these days are SPOILED. When these kids were little some of them would say and act like they wanted and nobody corrected them.  If a coach didnt rub them on the head and say thats ok when they made errors, parents didnt like the coach.  From birth as a parent you prepare your child for ups and downs in life.  A coach is supposed to work with the talent he is given and try to be competitive.  FAIR AND COMPETITIVE!
[/quote]

Some people have been watching too many [i]feel good[/i] sports movies. 99.9% of the time, real life does not equal "Remember the Titans", "The Bad News Bears", or "Rudy".

These young men are juniors and seniors, and most have been playing baseball, every spring and summer, since they were big enough to pick up a bat. Do you really think this is the first time they've ever experienced a bad season, over the past 13-14 years? Did all of these boys win game after game after game their entire lives, then suddenly turn into quitters during their final years of playing after the "new experience" of a few tough losses?

I don't have a son on the team, but I do know several of these boys, and I wouldn't consider [i]any[/i] of them to be undisciplined or spoiled. Quite the opposite, in fact. They made it this far many reasons, such as the love of the game, dedication and sacrifice. I have no idea of WHAT the actual problem is, but to blame the players ([i]or[/i] the coach) without knowing the whole story is uncalled for.

Don't count the Indians out yet... but if you do, please think twice before you decide to malign who I know to be a great bunch of kids.

Congrats to Livingston for beating PNG twice in the same season. Usually a split is the best you can hope for against PNG.

My Dogs are in sole possession of first place and PNG will be battling hard to stay alive. Should be a good game Tuesday. Good luck to both teams.

[quote name="baddog" post="995348" timestamp="1302455391"]
Congrats to Livingston for beating PNG twice in the same season. Usually a split is the best you can hope for against PNG.

My Dogs are in sole possession of first place and PNG will be battling hard to stay alive. Should be a good game Tuesday. Good luck to both teams.
[/quote]
amen!!...gotta admit i'm pullin for the dogs though!!

[quote name="westend1" post="995328" timestamp="1302448797"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=82915.msg995309#msg995309 date=1302445590]
Fun is summer league.

[/quote]

Some coaches know how to win AND make it fun.  That is when you know you have a real keeper.
[/quote]This is what happens when you bring Jr. High coach's up to the High school level to coach Varsity Baseball at one of the Premier Baseball schools for the past 25 years or more. I think the decision to bring a coach from within hurt this team and the school board should have had this job open to find the best coach they could have to keep the tradition going at PNG. Why does football only get the opprotunity to field the best coaching staff. It should be that way for all the sports not just Football. I hope the best for the team and the coach's to get it together and find a way to be successful this year but with such adversity as this it will be difficult to do.Good luck the rest of the year .

Guest Ranger83
It's always the coaches fault when your losing. Did he start coaching poorly when district started because we did not hear this until now?

PN-G is a good team that has had a tough season. I wouldn't count them out quite yet there is still a lot of baseball left to play and the BEST thing about baseball is that anybody can win on any given night. It kind of dissapoints me to see PN-G having this dissapointing seasos.

But on the bright side the Lions are 5-3 in district  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest tappedout
I believe that some of the team wanted Brevell to get the coaching job and the other's did not. That's what I heard since he was named the coach. You have to earn respect as a coach. Everyone may not have liked Stone but they respected him and played hard for him no matter what. This team has lacked the discipline as past team's. If Stone told someone to do something, you better believe that it happened. The player's don't like or have any respect for the asst. coach. This is not my opinion, this is straight from some of the player's. I have watched one of our pitcher's question his pitch selection on numerous occasions. This is probally one of the most talented team's that PNG has had in year's. If they can't win with this team than they will have serious problem's with the group's behind them. I know the JV and Sophomore team's practice's are a joke. It appear's that football player's are getting the benefit of the doubt throughout the program. Some people have been playing on the JV team and Sophomore team's and have not had to prove themselves what so ever. Don't be fooled by the JV team being undefeated. Most of player's leave practice and go practice in other places because they aint getting it at their regular practice. Most of the JV team's are weak in the area because they dont have the number's and their better player's are on the varsity. I've heard kid's leave practice and say that it was a joke and had better practice's in select ball and LL. That's pretty bad when the player's don't even respect what the program is doing. This is not the way a top baseball program should be ran. I watched a kid on the JV go 6-7 with 5 RBI's in the tournament's and hasn't batted since because the coach told him he wasn't a hitter. How does he know that whenever he hasn't throw to one batter all season. Some kid's get punished for certain thing's and another kid can do the same thing and nothing happen's. It all depend's on who you are. Anyone that disagree's with any of this has blinder's on. I'm sure some will attack me for being honest. This season is on it's way to being a total failure and whose fault will it be?

[quote name="Old61Eagle" post="995515" timestamp="1302480423"]
Hey Half, not sure what you are talking about.  The new PNG varsity coach was not brought up from "Jr. High".  He was the Asst. Varsity coach last year plus was the Varsity coach at Lumberton a few years back.
[/quote]Here is the problem now where does this stop. Does this start a trickle down effect through the JV and Freshman teams. This is a serious problem that no matter who is at fault the coach's or the kids how do you fix it. I see alot of the problems being so many of these young men take private lessons from area Hitting and Pitching Instructors and the coach doesnt like something the young man is doing in his mechanics and alot of the high school coach's have animosity towards the instructors because it shows their flaws as a coach to not be able to teach the game like he should be able to. And for a dad who has kids coming up in years to come it concerns me. And in most high school Baseball coach's posistions you have football coach's trying to coach as assistants not Baseball guys. Thats why practices get bad they are extremely limited in what they can teach. Thats why kids goof of and feel like they do because when they go to their Professional Instructors its about them learning new ideas and approach's to the game. Thats why i made the statement i made in my previous comment if you dont go out and get the best BASEBALL coach you can this is where your gonna end up.

I'm not disagreeing with anything, just have something to say...
Those "professional instructors" aren't all good either, as people on here believe some of the local coaches to be. I have some very close friends who are instructors and they are great baseball guys. Those same guys, openly admit that not all of the private coaches know their stuff and actually quite a few are lacking. No matter whether it's private, public or whatever, a good coach is a good coach. You know who the good ones are and who aren't. Also, a reason some of those private coaches aren't head coaches at schools is because they don't/can't/won't teach for whatever reason. And if you know how the rules go, you MUST be a full-time employee at the school (ie teacher, admin, etc.) to be a head coach in public schools. If you don't like how that goes, there's always Kelly.

Years, (humm) and years ago, when I played sports, most kids were told if we started a sport we would finish it. Most fathers did not allow their kid to quit.
Regardless of what the problem is or was, quiting is not the solution.
(of course kids now know more than their parents do)

The problem with this team is that you have a few "bad apples" in the group that bring the whole team down.The reason the whole team suffers is because these undevoted kids are some seniors who just don't care. Is that a good example to be setting for all of the underclassmen on the team? The coach is not the problem, you just have some kids who'd rather talk about what they're doing for the weekend than focusing on the game.

[quote name="baseballkid06" post="995674" timestamp="1302534151"]
The problem with this team is that you have a few "bad apples" in the group that bring the whole team down.The reason the whole team suffers is because these undevoted kids are some seniors who just don't care. Is that a good example to be setting for all of the underclassmen on the team? The coach is not the problem, you just have some kids who'd rather talk about what they're doing for the weekend than focusing on the game.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name="callumlikeiseeum" post="995689" timestamp="1302536361"]
The start of this snowball effect?

IMO

The final out of the first game of district vs. Livingston.

Remember that strange play?

Their season in a nut shell.

And it was'nt the coach that over ran second base!

PNG might or might not have scored one more to tie it up and go on to win the game, but we will never know.

[/quote]

For what it's worth, that player has not quit or even come close.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder